The mavic air is simply a spark improvement. Not worth it but extremely hyped
9854 35 2018-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg
lvl.3

Philippines

The mavic air is pretty hyped and exaggerated but is simply a spark improvement.
Air uses improved wifi and is limited to 2.5miles compared to the mavic which has almost 3x more. This matters a lot if there are obstructions, the pro can do the job but the air can't.

The mavic air's smaller size does not really matter in portability. Anything smaller than the mavic pro is pretty pointless. It does not open any new opportunities but rather to say you got an even smaller drone.

The mavic air is slightly louder than the regular mavic pro. So the platinum is simply much quieter, no competition there.

The flight time of the platinum is almost double.

The mavic air has no advantage except the cheaper price which may not be the case once the platinum gets discounted price. And the crash durability.
2018-3-5
Use props
CSMelzer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 182808 ft
United States

Nice opinion. I love my Air... If anyone out there actually reads this post and wants some real world clarification, i've posted a few videos I've done with my mavic air. Compare those to peoples Spark vids and form your own opinion. Happy flying
2018-3-5
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

Whatever you need to think to make yourself feel better. How is 4 miles vs 2.5 miles 3x? Smaller isn't more portable?

We need some peanut butter for this Jelly.
'
2018-3-5
Use props
djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg
lvl.3

Philippines

CSMelzer Posted at 2018-3-5 18:58
Nice opinion. I love my Air... If anyone out there actually reads this post and wants some real world clarification, i've posted a few videos I've done with my mavic air. Compare those to peoples Spark vids and form your own opinion. Happy flying

There's opinion but it involves truth in battery, range and noise
2018-3-5
Use props
djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg
lvl.3

Philippines

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-3-5 19:04
Whatever you need to think to make yourself feel better. How is 4 miles vs 2.5 miles 3x? Smaller isn't more portable?

A roach is more portable than an ant? Lol
Unless you're putting it on your underwear then yes that makes a difference

Range is double in real world test both stick without antenna

2018-3-5
Use props
djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg
lvl.3

Philippines

I don't feel better to see you pay twice a spark for a spark

Mavic air is just peanuts.
The platinum is the butter.
(Literally and truly)
2018-3-5
Use props
kfloke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149961 ft
Singapore

There is always good and bad. Everyone will have their own opinion, by the way which Mavic you own?
2018-3-5
Use props
djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg
lvl.3

Philippines

kfloke Posted at 2018-3-5 20:38
There is always good and bad. Everyone will have their own opinion, by the way which Mavic you own?

About to get the platinum
2018-3-5
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

In your assessment of the Mavic Air vs the Mavic Pro, you seem to have done what a number of people have done and given a subjective opinion. Enjoy your Mavic Pro when you get it. It's an incredible machine and the best option if you want the increased flight time and range.

I looked at my options and decided to go with the Mavic Air and I'm not disappointed with my choice. There are more advantages to the Air than you are giving it credit for, but that's OK. It's probably just that those things aren't important to you, which is why the Mavic Pro is a better choice for you.
2018-3-5
Use props
kfloke
lvl.4
Singapore

Good choice . I'm debating to get Air or Pro and decided to go for Air due to the portability.

Even though my area have a lot of interference and cannot fly far, I still love the Air cos much more portable to bring around with me...

2018-3-5
Use props
kfloke
lvl.4
Singapore

Tom_A Posted at 2018-3-5 20:58
In your assessment of the Mavic Air vs the Mavic Pro, you seem to have done what a number of people have done and given a subjective opinion. Enjoy your Mavic Pro when you get it. It's an incredible machine and the best option if you want the increased flight time and range.

I looked at my options and decided to go with the Mavic Air and I'm not disappointed with my choice. There are more advantages to the Air than you are giving it credit for, but that's OK. It's probably just that those things aren't important to you, which is why the Mavic Pro is a better choice for you.

I agree!!!
2018-3-5
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have all 3 Mavics and even though I do agree the Air is somewhat 'hyped and exaggerated', but I'm afraid that I will pick the Air if and only if I were to choose only 1 out of the 3.
2018-3-5
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft
Spain

I can't believe this is still an ongoing discussion. People should get whatever they think fits better their needs. I watched the launch from the MA and decided I want to have the MPP so I went for it.
2018-3-5
Use props
cyborg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

Thanks to you guys, poor OP is now thoroughly confused ..  he was better off just buying whatever he preferred rather than posting a comparison thread here..
2018-3-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

If you ask me there is room for all the models right now.

If you want 'cheap' and 'fun' go for Spark. (with a decent camera as a bonus)
If you want a bit more control, flight range, higher bitrate etc. go for Mavic Air.
If you want to have all the flight modes, profiles, long flight time and better lens, go for Mavic Pro. (that one only lacks the 100Mb/s bitrate if you ask me)
And if you are really serious and don't mind the size etc, go for a bigger one!
2018-3-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-5 23:20

I think thats says it all
2018-3-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

A CW Posted at 2018-3-5 23:32
I think thats says it all

Thanks!
2018-3-5
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

For as much as I love the original Pro and the Platinum, the tilted horizon is becoming more and more unacceptable the more I use the Air. I really wish my Platinum had the Air’s way flatter horizon, and also the ‘reverse’ and ‘free’ modes in TapFly.
2018-3-6
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Wow, thank you for sharing this testimony and getting me off of cloud nine. I really wished you've elaborated this sooner because now you left me disillusioned...
Here I was, enjoying every aspect of my Mavic Air, thinking it would fit my every need, small enough to take it on every roadtrip, shooting great pictures and 4K video only to find out now that I merely bought an upgraded Spark. Oh boy, did I miss out....
Now I'm really puzzled, what should I do??? Please give me some advise Opening Poster, should I sell this piece of crap and buy a real drone that is worth buying???

2018-3-6
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-6 01:13
Wow, thank you for sharing this testimony and getting me off of cloud nine. I really wished you've elaborated this sooner because now you left me disillusioned...
Here I was, enjoying every aspect of my Mavic Air, thinking it would fit my every need, small enough to take it on every roadtrip, shooting great pictures and 4K video only to find out now that I merely bought an upgraded Spark. Oh boy, did I miss out....
Now I'm really puzzled, what should I do??? Please give me some advise Opening Poster, should I sell this piece of crap and buy a real drone that is worth buying???

I went into the same trap and you see me devastated now in view of the brutal truth...
2018-3-6
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-6 01:21
I went into the same trap and you see me devastated now in view of the brutal truth...

Looks like we're in the same boat Wachtberger... Now what should we do?  I'm afraid the word might be out now and nobody would be dumb enough to take it of our hands.

;)
2018-3-6
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-6 01:25
Looks like we're in the same boat Wachtberger... Now what should we do?  I'm afraid the word might be out now and nobody would be dumb enough to take it of our hands.

;)

As I always say, there are things in life one has to go through and there are situations where only one thing helps, that is keeping your composure. ;-)
2018-3-6
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

As I heard similar from another learned user...(It was funny...)

I will offer you my standard $100 recovery fee for your drones, as they are no longer compatible in todays world.
Please pm me your account details and passwords, and if you still keep your back door key under that plant pot on the left....
2018-3-6
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-6 01:25

;)

It’s a crowded boat
2018-3-6
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

Hmm, funny how people see how the different models fit.

From my perspective I watched all the product launches and only the Air piqued my interest enough to buy.

MP - nice but too expensive and big for my use, wont fit in my EDC pack along with my mirrorless camera to supplement it
Spark - great size but not as advanced as I needed and I didn't get why it wasn't foldable which would have made it even smaller. Also price goes up when you have to buy the controller
MA - perfect (for now) balance of size, image quality and price. Best fit for my current needs. Fits my pack, but has excellent 4k and photos. Can take it as an EDC but also good enough to stitch pics together and print them large for the wall.
2018-3-6
Use props
Kevin79
lvl.4
Flight distance : 270899 ft
United States

I am also just barely getting by with my upgraded Spark. Having a higher frame rate camera, greater portability, 3 directional obstacle avoidance, higher bitrate, internal storage, faster high speed, gesture controls, and more quick shot features are just so utterly useless when compared to oh so superior Mavic Pro and Platinum. Excuse me, I have to go find the nearest Mavic Pro owner and bow to their superiority now.
2018-3-6
Use props
Kevin79
lvl.4
Flight distance : 270899 ft
United States

Also where did the OP learn math. Almost 3x the distance??? Almost 2x more flight time????????
2018-3-6
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hang on a minute.... the OP doesn't own either drone..... well I bow to his/her experience and join the crew of the sinking MA ship/boat.
2018-3-6
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

I own a Platinum, an Air and a Spark. I love all of them but since getting the Air I fly it the most. I’m giving my Spark away to a friend. They all have their uses. I  love my Air the most.
2018-3-6
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-5 23:20

As my Dad always said "There's an ass for every seat" and my ass will fit in every seat I can afford !
2018-3-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-6 12:34
As my Dad always said "There's an ass for every seat" and my ass will fit in every seat I can afford !

Wise words
2018-3-6
Use props
TexasAerials
lvl.4
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

Theres always a trade off size/portability vs flight time/speed/performance.  While a lot of people have characterized the Mavic Air as a Spark II but I think that while the Spark 2 might get 4K, it probably will still only have a 2-axis gimbal and be limited 30fps and have its options limited, like .JPG only (no raw), no flat color profiles or D-log, etc. like the mavic air and mavic pro have.  

If you look at the new Ryze Tello, you can see what sort of capabilities of a drone using only image stabilization with no gimbal.  where you have to be careful is when the camera has a wide angle lens with a lot of distortion, so the image stabilization causes wierd distortions of the stabilized image.  
2018-3-6
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

M2Wair Posted at 2018-3-6 10:53
Hang on a minute.... the OP doesn't own either drone..... well I bow to his/her experience and join the crew of the sinking MA ship/boat.

Very good observation that I had forgotten to mention in my responses. It must have been a great intuition that overcame OP and providing him superior wisdom while being deprived from first hand experience. A glass bowl (or other substances) might have helped him to achieve such an accurate assessment of the serious crisis we are facing now.
2018-3-6
Use props
djiuser_2OzbLXEug6OZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 98 ft
United States

I have both MA and MP and I do agree that there was too much MA hype.
One example is comment about focus-free lens feature.
There is no such thing as focus-free lens, it is a fixed focus lens which means that you can't choose focus plane.
One other feature on MP that was often over looked is the remote.
MP remote has many more controls but only the only feature that was often mentioned was the "useless" or redundant built-in display.
I can go on but I will stop here.
I'm definitely looking forward for the real upgrade Mavic Pro 2.
2018-3-6
Use props
Cogitare
lvl.2
Flight distance : 131713 ft

2x more flight time?!?!? Stop spreading misleading information! If you wanna know the real number here it is: 27/21 ~ 1,29x, the Mavic Pro has about 1,29x more floght time. Not even close to 2x more flight time, actually in that case you are better off saying that the MP has the same flight time ;)

From my perspective (pretty neutral as I don’t own any of them) I would say that the MA is closer to the Mavic Pro than the Spark. The only part I can agree on is that the MA is overhyped but that is the importance of having the ultimate transmission signal aswell. Don’t take me wrong, it’s something to consider when buying but for some people, having 7km instead of 4km is dealbreaking even if they have to pay $200 more AND lose on other great features. Right now, the ONLY real advantage of the MP is video transmission type and MA is better in so many other ways. Right now for most people, MA is a better drone even if they were priced the same. It really outweighs it’s cons compared to the MP.
2018-4-3
Use props
kevin bellanger
lvl.1

United States

Lol. True . a case of drone elightism i suspect
2019-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules