4444 48 2018-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobertW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41818 ft
  • >>>
United States

A good way to make 100 % sure you do not forget to remove the gimbal cover on the Mavic Air before turning it on.
Since I always forget to remove the gimbal cover on the Mavic Air, I decided to figure out a way, to fool proof it.

I came up with the idea to cut a little piece from an old Credit Card and glue it on the underside of the cover so it covers the on/off button.  It might not be the fanciest solution,  but it works.

air-gimbel-1.jpg
air-gimbel-2.jpg
2018-3-6
Use props
Kibosh 3
lvl.3
Canada

Nice job!

I've personally never had this problem, however I modify pretty much everything to function better for my purposes... usually at the sacrifice of form to gain function... great work
2018-3-6
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

How about using a removable glue so that it can be reversed when it has become a habit to pull the cover off before powering up...
2018-3-6
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 2018-3-6 17:30
How about using a removable glue so that it can be reversed when it has become a habit to pull the cover off before powering up...

Good Idea, some rubber cement, the same stuff they stick those fake credit cards with in the junk mail
2018-3-6
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Robert, we would not recommend users disassemble the drone to avoid further damage. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-7
Use props
kfloke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 149961 ft
Singapore

Brilliant idea
2018-3-7
Use props
DH_Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

I agree good idea, DJI should take this into consideration for making updated gimbal cover.
2018-3-7
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Great idea been there done that forgot to remove cover.
2018-3-7
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 2018-3-6 17:30

Good thinking, but since you can buy a new  cover  for 9 bucks in the DJI store I guess it's not worth it. My guess is a removable glue would not  stick that long.
2018-3-7
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-7 00:18
Robert, we would not recommend users disassemble the drone to avoid further damage. Thanks for your support.

I did not dissemble the drone, I just modified the gimbal cover  which is a separate part.
Who ever came up with the design of the gimbal cover  (which is brilliant ) could have thought to put a little nose on the end of the cover to protect the on/off button.  I know there is allot of discussion going on how to prevent to turn on the drone with the cover on. I think this would be an very easy and inexpensive way for DJI to redesign the cover and make everybody happy and prevent damage to the gimbal motor.  
2018-3-7
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-6 17:58
Good Idea, some rubber cement, the same stuff they stick those fake credit cards with in the junk mail

You are talking about silicone ??
2018-3-7
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

RobertW Posted at 2018-3-7 08:40
You are talking about silicone ??

No more like a very easily removable rubber cement like you see in some junk mail holding simulated credit cards onto paper, it will stick and hold but does not bond to the paper.
2018-3-7
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-7 09:47
No more like a very easily removable rubber cement like you see in some junk mail holding simulated credit cards onto paper, it will stick and hold but does not bond to the paper.

Very interesting,  I know what you are talking about, I was under the impression this is silicon.
Thanks for the tip, but it's too late for me but I'm sure it will be interesting for other pilots.
2018-3-7
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

RobertW Posted at 2018-3-7 08:38
I did not dissemble the drone, I just modified the gimbal cover  which is a separate part.
Who ever came up with the design of the gimbal cover  (which is brilliant ) could have thought to put a little nose on the end of the cover to protect the on/off button.  I know there is allot of discussion going on how to prevent to turn on the drone with the cover on. I think this would be an very easy and inexpensive way for DJI to redesign the cover and make everybody happy and prevent damage to the gimbal motor.

Thanks for your feedback. Your suggestion will be forwarded. Have a nice day.
2018-3-9
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Seriously that is ugly... just put it into your preflight checks... and you won't have this problem
2018-3-9
Use props
Cameleon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60394 ft
United Kingdom

What would have been a better design, but perhaps overkill, is if the battery has a notch in it with a switch and when the gimbal cover is on it presses it. This stops you powering up the drone. When the cover is removed, switch is not contacted and lets the drone power up. Although I do think that would be overkill and perhaps allow one more thing that could go wrong!
2018-3-9
Use props
Janek _KRK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5000 ft
Poland

RobertW Posted at 2018-3-7 09:59
Very interesting,  I know what you are talking about, I was under the impression this is silicon.
Thanks for the tip, but it's too late for me but I'm sure it will be interesting for other pilots.

RobertW thanks for the tip. I  modified a little your solution. I am using a piece of black vinyl adhesive tape, Cut 3 cm long piece, bend it and stick together about 1 cm, and the rest of adhesive piece just stick to the gimbal cover. It is easy to remove it without damage of the cover.
2018-3-9
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

I put a small round orange sticker on the bottom of the gimbal cover now my eye is drawn to it before I power up.
2018-3-9
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-3-9 02:27
Seriously that is ugly... just put it into your preflight checks... and you won't have this problem

You are right, it's ugly but I did not have any other plastic part at hand. I'm sure one could use a darker colored plastic and form it more round on the edges so it would not be an eyesore. The best would be if DJI redesigns the cover to include a small lip over the movable flat part of the cover.   
2018-3-9
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cameleon Posted at 2018-3-9 02:31
What would have been a better design, but perhaps overkill, is if the battery has a notch in it with a switch and when the gimbal cover is on it presses it. This stops you powering up the drone. When the cover is removed, switch is not contacted and lets the drone power up. Although I do think that would be overkill and perhaps allow one more thing that could go wrong!

This would be a better but more costly way to do it. There is already so much electronic in this little drone.
2018-3-9
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-3-9 02:27

I forgot to mention, mostly I forget to take the cover off is by transferring the footage from the sd card or the internal storage, so at a time I don't do a preflight check
2018-3-9
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Janek _KRK Posted at 2018-3-9 02:50
RobertW thanks for the tip. I  modified a little your solution. I am using a piece of black vinyl adhesive tape, Cut 3 cm long piece, bend it and stick together about 1 cm, and the rest of adhesive piece just stick to the gimbal cover. It is easy to remove it without damage of the cover.

Great solution, I'm sure there are more ways to do it
2018-3-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great idea as the damage to the gimbal can be extensive if you forget to remove the lock.
2018-3-9
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-9 08:29
Great idea as the damage to the gimbal can be extensive if you forget to remove the lock.

Thank you, maybe we can get DJI to redesign the cover     
2018-3-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RobertW Posted at 2018-3-9 11:46
Thank you, maybe we can get DJI to redesign the cover

I doubt we can LOL but the mods may forward ideas like yours to their engineers for future models. At least the MA clamp is darker - the little awkward one that sits hidden away under the Mavic Pro gimbal is very annoying.
2018-3-9
Use props
Sparkflyer
lvl.2

United States

Bill B Posted at 2018-3-9 03:19
I put a small round orange sticker on the bottom of the gimbal cover now my eye is drawn to it before I power up.

I like your idea.  DJI should make the gimbal lock a bright, attention getting color, and put a permanent text "Remove Before Power ON".

I do give credit to DJI for even putting a sticker there (albeit a temporary sticker).  Also, the power button being so close, makes it hard not to notice that the lock is still in place.
2018-3-9
Use props
Sparkflyer
lvl.2

United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-9 08:29

I had a Spark, and there is NOTHING in the manual to address gimbal locks before powering up.  I know that the Spark doesn't come with a lock, but a lot of people are buying third party locks.

At least they put a sticker on the Air.
2018-3-9
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

This has absolutely, hands-down, the best gimbal cover I have seen... Sorry you are forgetful. It happens to the best of us, BUT appreciate what they have done here.  One piece, easy on/off.  It's a great design!
2018-3-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sparkflyer Posted at 2018-3-9 17:46
I had a Spark, and there is NOTHING in the manual to address gimbal locks before powering up.  I know that the Spark doesn't come with a lock, but a lot of people are buying third party locks.

At least they put a sticker on the Air.

I know that the Spark doesn't come with a lock

That's why I guess.
2018-3-9
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

W.T. Foxtrot Posted at 2018-3-9 21:40
This has absolutely, hands-down, the best gimbal cover I have seen... Sorry you are forgetful. It happens to the best of us, BUT appreciate what they have done here.  One piece, easy on/off.  It's a great design!

This is what I have said, "Who ever came up with the design of the gimbal cover  (which is brilliant )" ............
But to include a little lip to cover the battery button would have had no impact on the cost to manufacture the cover but would prevent the possibility to damage the gimbal.     
2018-3-10
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31896 ft
United States

Thanks for the tip.  I have forgotten twice so far.

I took your idea and simply used a piece of Scotch Tape folded back on itself so there was just 1cm of sticky part exposed.  It works nicely.
2018-3-10
Use props
djiuser_lG8DuqYbU1q3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11040 ft
United States

Here's my solution. That little screw can ONLY be placed in that exact position on the cover so that it does not touch the camera when it closes.
2018-3-10
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

^ What an elegant solution!
2018-3-10
Use props
StarrBird
lvl.1

Australia

It's not pretty, but seems a very effective solution. Good thinking.
2018-3-10
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very good Idea. What it looks like is unimportant. It is a gimbal cover for goodness sake

Dennis
2018-3-11
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-3-11 23:42
Very good Idea. What it looks like is unimportant. It is a gimbal cover for goodness sake

Dennis

Thank you, Dennis, I could have made it better looking by using a nice cut piece of plastic, but I've used what I had at home.
Happy Flying
2018-3-12
Use props
ImTravis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

djiuser_lG8DuqYbU1q3 Posted at 2018-3-10 15:14
Here's my solution. That little screw can ONLY be placed in that exact position on the cover so that it does not touch the camera when it closes.[view_image]

Nice solution. Makes it easy to remember.
2018-3-12
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 376450 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_lG8DuqYbU1q3 Posted at 2018-3-10 15:14
Here's my solution. That little screw can ONLY be placed in that exact position on the cover so that it does not touch the camera when it closes.[view_image]

Excellent!

Any links for the parts?
2018-3-12
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

I did the same thing with a small strip of yellow paper sandwiched between 2 ripped pieces of Scotch tape.
IMG_20180312_230251.jpg
2018-3-12
Use props
alonzowest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40938 ft
  • >>>
United States

awesome idea! do you watch casey neistat? if not you should check him out. i think you would like him. he does alot of mods like this and flys drones
2018-3-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules