Image transmission lost. Return home now?
1766 13 2018-3-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Big Popie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 608642 ft
United States

Any one ever see this. I just watched this ^$%^$%@$%$ phantom 4 pro Shut  completely off and fall from the sky, then saw this on my screen. It was  only 20 feet away. Landed in a nice soft pine tree with no damage. Felt  like shooting it down so I don't have to mess with it anymore. Then I  got the standard have to send it in answer from DJI.
20180306_151249.jpg
Battery is still full charged in tree
20180306_151804.jpg
This ladder is too short?

Not Tall Enough

Not Tall Enough

2018-3-6
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

What's that, 20 foot?  I had my drone get caught in a tree back when I was a nooB... I had a 30 foot ladder and a ten foot paint roller extender and I could barely reach it standing on my tip toes on the top rung.  I hooked the landing gear with the paint roller extender and all was good including the heart attack I avoided in terms of stress and exertion.

We need more details re exactly what happened.  But the message on your screen would be unrelated to your AC "falling from the sky."  

Not many DJI pilots move from a P4P to a P3S...
2018-3-6
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Mark, I think he was saying "standard reply".  I may be wrong tho lol.
2018-3-6
Use props
Big Popie
lvl.2
United States

My attempt at a Darwin award.

Yes that is a 8 foot step ladder on a pallet on a skid steer, But I got the damn thing down.
2018-3-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You've had an issue that's shut down the Phantom.
The app can't tell what's happened to the Phantom.
It just knows it lost signal (and appears to have lost the video first).

2018-3-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry to read the accident, but I'll insist on sending the unit in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-7
Use props
Big Popie
lvl.2
United States

I am 95% sure I know what happened. I am looking for a large net like what the Trapeze people fall into at the Circus. or something I can let it fall into with no damage then I am going to make sure what makes it fall from  the sky.  

Mark: Not many DJI pilots move from a P4P to a P3S...) /   ALABAMA: was correct I meant the answer I got from DJI was to send it in for diagnosis even though I told them what I thought  they ether don't listen or believe me.
Mark: (But the message on your screen would be unrelated to your AC "falling from the sky." ) I am sure you are completely wrong! I am sure they are tied together!  

On another subject: Looking for lost drones. I watched this fall into this tree in my yard 20 feet from my deck. Knew exactly where it was in what tree and how high!
Sat the controller on top of hot tub walked out to tree and had a hard time seeing it at first looking right where it was. So wandering around in a wooded area looking for a drone that might be in a tree is to me what might a waste of time! The Phantom is above that step ladder, can you see it?
2018-3-7
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Big Popie, I admire your ingenuity!   You might could make a good living with drone removal from trees lol.
2018-3-7
Use props
Big Popie
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-3-7 07:40
Big Popie, I admire your ingenuity!   You might could make a good living with drone removal from trees lol.

Well I might have reached it with extension ladder it could go up 2 more rungs, but it was in small branches and was ether going to let me  fall to ground or shake the Phantom loose.
2018-3-7
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Big Popie Posted at 2018-3-7 06:48
I am 95% sure I know what happened. I am looking for a large net like what the Trapeze people fall into at the Circus. or something I can let it fall into with no damage then I am going to make sure what makes it fall from  the sky.  

Mark: Not many DJI pilots move from a P4P to a P3S...) /   ALABAMA: was correct I meant the answer I got from DJI was to send it in for diagnosis even though I told them what I thought  they ether don't listen or believe me.

When you mean it fell from the sky - are you saying engines shut off/props stopped spinning?
You had a signal loss and you were closer than 20m horizontally from the drone.
That means upon RTH the drone goes down where it is!
2018-3-7
Use props
Big Popie
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-3-7 08:42
When you mean it fell from the sky - are you saying engines shut off/props stopped spinning?
You had a signal loss and you were closer than 20m horizontally from the drone.
That means upon RTH the drone goes down where it is!

fell from the sky - are you saying engines shut off/props stopped spinning?
YES The props were not even hurt as it landed in tree as they were stopped!
2018-3-7
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Big Popie Posted at 2018-3-7 11:55
fell from the sky - are you saying engines shut off/props stopped spinning?
YES The props were not even hurt as it landed in tree as they were stopped!

WOW, that is something!
An chance you could have had both sticks in a position to issue a CSC? Just asking? Don't know why the aircraft would have killed the motors otherwise. Can you upload you log file?
2018-3-7
Use props
Big Popie
lvl.2
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2018-3-7 12:19
WOW, that is something!
An chance you could have had both sticks in a position to issue a CSC? Just asking? Don't know why the aircraft would have killed the motors otherwise. Can you upload you log file?

both sticks in a position to issue a CSC?
Been waiting for this. NO! 0% Chance
Think I have found some netting and ordered a new battery for my old camcorder so as soon as I get it all gathered up and set up, I will film what happens so I can prove it.
2018-3-7
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Big Popie Posted at 2018-3-7 12:43
both sticks in a position to issue a CSC?
Been waiting for this. NO! 0% Chance
Think I have found some netting and ordered a new battery for my old camcorder so as soon as I get it all gathered up and set up, I will film what happens so I can prove it.

Sorry man! Just trying to help and nobody had asked that yet. That would be the one thing that would cause the motors to stop. Not saying you don't have another issue. Yeah, so I am curious how you are going to duplicate what happened. You said you ahve an idea what happened, can't wait to either see the video or explain what you think caused it.
2018-3-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules