No Gps
1082 11 2018-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
James R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423871 ft
United States

Just needing some advice and thoughts. I was filing a creek in a valley today. The gps could not pick up a signal so I was stuck flying with the vison system.

First stop didn't go bad. Was slightly challenging but nothing to prevent me from getting he job done.

The second stop was almost a complete nightmare. The drone was very shifty and at one point flew backwards 20ft before I got control almost hitting some tree branches above the creek.

I decided to try to fly in Atti mode. Again the drone was being pushed around too much.

My question is, when filming like this, what tips can you offer? Or is this one of those things where experience pays off?
image.jpeg
2018-3-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hello James, may I know which drone do you refer? In ATTI mode, the drone can not hover or brake, which requires high skills. I'd suggest practice in advance.
2018-3-5
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-5 00:01
Hello James, may I know which drone do you refer? In ATTI mode, the drone can not hover or brake, which requires high skills. I'd suggest practice in advance.

I have the Phantom 4
2018-3-5
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-5 00:01

I knew in ATTI mode it wouldn't hover or break. What surprised me was the lack of control in VPS..... I knew that the drone would sway back and forth, however when it just take off running backwards that freaked me out a little.
2018-3-5
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

James R Posted at 2018-3-5 09:45
I knew in ATTI mode it wouldn't hover or break. What surprised me was the lack of control in VPS..... I knew that the drone would sway back and forth, however when it just take off running backwards that freaked me out a little.

I would think it should hover and maintain altitude for you even without GPS. When it atti mode it will certainly not hold position without GPS though. You are prone to wind pushing it around and such. Yes, flying in Atti mode requires some practice but something you should get used to out in the open before attempting a mission thru the woods. Were you experiencing strong winds? Don't know why it would just start taking off on your otherwise.
2018-3-5
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

VPS requires good lighting and a surface with a strong pattern or texture.
Flowing water is always going to be difficult/impossible for the VPS to work with.
2018-3-5
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-3-5 13:18
VPS requires good lighting and a surface with a strong pattern or texture.
Flowing water is always going to be difficult/impossible for the VPS to work with.

I remember people taking about how it doesnt like water..... The way the drone acted, it was almost like it reared back thinking it was going to strike something....

Just something I need to keep in mind.
2018-3-5
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice shot James
2018-3-5
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

Hey Thanks! Still have a lot to learn. Helps pass the time when I'm free :0
2018-3-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The working of VPS requires the clear texture, you can check here:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4/20170706/Phantom_4_User_Manual_v1.6.pdf
VPS.png
2018-3-9
Use props
James R
lvl.4
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-9 00:16
The working of  VPS requires the clear texture, you can check here:
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4/20170706/Phantom_4_User_Manual_v1.6.pdf

Thanks! Great information!

I'll add cleaning to the sensors.......
2018-3-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

James R Posted at 2018-3-9 13:57
Thanks! Great information!

I'll add cleaning to the sensors.......

You are welcome. Feel free to contact us if there are any further questions.
2018-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules