Free Video Editors for 4K? (med quality Windows-10 computer)
2285 18 2018-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Top_Speed1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 377664 ft
United States

I have used 3 fairly good free video editors in the past. I just jumped from Devinci to using HitFilm 4. I like it a lot but it is resource heavy. First things first, it would not load the drone movies as .mov format (lots of issues posted on this matter) so I have reset the Go4 Camera Settings to record in .mp4 format instead. Works now when imported into HitFilm.

My problem is that 4K video's ares laggy; when chopping and viewing on the timeline preview window. More my issue as these video editors are hungry monsters and my computer being new just a year ago, probably is not quite up to the standards anymore (at least 4K/30fps). I prefer the 4K video's (I have a 82" Samsung QLED for final viewing/showings), so going back to 1080P is kinda a buzz kill.

I know the bottom line answer is to go out and buy a new fast video graphics cpu and super high RAM computer, but that's a lot of cash for what always seems to be a short lived life span. Do you guys just eat crow and make 1080P video's (if you edit them?).

Anyone use/work with Lightworks or Open Shot editor?, mainly the 4K part of it. The ads says it's a lightweighjt editor. Not sure if that would mean for the 4K stuff or not?.

Suggestions welcomed! TY

2018-3-8
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I use sony vegas 14 Pro 64 BITS (4K SUPPORT) i use sony vegas products long time ago , im musician and produccer and i use different soft for audio  (sound forge) and video ( sony vegas)

PD : i never payed for this type of soft because it is cracked from beginning ;)
2018-3-8
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Welcome aboard !!!
2018-3-8
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use Cyberlink Power Director. I've tried Filmora and Adobe Elements both, Power Director works a lot better for me.
2018-3-8
Use props
Top_Speed1
lvl.2
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-3-8 10:18
I use Cyberlink Power Director. I've tried Filmora and Adobe Elements both, Power Director works a lot better for me.

I've heard the new Cyberlink Powerdirector 16 Ultra is supposedly light on the computers video hardware and favors Windows 10. It might be worth a $45 try, eh?
2018-3-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Top_Speed1 Posted at 2018-3-8 13:09
I've heard the new Cyberlink Powerdirector 16 Ultra is supposedly light on the computers video hardware and favors Windows 10. It might be worth a $45 try, eh?

The simple answer is that any decent editor, either free or paid, is going to need a powerful computer. You have already tried the best, Da Vinci Resolve. I have a completely seperate computer configured for doing video editing work, and that's the price you have to pay if you want to play in 4K.
2018-3-8
Use props
James R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423871 ft
United States

Adobe premier is like $20 a month. While I hate paying for it, it allows proxies which allow my pc to edit 4k video at a lower video quality. But, before anyone makes a solid recommendation, what are you computer stats. ?
2018-3-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

James R Posted at 2018-3-8 23:30
Adobe premier is like $20 a month. While I hate paying for it, it allows proxies which allow my pc to edit 4k video at a lower video quality. But, before anyone makes a solid recommendation, what are you computer stats. ?

Proxies are nothing new, any decent editor can use them. And $20 a month is like $240 a year, and the
moment you stop paying, so does the application. Premiere is Ransomware, and Adobe need to be taken to account for their greed.
2018-3-9
Use props
Top_Speed1
lvl.2
United States

I tried the Cyberlink PowerDirector 16 (trila version)  last night....

I liked it so much, I bought the paid version of it and within less than an hour of loading up the trial ver. Once you use an editor, the GUI is all pretty much the same, some shortcuts etc are different. But by far now, I have found my new video editing home!

Thank you Father Xmas!

I don't like subscriptions, or Adobe would of had my business.

BTW- Cyberlink PS16 renders video's FAST!. Like 20X faster than Devinci Resolve ever thought of.
It's also peppy within the timeline, even with 3K/29.7fps vids edited in. Devinci was sluggish on my computer and understand fully the one user who had to go all out computer wise to run it. Divinci is hardware logy by nature.

My OS is Win-10 and I have 40G of RAM. Cyberlink PS16 makes it now look like a speed demon!
2018-3-9
Use props
James R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423871 ft
United States

Top_Speed1 Posted at 2018-3-9 10:48

I liked it so much, I bought the paid version of it and within less than an hour of loading up the trial ver. Once you use an editor, the GUI is all pretty much the same, some shortcuts etc are different. But by far now, I have found my new video editing home!

I wouldnt call that a mid tier pc........
2018-3-9
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I liked it so much, I bought the paid version of it and within less than an hour of loading up the trial ver. Once you use an editor, the GUI is all pretty much the same, some shortcuts etc are different. But by far now, I have found my new video editing home!

I have tried several too, and my pc is a couple years old, so it is understandable DaVinci Reslove really struggles for me. Plus it takes quite a bit of knowledge to run in my opinion. I don't need professional results, but others may have the need.
I have had the best results with Filmora by Wondershare. While it is nothing high end I'm sure, it is easy to use, processes fast, and has basic editing, transitions, ability to add music, etc. You can use it as freeware and it has a watermark when exporting, but it is not expensive to buy and that removes the watermark. I'm thinking around $40 and you own it!
2018-3-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I liked it so much, I bought the paid version of it and within less than an hour of loading up the trial ver. Once you use an editor, the GUI is all pretty much the same, some shortcuts etc are different. But by far now, I have found my new video editing home!

'BTW- Cyberlink PS16 renders video's FAST!. Like 20X faster than Devinci Resolve ever thought of.
It's also peppy within the timeline, even with 3K/29.7fps vids edited in. Devinci was sluggish on my computer and understand fully the one user who had to go all out computer wise to run it. Divinci is hardware logy by nature.'

Da Vinci Resolve is a full professional system, it does way more than Cyberlink's application does, but to do that it requires a powerful computer. The best thing about it is that you can have a free version that does almost everything you will ever need to do, and even if you buy it, it is a one time payment.
2018-3-9
Use props
Top_Speed1
lvl.2
United States

I liked Resolve, and do think it was high end, especially for el gratis.

Just liking PowerDirector more.
2018-3-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Top_Speed1 Posted at 2018-3-9 15:38
I liked Resolve, and do think it was high end, especially for el gratis.

Just liking PowerDirector more.

That's fine, whatever you are happy with. But I have always done quite high end editing work, that's why I use Resolve. But I have a very high end computer as well.
2018-3-9
Use props
OneTenthOfAMileHighClub
lvl.2
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-9 16:02
That's fine, whatever you are happy with. But I have always done quite high end editing work, that's why I use Resolve. But I have a very high end computer as well.

AVID have released a Free 1080p (Non 4k) Video editor called "Avid Media Composer First".

A Review  HERE >>  https://www.pcworld.com/article/ ... r-first-review.html discussed the lack of interface finesse, lack of 4k, and Steep learning curve.

It may however suit some, and thus  my mentioning it here.

My general recollection was that  JulieAnne Kost (an Adobe Evangelist) had produced a video where she (as I remember it) edited a 1080p video in Lightroom, then successfully 'applied' those edits to a second video that was in fact a 4k video.

Does this ring any bells with the Lightroom Users??

2018-3-9
Use props
Top_Speed1
lvl.2
United States

I added a drone (kind of a test) Ultra-4K video of 13mins in PowerDirector. I do have 40G of RAM, other than that I'd say more or less an average "good" computer, certainly no screaming eagle. This 4K video rendered in less than 3 hrs w PD16. Devinci Resolve would of been an overnite ordeal. 4K is a pig for sure,1080P in 30fps is no issue in Resolve, but still way slicker and quicker in PD16.

PS; Subscriptions to our travel channel are welcomed!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1q4-GIRiCmacxj4WLe4aPA

2018-3-22
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Spain

Top_Speed1 Posted at 2018-3-22 07:11
I added a drone (kind of a test) Ultra-4K video of 13mins in PowerDirector. I do have 40G of RAM, other than that I'd say more or less an average "good" computer, certainly no screaming eagle. This 4K video rendered in less than 3 hrs w PD16. Devinci Resolve would of been an overnite ordeal. 4K is a pig for sure,1080P in 30fps is no issue in Resolve, but still way slicker and quicker in PD16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcstJhgZVfw&t=18s

Fantastic Video !!!
2018-3-22
Use props
Top_Speed1
lvl.2
United States

Thank you!... and thanks for the Channel Subscript too!!!!!
2018-3-22
Use props
amazingfriend
lvl.2

United States

As you said, you need free video editors for 4K videos, I just edit some large MKV 4k videos the other day: https://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/mkv-splitter.html
It provides three free tools to edit 4k videos: Free HD video converter factory, VSDC, and clipchamp. Actually, I have tried Open Shot before, and now I'm using VSDC Free Video Editor. Indeed, Open Shot and VSDC can do great editing work, yet the interface is quite complicated for me, personally.
For basic 4k video editing, Free HD video converter factory and clipchamp are enough. For more professional video editing work, you can use VSDC.
2018-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules