Spark keeps disconnecting
20316 15 2018-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SFish
New
South Africa

Hi folks

I’ve had my Spark for about 9 months, and have flown it on the West Coast of the US quite a bit with no issues. Once I bought the remote, the connection with the drone has been rock-solid out to about 1000m (as far as I’m willing to fly, really). One of the main reasons I bought the drone was to take on a trip to South Africa, which is where I am now. However, the drone is almost impossible,to fly here, because it keeps disconnecting, even when it’s less than 50m away. I tried to change it from 5.8ghz to 2.4ghz, but 2.4ghz isn’t even offered as an option. This is really frustrating and I’d love some ideas about how to fix it. I’m on an iPhone 6S running the latest version of iOS. Bluetooth is off. Pleas help -I’m only here for a short while longer and would love to use the drone.

S

2018-3-8
Use props
chorn1966
lvl.3
Flight distance : 520512 ft
United States

Are you in a large city? if you are in a congested city OTG works with IOS (Apple) you can give that a shot.
NOTICE- DJI frowns on using one but, it works.
2018-3-8
Use props
SOUNDWAVE439
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115597 ft
United States

Afternoon Sir! please make sure all of your equipment are up to date, including the controller.
2018-3-8
Use props
Ani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148 ft
India

I was also facing this issue in the latest firmware update.
It kept disconnecting and when it reconnects the video transmission was never reconnected.
So i put my phone on flight mode and only wifi was enabled which was needed to connect with rc.
And it never disconnected ever again.
Then video transmission also increased for upto 250-300m.
You can try it.
2018-3-8
Use props
SFish
New
South Africa

SOUNDWAVE439 Posted at 2018-3-8 10:39
Afternoon Sir! please make sure all of your equipment are up to date, including the controller.

All firmware (drone, batteries, remote) is up-to-date. Sorry, should have mentioned that in my otiginal post.
2018-3-8
Use props
SFish
New
South Africa

chorn1966 Posted at 2018-3-8 09:39
Are you in a large city? if you are in a congested city OTG works with IOS (Apple) you can give that a shot.
NOTICE- DJI frowns on using one but, it works.

I’m in the outer suburbs. I was trying to fly over a gorgeous vineyard. Also tried flying over the sea, with limited success.
2018-3-8
Use props
SFish
New
South Africa

Ani Posted at 2018-3-8 11:01
I was also facing this issue in the latest firmware update.
It kept disconnecting and when it reconnects the video transmission was never reconnected.
So i put my phone on flight mode and only wifi was enabled which was needed to connect with rc.

I’ll give this a whirl - thanks for the suggestion.
2018-3-8
Use props
Artur Macau
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256549 ft
Macao

I had that problem once, and then i found out that while i was messing with the wifi channels, i left it in manual and on a specific channel, probably that channel was getting too much interference and i would get disconnected with the drone hovering in front of me ....
2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

SFish Posted at 2018-3-8 11:34
All firmware (drone, batteries, remote) is up-to-date. Sorry, should have mentioned that in my otiginal post.

Please ensure that there is no influence around your spark. I would recommend you fly in a recommended place. Also, please enter the wifi setting and see if most of the channels are green. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I think that your solution is in answer #2
2018-3-8
Use props
SFish
New
South Africa

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-3-8 20:27
I think that your solution is in answer #2

The remote is losing its connection to the Spark, not to the iPhone. Or is the WiFi connection between the phone and the remote causing interference? Any idea why I can’t switch to 2.4Ghz?
2018-3-8
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

"This is really frustrating and I’d love some ideas about how to fix it."

Did you mean that? ;-)
Give it a shot! On wifi, your RC has to manage 2 wifis, on OTG, only one!
Get yourself a micro USB OTG Adapter, plug your USB to lightning cabel in there and in the phone, start the RC, wait till RC LED is solid red, plug in the adapter in the RC, start the Spark and try.
2018-3-9
Use props
Vyborny83
lvl.4
Flight distance : 166014 ft
Czechia

SFish Posted at 2018-3-8 22:26
The remote is losing its connection to the Spark, not to the iPhone. Or is the WiFi connection between the phone and the remote causing interference? Any idea why I can’t switch to 2.4Ghz?

Just a thought. In Europe we have some serious WiFi range issues due to a different regulations (FCC vs. CE). 5,8GHz channel has 20x less allowed power in Europe than it has in the US and almost no Android phone can use it (it is even uncertain if it can as this band is reserved for Short Ranged Devices).

Due to this situation, my max range with the RC is about 50m via 5,8Ghz between the Spark and the RC and because my android phone can't use the 5,8GHz band I can't switch to 2,4Ghz between the Spark and RC. This seems pretty much like your case. Do you know what are the WiFi regulations for the african country you are in ? You should definitely try the OTG cable.
2018-3-9
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
India

you need to fly without using the internet and keeping your airplane mode ON.  Take off the SPARK and move around by 10 meters and then return back and then try this  for 2 or 3 times, the SPARK will finally fly beyond the 50 meter limits.
2018-3-9
Use props
putduc
New
Serbia

Please I have problem that anyone have... I Have fly more combo, latest firmvere and etc.

PROBLEM: I conect phone with Remote with WiFi, evreting is ok, than when i turn off Spark, conection betven Phone and Remote brakes and i cant see anymore WiFi of the remote it doesn exist until i shotdown the Spark??

Somebody please?
2018-5-20
Use props
djiuser_jTX60TkgaIzV
New

United States

Not sure if this will help anyone else but I was having an issue where my drone just suddenly stopped connecting after a few seconds. I reset everything installed updates etc. I kept playing with it at home and put in wifi password manually on my phone (also removed my home wifi connection from auto joining) I went back to app and went into wifi settings and changed channel index to 0 (was at 150ish) now i am not having those issues. I had it on auto previously so not sure what exactly fixed it but think it was choosing an unstable channel. Hope this helps someone.
2020-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules