New Inspire 1 came with swollen battery and no camera signal
667 8 2018-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rio Fox
lvl.1
United States

I purchased a new Inspire 1 to use for my office and to start new drone business in my area. I purchased it through Sams Club. When it arrived on 3/3/2018, I was super excited, however 4 hours later the battery could still not charge. Ok minor hiccup, I expected something like this could happen since it was probably sitting at a ware house for quite a while. Apperently since 2015. Ok not a problem I'll just create a support ticket. Fortunately I purchased additional tb48 batteries. I was able to turn on the inspire after a whole day of charging batteries. I noticed there was no video signal. Everything else was operational but I could not see FPV. So I update all of the firmwares and now they are at the latest and still no signal. I removed the micro sd card powered on the inspire and still no video. I have tried wiggling the usb cable and nothing. I can see all the telemetry, control the gimbal, record video and take pictures from the remote but no stiking video stream. I can't even review the video and pictures recorded unless I eject the micro sd card and plug into my computer. It's been almost a week and I have yet to fly my Inspire 1. I must say my patience is wearing thin.

Any ideas what I can try to get my video signal to transmit?
IMG_8236.jpg
2018-3-8
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Just take it back
2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are so sorry to read on your experience with our product, for the image transmission issue, please follow the steps below to have a try.
1. Did the aircraft exit Travel Mode? What is the color of the indicator in the aircraft?
2. Try different mobile device with strong decoding ability and other USB cables. Do not run other APP except the DJI Go.
3. Check the position of the antennas on the remote controller. Please make sure the remote controller’s antennas are positioned parallel to and are pointed towards the aircraft. You can also change another RC to test if possible.
4. Set the channel as "Auto" in Image Transmission setting, the controller will choose the best channel with the highest quality automatically.
5. Clear the PIN contact and check if the cable is tight and plugged well. contact.png pin.png
If the issue persists after troubleshooting, please contact your dealer for replacement if they are able to help you out.

2018-3-9
Use props
Donnie -
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

More than like;y you have a corrupted Video module on the camera .

When you updated the Aircraft with the SD card  did you have the RC transmitter on as well ??

donnie
2018-3-9
Use props
djiuser_fiQgdFqHaUQg
lvl.3

Philippines

Swollen means it got discharged to 0% then it started that. It means that the unit has never been opened since manufacture date.
2018-3-9
Use props
Rio Fox
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-9 00:51
We are so sorry to read on your experience with our product, for the image transmission issue, please follow the steps below to have a try.
1. Did the aircraft exit Travel Mode? What is the color of the indicator in the aircraft?
2. Try different mobile device with strong decoding ability and other USB cables. Do not run other APP except the DJI Go.

1. Yes. Interestingly, after the FW, the inspire thought it was in travel mode even though the landing gears were down. The gimbal acted funny until I took it out of travel move my flipping the switch on the controller.

2. I tried with different USB cables using only the DJI go app. Closed all applications on my iPhone 6 and even restarted the phone to ensure that the RAM was clear.

3.  I tried with the controller right next to the inspire, the antenna's facing it, the antennas touching the drone. Tried it indoors and outdoors. I didn't try it while standing on my head though. (I would try that if I could stand on my head). I don't have a second RC so I couldn't try this. However I can see all the telemetry and have full control of what the camera and gimbal do. I can control the exposure, I can tap on the screen and it will adjust the image based on what should be displayed on that portion of the screen, I can start a recording and take pictures. The only thing I can do is see what the camera is seeing in real time or even replay anything stored on the micro SD card from the controller.

4. I had the channel set to AUTO originally then I saw a post that recommended trying channel 20. I tried that and nothing.

5. I have checked the PIN and they look normal, I have not tried removing the gimbal to check the cable.
2018-3-9
Use props
Rio Fox
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-9 00:51
We are so sorry to read on your experience with our product, for the image transmission issue, please follow the steps below to have a try.

I contacted Sams Club today and asked for a replacement. Based on the date stamp of the QA tag, it's been sitting around in a warehouse for a couple of years, and probably moved around so much, that it's probably been subjected to extreme temperatures and bumps. The poor bird was hurt before hatching.
2018-3-9
Use props
Rio Fox
lvl.1
United States

Donnie - Posted at 2018-3-9 05:00
More than like;y you have a corrupted Video module on the camera .

When you updated the Aircraft with the SD card  did you have the RC transmitter on as well ??

The problem could be in the controller module, I've heard of the USB port developing a cold solder type of problem where if you wiggle the USB cable, the video may come on again. The problem could also be in the bird itself not transmitting the signal, in the link between the camera and the drone, or like you suggested, in the video module in the camera which at this point seems to be the most likely scenario. It can record the video to the micro SD card but it can not reproduce it. I can see how many videos have been recorded to the micro SD from the controller but not play them back.

The problem was there before I performed the FW updates. Yes I did have the RC transmitter on as well.
2018-3-9
Use props
Donnie -
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Rio Fox Posted at 2018-3-9 09:40
The problem could be in the controller module, I've heard of the USB port developing a cold solder type of problem where if you wiggle the USB cable, the video may come on again. The problem could also be in the bird itself not transmitting the signal, in the link between the camera and the drone, or like you suggested, in the video module in the camera which at this point seems to be the most likely scenario. It can record the video to the micro SD card but it can not reproduce it. I can see how many videos have been recorded to the micro SD from the controller but not play them back.

The problem was there before I performed the FW updates. Yes I did have the RC transmitter on as well.

If you still have the SD card with the update on it , try and look at the log, it will be the one on the very bottom of the page .  Bet  you it says"device Not connected " on lines 0800 and 1500. If you still have the SD card the data will be on it .  If you dont have the SD card then you could try to reload the SD card with the UPDATE  that you did last and then try and read the log.  Hopefully you have the original SD card as sometimes trying to load the SD card  to the AC wont work if you have the 'Device Not Detected " on lines 0800 and 1500 .

IN the future NEVER have the RC transmitter on when updating the Aircraft, ( I know you say the problem was already there , just for futrue reference )  I would still just return it and start  over otherwise you will need to send the camera into DJI for repair and that can take weeks .(This was not your fault ! ) Dji instructions are terrible .
If everthing else works, you can start the motors and you get telemetry data etc and can record to the SD card JSUT NO LIVE VIDEO  then I say with near certaintly that the problem is. a corrupted  video module on the camera that happend as a result of having the RC transmitter on when updating the Airicraft  ( or other reason ) .  It wont happen every time but I  have seen a significant correlation in the two.  DJI does not put enough empahsis on this and I think it is a dam shame .

before you do any updating read my tips page and it will help you .

I will give you two links , one is how to read the log off the SD card and the Other is Tips on updating the RC and AC .  Also Always update the Aircraft first .
Tips: Loading NEW firmware to RC and AC- Insp. 1 Phantom ADV & PRO
How to View Hidden Files: Diagnostic tool for SD and No Signal Issue
***The problem  is NOT in the RC transmitter , I consider myslef almost an expert on this particular problem and can almost say  with certainty ( Anthing is of course possible ) that the Encoder module has failed on the Camera itself .  If you can check the SD card we can confirm this , lines 0800 and 1500 .

***ON the go app with the entire system on what versions of FW do you have on the system  ( go the "about " tab on general settings , it is towards the bottom  can you please take a screen shot or just list them ?   AC -RC - camera - and go app versions please .  I have one other idea possible but if you are up to date it wont matter .   sample below ( Not current fW on the sample  but gives you the page I would like to see )

about page 1.8.PNG
2018-3-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules