Osmo 2 gimbal vibration
8790 15 2018-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
senatorkelley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 450525 ft
United States

Just got my Osmo Mobile 2 last night played around with it for about an hour and noticed sometimes the gimbal motor sticks and viberates. Is this normal? Is my phone not leveled properly?  Anyone else run into this issue?

I'm using a S7 Edge, no prompts for firmware updates.
2018-3-8
Use props
Bigguns
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26106 ft
United Kingdom

Is it like this ?
2018-3-8
Use props
Bigguns
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Is it like this ? https://forum.dji.com/thread-138194-1-1.html
2018-3-8
Use props
Bigguns
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Is it like this ? https://forum.dji.com/thread-138194-1-1.html
2018-3-8
Use props
1px0ff
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237238 ft
United States

I just received my OM2 today, and it is the first gimbal I have ever had.  I noticed terrible vibration and horrible noise in the motor when I tried to turn it on one time.  I thought I had the phone perfectly balanced but it turns out I was over anticipating how it was supposed to be balanced.  After playing around with it, and getting the right balance, it quit making that noise.   I have noticed a little bit of vibration on occasion, but it is very slight and usually when everything is moving really fast (though I can't be sure only been using this thing for a couple of hours). I had nothing like the video posted above.  That being said, I cannot get the portrait mode to balance correctly and when I do, I can see the OM2 motor in the field of view with an iPhone X
2018-3-8
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

1px0ff Posted at 2018-3-8 21:24
I just received my OM2 today, and it is the first gimbal I have ever had.  I noticed terrible vibration and horrible noise in the motor when I tried to turn it on one time.  I thought I had the phone perfectly balanced but it turns out I was over anticipating how it was supposed to be balanced.  After playing around with it, and getting the right balance, it quit making that noise.   I have noticed a little bit of vibration on occasion, but it is very slight and usually when everything is moving really fast (though I can't be sure only been using this thing for a couple of hours). I had nothing like the video posted above.  That being said, I cannot get the portrait mode to balance correctly and when I do, I can see the OM2 motor in the field of view with an iPhone X

Did you balance your iPhone X in both the roll and pitch directions?  Roll adjustments are done by adjusting the length of the arm.  Pitch adjustments are done by adjusting the position of the phone in the holder.  Start your pitch adjustment by position the phone so that the four metal bars are an equal length.

The iPhone X should not be in any case for best results.

If you use your iPhone X in portrait mode with the back camera then you will need to hold the OM2 in the flashlight mode to keep from seeing the motor.
2018-3-8
Use props
senatorkelley
lvl.2
United States

1px0ff Posted at 2018-3-8 21:24
I just received my OM2 today, and it is the first gimbal I have ever had.  I noticed terrible vibration and horrible noise in the motor when I tried to turn it on one time.  I thought I had the phone perfectly balanced but it turns out I was over anticipating how it was supposed to be balanced.  After playing around with it, and getting the right balance, it quit making that noise.   I have noticed a little bit of vibration on occasion, but it is very slight and usually when everything is moving really fast (though I can't be sure only been using this thing for a couple of hours). I had nothing like the video posted above.  That being said, I cannot get the portrait mode to balance correctly and when I do, I can see the OM2 motor in the field of view with an iPhone X

I'm also new to gimbals except for my Phantom 3 gimbal. I too was moving it very fast when it happened. So it is possible we overloaded the motors. I played around with it for about an hour again and didn't have the issue at all.

Now I just have to figure out how to stop fighting against the OSMO while I want to turn.
2018-3-9
Use props
1px0ff
lvl.4
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 2018-3-8 21:51
Did you balance your iPhone X in both the roll and pitch directions?  Roll adjustments are done by adjusting the length of the arm.  Pitch adjustments are done by adjusting the position of the phone in the holder.  Start your pitch adjustment by position the phone so that the four metal bars are an equal length.

The iPhone X should not be in any case for best results.

yes I had balanced the iPhone to what I thought was the correct position.  when I heard the worst noise it was b/c I had the phone balanced in such a way that it held exactly like it would if the gimbal was turned on.  This seems incorrect though, as when I have the phone balanced to a point where it is perfectly flat with the screen pointing toward the ground the gimbal turns on without a peep.
2018-3-9
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

1px0ff Posted at 2018-3-9 07:49
yes I had balanced the iPhone to what I thought was the correct position.  when I heard the worst noise it was b/c I had the phone balanced in such a way that it held exactly like it would if the gimbal was turned on.  This seems incorrect though, as when I have the phone balanced to a point where it is perfectly flat with the screen pointing toward the ground the gimbal turns on without a peep.

A balanced phone can be moved by hand and will remain in any position when the OM2 is turned off.  Adjusting the phone so that it only stays or wants to stay in one position is the worst thing that you can do as it will make the gimbals work harder.  Think of a balanced phone as one that will "float" and not resist movement change.
Then you need to make the phone do this in both the x and y axis (roll and pitch).

2018-3-9
Use props
1px0ff
lvl.4
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 2018-3-9 11:12
A balanced phone can be moved by hand and will remain in any position when the OM2 is turned off.  Adjusting the phone so that it only stays or wants to stay in one position is the worst thing that you can do as it will make the gimbals work harder.  Think of a balanced phone as one that will "float" and not resist movement change.
Then you need to make the phone do this in both the x and y axis (roll and pitch).

that is actually a really good description.  better than the official DJI tutorial video.  I kinda figured it out after tinkering with it for a bit, but your description helps for sure.  Thanks
2018-3-9
Use props
BobWinNV
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

1px0ff Posted at 2018-3-9 14:38
that is actually a really good description.  better than the official DJI tutorial video.  I kinda figured it out after tinkering with it for a bit, but your description helps for sure.  Thanks

I am glad that I could help.
2018-3-9
Use props
Bigguns
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Strange why the DJI Osmo 2 needs to be so perfectly balanced otherwise it will throw a wobbly,yet my smooth q i could have it really unbalanced and all it would do is make the motors work harder and the result of this was a bit of extra heat and shorter battery life.

I could load my Note 8 into the smooth q and have it so unbalanced that the phone was hanging down and touching the gimbal when turned off.Also i am able to move the smooth q with aggressive movements and yet it makes no noise and soaks up those movements to keep it smooth.Yet with the DJI i have found that the motors make some noise when moving it aggressively and i put this down to the fact that it stops abruptly at the end of the movement where as the smooth q comes to a slow stop.

IMO and after owning both models i think the smooth q is the better at doing what a gimbal should do and the DJI has the better app and build quality.
2018-3-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello kelley, sorry to know you are experiencing difficulties, may we have a short video about the issue if it persists for better support? Thanks for your assistance.
2018-3-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Bigguns Posted at 2018-3-11 04:27
Strange why the DJI Osmo 2 needs to be so perfectly balanced otherwise it will throw a wobbly,yet my smooth q i could have it really unbalanced and all it would do is make the motors work harder and the result of this was a bit of extra heat and shorter battery life.

I could load my Note 8 into the smooth q and have it so unbalanced that the phone was hanging down and touching the gimbal when turned off.Also i am able to move the smooth q with aggressive movements and yet it makes no noise and soaks up those movements to keep it smooth.Yet with the DJI i have found that the motors make some noise when moving it aggressively and i put this down to the fact that it stops abruptly at the end of the movement where as the smooth q comes to a slow stop.

Sorry to read on your post https://forum.dji.com/thread-138194-1-1.html and the unpleasant experience with our device, may I know if you have sent in the device for further diagnosis?
2018-3-12
Use props
Bigguns
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-12 00:00
Sorry to read on your post https://forum.dji.com/thread-138194-1-1.html and the unpleasant experience with our device, may I know if you have sent in the device for further diagnosis?

The device has been returned to Apple.

Apple persuaded me to try another unit but I know have to wait weeks for a replacement,not ideal at all.

There should be stock set aside for customers who are sent defective units as I don’t think it’s fair that I have had to wait weeks to get the device in the first place and then to get a faulty unit and then expected to send it off to be repaired,which is not on IMO on a brand new item,or wait weeks for it to be replaced.

Everyone has had my money but I’m still sat here with no item and yet I’m paying just as much as everyone else.

2018-3-12
Use props
senatorkelley
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-11 23:57
Hello kelley, sorry to know you are experiencing difficulties, may we have a short video about the issue if it persists for better support? Thanks for your assistance.

If i'm recording while it happens i sure will. So far its been okay.
2018-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules