Floats?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Amateur Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

I don't fly over the water, but I do live near a lot of it.
I think this would restrict the travel speed (wind resistance), but they don't weigh much.
I might consider it as insurance if I were to fly from a small boat. I sure would hate to have a pin hole in one water bottle.
What do you think?

Floats

Floats
2018-3-7
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

WOW! That's about all I can say. Pretty creative I guess, but yes I would think these would certainly cause a lot of resistance. Tell you what, you give it a shot, and let us know how it works out for you. LOL
2018-3-7
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
Second Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I think it will tip over on hitting the water, you'll get splash back from the propwash right up into the gimbal, they will be in shot unless you're looking straight down. But please feel free to give it a go and remember to post the video of it all going wrong.

Flying from a small boat, learn to hand launch and land.
2018-3-7
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

My first reaction is....Wow, what a great and simple idea, how come I didn't think of that!!

If you test it, please video.   I'd love to see how stable the floats are in the water.  I'm less concerned about reduction in performance when airborne.

I'd give it a shot on my P3S.

I did a quick google, and found commercially available floats for Phantoms.  However, I like your simple solution a lot better!  Plus, it gives a "WTF" factor!!

I also have a Spark.  For that little guy,  there are commercially available floats that look pretty good:   https://www.ebay.com/i/263384587239?chn=ps

Sid
2018-3-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Absolute rubbish.
They would handicap the drones performance seriously and are more likely to cause the loss of the drone than the imaginary dangers of flying over water.
2018-3-7
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Good pic of a redneck drone with pontoons.
2018-3-7
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-3-7 13:36
Good pic of a redneck drone with pontoons.

That was my exact thought when I ran across this while just searching the many add on devices.

No the water bottles are just not my style. I would have made something that looks more like a pontoon boat from like a pool noodle, and put it on some longer legs to protect the camera .
2018-3-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-3-7 14:07
That was my exact thought when I ran across this while just searching the many add on devices.

No the water bottles are just not my style. I would have made something that looks more like a pontoon boat from like a pool noodle, and put it on some longer legs to protect the camera .

The risk is that you have to carry these floats when you are in the air, and they act like sails. Even winds that previously would not have been a problem for the aircraft, now become one. The aircraft is much more likely to get blown away in winds, and it would adversely affect RTH performance if there was a slight headwind.
2018-3-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

There are commercial and 3D printed floats or pontoons available, with much better aerodynamic ability than pop bottles. Haha

Check eBay and "Amazing" for the plethora.

With a little craftiness, you can get a pool noodle and create a set of mounts.

RedHotPoker
2018-3-7
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

Yeah now these are better.
I might consider these with pool noodle instead of the water bottles, the frame work seems a little more stable.

No matter what,performance is shot...no wind days for sure!

2018-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules