Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Hi,

With the new DJI CoPilot storage solution soon to arrive, will it be possible to install the DJI CoPilot App on the CrystalSky? I hope DJI will allow that or include it in CS firmware.
2018-3-6
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

You can install third party apps on the Crystal Sky. This is, however a new app. Certainly may be a possibility down the road. However, you need to make sure that it is Android based as Crystal Sky has that type of operating system.
2018-3-6
Use props
JMR58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

If you mean the Dji Pilot app, it is already on the Crystalsky, go to Settings, Launcher Settings, there you can select the Pilot app..EDIT: i see now it is a different app and also free.
2018-3-6
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI-Mark Posted at 2018-3-6 07:58
You can install third party apps on the Crystal Sky. This is, however a new app. Certainly may be a possibility down the road. However, you need to make sure that it is Android based as Crystal Sky has that type of operating system.

Hi,

Yes I know I can install 3:rd party apps, but only if they are standalone and does not need Google Play. So I hope that DJI have thought about it, and:

1. Either see to it that the app is able to install *without* the need of Google Play.
2. Or make Google Play available on the CrystalSky.

DJI should really make *all* their apps available on all OS:es (iOS/Android/Win/OSX and Crystalsky (limited Android)). The need of having 3 different tablets to make different jobs with DJI equipment is a pain, both economically and logistically.
2018-3-6
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Rob W Posted at 2018-3-6 22:25
Hi,

Yes I know I can install 3:rd party apps, but only if they are standalone and does not need Google Play. So I hope that DJI have thought about it, and:

Rob, If you use the third party app, we can not make sure it function well in CS. We do not recommend you users use other apps on CS. Thanks for your attention.
2018-3-9
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-9 03:23
Rob, sorry that CS does not support third party app now. If you use it, we can not make sure it function well in CS. Your requirement will be forwarded. Thanks for your attention.

I haven't tested the app yet, as I'm not sure it is even released. But I hope to chime in early and ask if the software for the DJI CoPilot is working on the Crystalsky? If it is not - make the devs know that it should. It is after all two DJI products intended for proffessional use. Crystalsky have everything needed for it to work so there is no excuse for that it could not.
2018-3-9
Use props
broadlandboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1654222 ft
United States

Isn't Copilot IOS not Android so not compatible with Crystalsky
2018-3-9
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

broadlandboy Posted at 2018-3-9 07:50
Isn't Copilot IOS not Android so not compatible with Crystalsky

I think you misunderstand what app I mean. DJI CoPilot is a new portable harddrive made by Lacie. DJI branded. You can manage videos/photos stored on the disk via an app.
On the specifications it says: Mobile phone or tablet running iOS 10.3 or Android 4.4 or later.
CrystalSky is Android.

Full specifications here: https://www.lacie.com/www-conten ... -1-1711US-en_GB.pdf
Product page: https://www.lacie.com/gb/en/products/dji-copilot/#features

My question here to DJI is if the Android app for the drive will work on Crystalsky?

2018-3-9
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

Rob, sorry that CS does not support third party app now. If you use it, we can not make sure it function well in CS. Your requirement will be forwarded. Thanks for your attention.

CS do support third party apps, but not all apps due to the CS not having access to Google store. So the question I ask is if the DJI CoPilot (Lacie) app will work on CS?

Elektra, see post 8 for more information about DJI CoPilot.
2018-3-9
Use props
YOYOMAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 676260 ft
Réunion

Rob W Posted at 2018-3-9 09:55
I think you misunderstand what app I mean. DJI CoPilot is a new portable harddrive made by Lacie. DJI branded. You can manage videos/photos stored on the disk via an app.
On the specifications it says: Mobile phone or tablet running iOS 10.3 or Android 4.4 or later.
CrystalSky is Android.

Not sure to undestand why you want to use the DJI Copilot APP because since you can also etablish usb connection with  CS like any externe hard drive actualy..
2018-3-9
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

YOYOMAN Posted at 2018-3-9 10:42
Not sure to undestand why you want to use the DJI Copilot APP because since you can also etablish usb connection with  CS like any externe hard drive actualy..

If you mean that instead of using a DJI CoPilot, I would connect any other harddrive to CS? Is that what your are after to say?
If so, sure, I haven't tested though. But there is also another aspect to think of. The CS have only one USB port, so If I would like to transfer video from the Inspire SSD to an ordinary harddrive via CS, I would need a USB hub.

I think that DJI CoPilot seems handy, and easy to have with me also when shooting or filming on ground.
So, it would be much easier I think to copy directly from SSD to a 2TB CoPilot, and then via cable and CS check the photos/videos stored on the CoPilot.

Hence my question if the CoPilot app will work on the CS. The CS screen is bright, large, and I will always have it with me when flying.
2018-3-9
Use props
YOYOMAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 676260 ft
Réunion

Rob W Posted at 2018-3-9 11:08
If you mean that instead of using a DJI CoPilot, I would connect any other harddrive to CS? Is that what your are after to say?
If so, sure, I haven't tested though. But there is also another aspect to think of. The CS have only one USB port, so If I would like to transfer video from the Inspire SSD to an ordinary harddrive via CS, I would need a USB hub.

Hi,
I mean you can connect DJI CoPilot with USB or MicroUSB.
If you choose MicroUSB for DJI CoPilot (or for another Hard drive) then you can plug your I2 SSD adaptater, don't you?
DJI CoPilot is just an external hard drive. I may wrong, but I don't see why you would prefer this one than another (a standard one).

I use an "normal" external hard drive with my CS, and I realy undestand the point to use hard drive + CS, but I don't know why DJI CoPilot would be better than a standard external hard drive)
2018-3-9
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

YOYOMAN Posted at 2018-3-9 13:16
Hi,
I mean you can connect DJI CoPilot with USB or MicroUSB.
If you choose MicroUSB for DJI CoPilot (or for another Hard drive) then you can plug your I2 SSD adaptater, don't you?

Yes I now you can connect the DJI CoPilot with USB or MicroUSB. I now the CP is just a harddrive.

But the App that DJI/Lacie have, and that I would like to use on the CS, is for *managing* the files copied to the disk. To preview, to delete footage that maybe was not good etc. That is also handy if you shoot with a non-DJI camera.

If you are out 1 day filmning, you tend to get a lot of data. You can have the CP as an intermediate storage, to preview/delete/tag on a nice CS screen that handle bright days where you stand filming. When you take lunch break filmning, you can connect it to the computer and transfer the ok footage to a larger storage, empty the CoPilot, and then head out to filming again.

Sure, I could use a "normal" external drive. They are cheaper, but I think they CoPilot is a pretty good product.
2018-3-9
Use props
djiuser_KFAyx3sFSGsl
lvl.2

United States

Rob, If you use the third party app, we can not make sure it function well in CS. We do not recommend you users use other apps on CS. Thanks for your attention.

@ DJI Electra,

Thank for the reply but this is disingenuous at the least and this is simply towing the DJI CrystalSky party line of "we can not make sure it function well".
Everyone KNOWS this is complete rubbish - or at least those with a solid background in Android programming, hardware development and cybersecurity.

Not rubbish because it is or it is not true, but that it is being used across the board as an excuse for DJI to lock down the functionality of the CrystalSky so that it may not be use with other apps - the opposite of how these devices should have been intended to be used.

DJI does not make ANY mobile devices, nor does DJI make any tablets that I am aware of and therefore they cannot "control" those devices and the compatibility therein.  This does not seem to bother, nor slow down DJI from creating the apps for use on a wide variety of devices.  Though there are occasional glitches, DJI has no problem there - so what is the long game here with DJI?

The 800lb gorilla in the room is that DJI is locking down a great device for whatever reason - none of which make any sense from an end user's case, nor from an "open" business use case.

The only reasons would be (just a few), poor hardware, a lack of paying or cooperation with Google to use the PlayStore or that DJI does not want operators to use the CrystalSky with thier 3rd party and free apps and therefore force those users to use ONLY DJI apps - at least without "hacking" or implicit trust.

If there is a legitimate case, please let it be know here, please to not infer or assume but inform those that have spent tens of thousands of dollars in DJI equipment as to why not.

It cannot be due to security so that is a moot point.  If I can plug a USB or other external media device into the CrystalSky, it can be pwned (infected or controlled in some way).  So we are required to install standalone or DJI only applications that we cannot properly verify via vendor or Google Play Store - we have to implicitly trust the download - that makes ZERO sense!?

The owners of these devices are usually licensed and insured pilots that "trust" the equipment being provided to them under some type of guarantee, not blind faith, Many of these professionals have a career or business riding on this.

Additionally, does DJI really care to go down the path that Apple has?
To the point where the device has become so locked down that they own the device and the user simply leases the device?  If I am paying 500+ USD for a device, I want to load the applications I deem necessary to run my business, I want to "control" the device within norms - not the manufacturer - safety aside.  
Apple fanboys need not reply... I own and hack them all - no loyalty here...

What this causes is an environment where users begin to reach out to forums such as XDA Developers (great site) for a method to root the device and employ mechanisms THEY deem necessary to facilitate their business needs.

This may be okay when the user completely understands the risks but it is another thing entirely when the user deploys a method such as rooting and it causes unintentional consequences.  The user really has no way to verify (completely) that rooting, or arguably side loading could cause an issue with the DJI controller engine.

So is this where a DJI attorney steps in and makes a legal statement such as "we do not support, or condone that behavior".  Great, every EULA makes that same statement... but what is the inherent risk to the company when it does take place - lawsuit regardless.

The bottom line is simply this... why?  Why has DJI decided to go down this path, nothing being stated makes any sense.  These monitors and those like them are very capable of rather robust input/output - if a SnapDragon processor smartphone and tablet can, so can they but they do not - so why?
2018-3-27
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Part of the idea of CS is reliability - and who can doubt that unlimited 3rd party apps can compromise that? If one desires flexibility, they should probably stay away from CS.

I am currently reviewing a CoPilot and it's a nice piece of hardware. It is basically a battery operated hard drive with multiple connections. I used it today with my P4 CS - but hooked it directly to the USB port on the drone (using iphone to run the CoPilot) and then transferred files to the drive from the internal MicroCD. Of course, I could also have pulled the card and put it into the LaCie CoPilot.

My take is that sale volume of these types of drives is quite small - and DJI (or any company) has limited resources. They are probably making a tiny royalty on this, which means they are probably actually losing money (it's about branding). As it stands, they have to support IOS, various Android Flavors, etc. for I don'a number of years and versions. This can be quite costly.

I think there will eventually be numerous backup solutions for CS and most other portable devices...but whether this particular app and drive combo is "the one" is another story.

I don't remember DJI claiming they were going to upgrade CS to make it jump through hoops and do everything and anything - only that they sold it as a quality display for those who want a DJI packaged solution. Those looking for max flexibility may want to settle for the top of the line ipads or other displays....you'll lose some IQ, but gain flexibility.

2018-5-7
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

droneflyers.com Posted at 2018-5-7 15:09
Part of the idea of CS is reliability - and who can doubt that unlimited 3rd party apps can compromise that? If one desires flexibility, they should probably stay away from CS.

I am currently reviewing a CoPilot and it's a nice piece of hardware. It is basically a battery operated hard drive with multiple connections. I used it today with my P4 CS - but hooked it directly to the USB port on the drone (using iphone to run the CoPilot) and then transferred files to the drive from the internal MicroCD. Of course, I could also have pulled the card and put it into the LaCie CoPilot.

I've ordered my CoPilot for, I think, 3 months ago now. It should have been delivered 2 months ago but I still haven't gotten mine.
I do hope the Lacie app works on the CS. I can live without it, but i'd rather view footage on the CS (as it is supposed to be a high quality image viewer for DJI users), instead of a small phone. The CoPilot is also DJI branded, so I think a DJI product should work with another DJI product. Hope DJI think's so, too. ;)
2018-5-7
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is my first take on the Drive - I have one here in my little hands......
https://wp.me/p25InU-2uLa
2018-5-8
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
  • >>>
Sweden

droneflyers.com Posted at 2018-5-8 15:11
Here is my first take on the Drive - I have one here in my little hands......
https://wp.me/p25InU-2uLa

Thank you for the review! I hope it will be releases soon, I've been waiting months for my preorder. I see the app is now released, so I guess shipment will begin soon.

2018-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules