Flying the DJI Mavic Pro without a mobile device
24041 25 2018-3-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV
lvl.1

South Africa

Is it possible to fly the DJI Mavic Pro drone without a mobile device? Please note, I know you don't need cellular data in order to fly it, but my question is, can you fly the drone with the remote control only, no mobile device connected?  Any help would be appreciated.
2018-3-7
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Possible yes, but you have to think twice if you really want to. You will be missing a lot of information. No way of figuring out if your homepoint is set correctly for instance.

I wouldn't try flying without a mobile device.
2018-3-7
Use props
djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV
lvl.1

South Africa

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-7 05:09
Possible yes, but you have to think twice if you really want to. You will be missing a lot of information. No way of figuring out if your homepoint is set correctly for instance.

I wouldn't try flying without a mobile device.

Hi LoSBol, thanks a lot for your response. Another question - would it be possible to set up the drone (brand new DJI Mavic Pro) without the DJI Pro App?
Thanks again!
2018-3-7
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV Posted at 2018-3-7 05:21
Hi LoSBol, thanks a lot for your response. Another question - would it be possible to set up the drone (brand new DJI Mavic Pro) without the DJI Pro App?
Thanks again!

Not that I know of, I think first activation threw the app is mandatory.
2018-3-7
Use props
djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV
lvl.1

South Africa

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-7 05:24
Not that I know of, I think first activation threw the app is mandatory.

Thanks so much (Dankie!) for your very quick response!  (On a side note, we like your user name, LosBol! :-))
2018-3-7
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV Posted at 2018-3-7 05:28
Thanks so much (Dankie!) for your very quick response!  (On a side note, we like your user name, LosBol! :-))

thank, I've been wearing that nickname for over 20 years now, not much losbolling anymore though, but maybe  you could have already guessed that by me not advising to fly without a mobile device.
2018-3-7
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I have read in other forums that yes you can fly the Mavic Pro & PP without ever activitating and/or using a monitoring device, the activation is more for DJI's warranty / Care Refresh / NFZ & updates. If the AC is not already linked to the RC you can link it as described below. If you do not activate you will not have any warranty,or be able to sync logs ect...

The Go4 App is primarily used to communicate information / settings to and from the MP to control camera / FPV

If you choose not to activate the MP will fly just like many of the other Non DJI GPS stabilized drone such as the Walkera F250 Runner. It will still obtain GPS lock and record Home Point and still return to home when commanded. Mine is activated as I want the benifits of activation but that being said I have flown my MP many times (VLOS) just for fun (no photo/videoing) in both normal & Sport Modes

2018-3-7
Use props
djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV
lvl.1

South Africa

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-7 05:33
thank, I've been wearing that nickname for over 20 years now, not much losbolling anymore though, but maybe  you could have already guessed that by me not advising to fly without a mobile device.

Very funny!! :-)
2018-3-7
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Losbol answered well below. you can fly without the app or devise. You can link a remote to drone without the app by pressing C1 and C2 and video button on remote at same time - when beep sound happens then click on the camera button (while still holding other 3 buttons) - then press the linking button inside the sd card cover of the mavic pro.
2018-3-7
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
South Africa

however if the drone is new, it will not fly (engines will not start) until you have done activation - this requires a devise with app. After drone is activated you can link to other remotes or with your own you can fly without app. You will lose all the camera visibility. if NOT using the app you should definately not fly further than your eyes can see the drone - at most this is about 250 - 300m in day - more at night. but at that distance it is just a spec in the sky and unless it is flying perpendicular to you no way to know if it is flying foward or back. without the app or viewing devise you should stay either in beginner which sets safe distances or set your own distances but not exceed 200m distance and about 50 height
2018-3-7
Use props
djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV
lvl.1

South Africa

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-7 05:57
I have read in other forums that yes you can fly the Mavic Pro & PP without ever activitating and/or using a monitoring device, the activation is more for DJI's warranty / Care Refresh / NFZ & updates. If the AC is not already linked to the RC you can link it as described below. If you do not activate you will not have any warranty,or be able to sync logs ect...

The Go4 App is primarily used to communicate information / settings to and from the MP to control camera / FPV

QuadKid, this is great news and very helpful advice, thank you so much!!  We will follow the guidelines in the video and will report back shortly.  Thank you!!
2018-3-7
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
South Africa

djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV Posted at 2018-3-7 05:28

i do nt think losbol is south african - his nickname is humerous if south african and how we would interpret that - i wonder if it means the same thing in netherlands/dutch
2018-3-7
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-3-7 06:22
i do nt think losbol is south african - his nickname is humerous if south african and how we would interpret that - i wonder if it means the same thing in netherlands/dutch

Our languages are somewhat related, so I think it might be the same?

A losbol as a person that exhibits immature behavior or acts irresponsible without considering (or giving a damn of) the consequences of his actions.

What is it in Suid-Afrikaans?
2018-3-7
Use props
djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV
lvl.1

South Africa

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-7 06:34

A losbol as a person that exhibits immature behavior or acts irresponsible without considering (or giving a damn of) the consequences of his actions.

This is a great side conversation LosBol and Bekaru Tree!  It sounds like it has the same meaning in both Afrikaans and Dutch.  In Afrikaans, it has the further meaning of a guy who may be a bit of a flirt when it comes to girls, so girls would be wary of a guy who is called a 'losbol', as such a guy would be seen as being a bit immature and irresponsible and a player. :-)
2018-3-7
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
South Africa

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-7 06:34

in SA it is not an official word  or official joke - some times our humor is derived from taking snippets of words from different local languages (we have many) - then we twist a word change it to another language and mix together. If it sounds like something has has a nice rhythm to it, then its sometimes funny to us.
Los means loose in afrikaans. They do not have the word bol but it is how the word ball is sometimes pronounced.

The twist i think cannot be understood intelectually - like love it is something you feel or do'nt.  A ball or bol is also what we in slang call a testicle - we can also say a testicle is a nut or nuts (cause usually there 2 of them)
So when i saw your name losbol i also thought it was funny because i interpret this (in humor ) to be a loose nut - but said in a funny way, although not gramatically correct, sounds like it  implies something that it probably does not mean
Your grandmother might think about a nut and bolt (not so funny)- younger folks will chuckle at the testicle referance - like you got loose testicle which of course should never be the case. Add a few beers and the right timing - it could have some people LOLLing all over the place.

So a loose nut might imply someone who is a little bit crazy or nuts in a fun childish way or an adult who does not give a f...! (or at least has that attitude)
It is funny because of what the sound implies - not because it actually means something for sure.

We are a crazy crowd - we have many strains of humor - from those you as european would understand to those of local cultures which often mix languages for effect are hilarious to us but hard to understand for others.

That was my interpreation any way.
Introduce a few more beers and get a group together you could get many different opinions and probably at lot more lolling.

another person might have this interpretation: it sounds like something but means nothing - that can be very funny to us - i guess it is childish humor but not intended to offend.

2018-3-7
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Given your question, I suspect you did not read the manual.  With an expensive drone like yours, with so much software in it, you're really risking a total lose if you don't understand everything fully.   I urge people to read the manual a few times.
2018-3-7
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV Posted at 2018-3-7 07:29
This is a great side conversation LosBol and Bekaru Tree!  It sounds like it has the same meaning in both Afrikaans and Dutch.  In Afrikaans, it has the further meaning of a guy who may be a bit of a flirt when it comes to girls, so girls would be wary of a guy who is called a 'losbol', as such a guy would be seen as being a bit immature and irresponsible and a player. :-)

Yes, if you look it up in the dictionary one of the definitions will say the same ;)
2018-3-7
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Netherlands

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-3-7 09:01
in SA it is not an official word  or official joke - some times our humor is derived from taking snippets of words from different local languages (we have many) - then we twist a word change it to another language and mix together. If it sounds like something has has a nice rhythm to it, then its sometimes funny to us.
Los means loose in afrikaans. They do not have the word bol but it is how the word ball is sometimes pronounced.

I'd be very surprised if losbol in both Afrikaans as in Dutch wouldn't have a mutual heritage, like many more words in Afrikaans derive from Dutch. If we hear Afrikaans it sounds like Dutch with a twist, but we can understand most of it.

It's an old word, something my grandmother or even her grandmother would have likely said, I came across it when I was working somewhere where losbol was the password for a cash registrar system. The day that the password changed I started using it as a nickname because I found it both unique as funny. Maybe some day it will become used more often again, but coming across it nowadays is very unlikely over here.

And like you said goes up for here aswell, you don't need to look it up, the words los and bol combined anyone over here can guess what it implies and it wil be intrepreted as funny, just like I did 20 years ago.

2018-3-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, the drone can be controlled by the RC only. However, we do not recommend flying without a mobile device, there are lots of info in the DJI GO 4 app, including the aircraft status, info about the current environment, the live view of the drone and the intelligent flight modes switching etc.. For the safety, please always fly with the DJI GO 4 app.
2018-3-7
Use props
djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV
lvl.1

South Africa

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2018-3-7 09:01

Great explanation, Bekaru Tree!  We were "LOLLing" all along!
2018-3-8
Use props
djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV
lvl.1

South Africa

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-3-7 09:45
Given your question, I suspect you did not read the manual.  With an expensive drone like yours, with so much software in it, you're really risking a total lose if you don't understand everything fully.   I urge people to read the manual a few times.

Thank you for your response, StanfordWebbie.  We just got the drone and decided to buy a smart phone that would be compatible with the drone, so will be sure to read the manual.  
2018-3-8
Use props
djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV
lvl.1

South Africa

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-7 10:28
I'd be very surprised if losbol in both Afrikaans as in Dutch wouldn't have a mutual heritage, like many more words in Afrikaans derive from Dutch. If we hear Afrikaans it sounds like Dutch with a twist, but we can understand most of it.

It's an old word, something my grandmother or even her grandmother would have likely said, I came across it when I was working somewhere where losbol was the password for a cash registrar system. The day that the password changed I started using it as a nickname because I found it both unique as funny. Maybe some day it will become used more often again, but coming across it nowadays is very unlikely over here.

Great that you are putting in an effort to 'preserve' the word, LosBol!  It is too good a word to lose.
2018-3-8
Use props
djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV
lvl.1

South Africa

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-7 10:28

Great that you are putting in an effort to 'preserve' the word, LosBol!  It is too good a word to lose.
2018-3-8
Use props
djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV
lvl.1

South Africa

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-7 18:52
Hi there, the drone can be controlled by the RC only. However, we do not recommend flying without a mobile device, there are lots of info in the DJI GO 4 app, including the aircraft status, info about the current environment, the live view of the drone and the intelligent flight modes switching etc.. For the safety, please always fly with the DJI GO 4 app.

Thanks DJI Thor!  I agree, it seems that it would be best if we simply purchase a smartphone that will work with the drone.  
2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

djiuser_6XYUchMTBcpV Posted at 2018-3-8 08:51
Thanks DJI Thor!  I agree, it seems that it would be best if we simply purchase a smartphone that will work with the drone.

Thanks for the support, by the way, the flight records will also be generated when the DJI GO 4 app is connected. For the compatible device, if there is a need, you can refer to the list below. devide support list.png
2018-3-8
Use props
Mycamblur
New
Italy

A question that I was also pondering, simply because I have accidentally left my phone at home!  Am away on holiday in the mountains, with my drone, yet my phone is in another country!  Really very frustrating to see all these possible flights, and not be able to do any of them.  I was tempted to try without the app, but am not confident enough to do so, so not worth the risk.  
2020-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules