Summer Flying in the Desert
648 11 2018-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_kca9X8IYoTKM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 180892 ft
United States

Flying has been great so far because the sun here in Arizona hasd been tolerable. I have been looking into Crystal Sky to boost the brightness instead of using my iPhone for the intense summer sun. According to DJI  there should be a mount available that will work with Crystal Sky and the Mavic Air by Summer. The issue is by the time you have bought Crystal Sky and the mount you're looking at about 550 or more depending on which Crystakl Sky you purchnase.  The hoods that I have seen online look iffy at best.  In addition DJI said all the Apple products have a tendency to overheat because of the metal and suggested I get a SAMSUNG TAB 3. That's going to be about the same price as the  ower end Crystal Sky and the mount.  Any suggestions?

Andy
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome another fellow drone flier from Arizona. I'm from Phoenix, I'm also interested in finding an accessory to combat the bright sun here when flying.
2018-3-5
Use props
djiuser_kca9X8IYoTKM
lvl.2
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-5 15:04
Welcome another fellow drone flier from Arizona. I'm from Phoenix, I'm also interested in finding an accessory to combat the bright sun here when flying.

Let's hope we get some helpful answers. I spoke with Innovation (DJI) store in Tempe. Guy was nice. Said the starting model of the Crystal Sky was 2.5 times as bright as an iPhone and the mounts should be out by Summer. He didn't have an exact price on the mount but ballpark at about 75.00 .

I did buy this and it's a help at the moment but I am sure it will be worthless by May.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also bought this as well and recommend it for the Air.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2018-3-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use an iPhone 7+ and simply bought the official DJI Mavic Pro series sunhood from their online store. Covers the screen very well and is compatible with the Spark and Air RC's too. Not perfect but a much cheaper solution to crystal sky.
2018-3-5
Use props
djiuser_kca9X8IYoTKM
lvl.2
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-5 15:19
I use an iPhone 7+ and simply bought the official DJI Mavic Pro series sunhood from their online store. Covers the screen very well and is compatible with the Spark and Air RC's too. Not perfect but a much cheaper solution to crystal sky.
The Crystal Sky price is crazy. Is this the one you bought?https://store.dji.com/product/ma ... roller-monitor-hood
2018-3-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_kca9X8IYoTKM Posted at 2018-3-5 15:25
Is out easy to get on and off? I looked at that but thought if you need to get your hand in there to go to the home button it would be difficult? The Crystal Sky price is crazy.

Very easy - it slips on the antenna so keeps them parallel to each other too for a stronger signal. It also has a metallic flip lid and works great for my needs. I hold the RC in my palms so my fingers also act as a shade to the sides. On full brightness I never have to turn away from the sun. The best solution for 20 bucks and doesnt obstruct any of the RC buttons.
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_kca9X8IYoTKM Posted at 2018-3-5 15:12
Let's hope we get some helpful answers. I spoke with Innovation (DJI) store in Tempe. Guy was nice. Said the starting model of the Crystal Sky was 2.5 times as bright as an iPhone and the mounts should be out by Summer. He didn't have an exact price on the mount but ballpark at about 75.00 .

I did buy this and it's a help at the moment but I am sure it will be worthless by May.

That's not that bad. Where do you fly usually, perhaps we can put together a contingent of people locally for us all to fly all together?
2018-3-5
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

The Crystal Sky price is crazy. Is this the one you bought?https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-remote-controller-monitor-hood

I'm thinking about getting that hood, the only problem is I get pretty dependent on parabolic range extenders and this hood it isn't compatible.
2018-3-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Crystal Sky price is crazy. Is this the one you bought?https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-remote-controller-monitor-hood

Yep - that's the one.
2018-3-5
Use props
djiuser_kca9X8IYoTKM
lvl.2
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-5 15:42
Yep - that's the one.

Thanks. Just ordered it.
2018-3-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cool! Hope it works for you!   
2018-3-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Andy, nice to know you have figured this out. Do not forget to share your works with us.
2018-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules