I added a second battery to the controller
765 22 2018-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
drone_user
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473743 ft
United States

I have notice the battery In the controller drops fast well I think it does so I added other battery to the controller I bought one of those battery bank that you can buy to charge cell phones with I used Velcro to hold the battery bank in place

bought a 5,000mah with a display that tells me how much of a charge it has and it two usb ports on it. I plug it in on the side of the controller. my ipad is plug in on the bottom usb on the controller

so when I am flying the battery bank charges the controller as I fly   

I have 3 batteries for the mavic   so I need the controller charge up as much as I can

2018-3-5
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

That's nice! Can we see pictures of your setup?
2018-3-5
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

I uses a tablet holder I used Velcro on the battery bank. so a person could uses Velcro on the back of their phone, etc

the other pic is my wearing the controller  

sorry for the bad pictures   

2018-3-5
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

2018-3-5
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

controller 2222.jpg
2018-3-5
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Great Idea mate......must be using an Android Tablet ?? I have four batteries for my MPP and using a Nvidia K1 and even though I charged up both the controller and the K1 full after flying using the four batteries it gave the controller charge a hard time....ended up buying an Ipad mini 4...no more probs with controller charging the tablet.
2018-3-5
Use props
Theppgcowboy
lvl.3
United States

I was wondering if that set up would work
Just the other day.
2018-3-5
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

yes it seems to I have video when I test in the living room I cant fly it and test it cause its snowing here   I have a new ipad mini 4 just a fyi

also yes when Ipad mini is plug it to controller it does not charge it just a fyi
2018-3-5
Use props
kfloke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149961 ft
Singapore

Very good idea!
2018-3-5
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13528625 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Brillant Idea
2018-3-6
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly my Mavic Platinum until all 4 batteries are dead and I still have 60% battery left on the controller.  Does the battery life decline in time. I’ve had mine only a couple of months.
2018-3-6
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Very good Idea .

I think I will give it a try. Thanks!
2018-3-6
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 15095994 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!      
2018-3-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That looks inventive!
2018-3-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It looks cool! Thanks for posting!
2018-3-11
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 40085869 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I always carry a power bank with me, but up to now never used it. As controller battery last longer than all the others (I have 4 batteries and a car charger so I had up to 6 batteries depleted without problem with controller). iPad mini 4 is also depleting faster since iOS 11
But nice setup, how You carry those around?
2018-3-11
Use props
Ivanski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 714977 ft
Hong Kong

How many total hours did you fly?
I am using ipad mini 4.
My controller usually remain more than 70% after flying 3 batteries.
2018-3-11
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

alex_markov Posted at 2018-3-11 00:22
I always carry a power bank with me, but up to now never used it. As controller battery last longer than all the others (I have 4 batteries and a car charger so I had up to 6 batteries depleted without problem with controller). iPad mini 4 is also depleting faster since iOS 11
But nice setup, how You carry those around?

thanks and what you mean by how I carry those around?
2018-3-11
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

I would like to point out a few things on why I uses this setup

yes I fly in the cold ( batteries discharge faster)

as with any battery overtime it will not hold a charge like it uses to ( this would help with that problem)

I don't like plugging my charger into the controller cause over time I bet that usb port will wear out   So my cable always stays plug in on the side I charger it thru the battery pack. IF I don't need to charge it I just leave the battery pack off   cheaper to replace a battery pack then a controller

I also use and android phone too! when that is plug in it charges the phone thru the controller   so this helps with that problem

those are just a few reasons why
2018-3-11
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 40085869 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

drone_user Posted at 2018-3-11 00:47
thanks and what you mean by how I carry those around?

Sorry for not making clear. Your question made me finally to post my bag setting https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid1247710
I hate to lose time mending things before the flight so I keep most of it preassembled - and this trigger my question
2018-3-11
Use props
rikk08
Captain
Flight distance : 25105374 ft
  • >>>
Malta

I normally charge it while it's in my bag and I'm travelling to where I want to fly but that is an awesome idea. good job on the diy
2018-3-11
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

alex_markov Posted at 2018-3-11 02:40
Sorry for not making clear. Your question made me finally to post my bag setting https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;extra=#pid1247710
I hate to lose time mending things before the flight so I keep most of it preassembled - and this trigger my question

ohh ok no worries   I just leave the battery on my tablet holder I don't talk it off I charge it that way to my tablet holder is modified I add a "wooden" leg that's what keep it away from me cause when the ipad was resting on me it would get bumped so that leg keep it out

here is the picture of the "leg" hard to see but I think you will know what I mean

controller 2.jpg
2018-3-11
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's a good reminder, I bought one of these last year with the intention of using it to charge phone/display device. But it doubles up nicely as an RC charger as you've highlighted.
Shopping around on theses there are some good deals even in the Waitroses of this world.
2018-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules