GoPro foootage better than the P3 Professional?
3753 21 2015-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was having my P2 repaired today when the guy who works on all of the Phantoms told me he was repairing a P3 and that the 4k and 2.7k footage from the GoPro Hero4+ Black is still better than the P3 footage.  He acknowledged that there is no ability to switch between photos and videos or change the settings on the Gopro versions, but said the P2 with the H4-3d gimbal is still better for video quality.  Anyone heard anything similar or see it in your own video?
2015-5-4
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

From videos posted on YouTube that I've seen, the only real difference I can see is the FOV are different (depending on the GoPro camera setting).  Sharpness, exposure, and colour accuracy seem quite comparable.  Each camera is designed for a difference purpose as well, the GoPro are ACTION cameras meant for sports, water activities, etc., whereas the Phantom cameras are designed for aerial photography.  Sure you can use a GoPro on some of the Phantoms, but each camera are designed with different applications in mind.  
2015-5-4
Use props
coreynach
lvl.2
Flight distance : 208589 ft
United States

Sound like he is reciting hearsay... The Gopro 4 uses the exact same sensor as the P3 Pro... Though there could obviously be differences in post processing software on the camera, their sensors are identical, and the lens used on both camera's seem equivalent. Photography nerds could discuss differences in moire, and focal length aberrations forever,  but in the video footage I've seen of both, they are both capable of great and equivalent footage.
2015-5-4
Use props
rogeruzun
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325659 ft
United States

I think the hero4 black handles exposure better for sure.  The lens on the P3 distorts less.  Overall there are aspects of Hero 4 Black footage that are better, and there are aspects of the p3 Pro footage that's better.  The hero4 is wider and features some very high frame rates above 60p as well (but only 30p at 4k).

-Roger
2015-5-4
Use props
coreynach
lvl.2
United States

rogeruzun@gmail Posted at 2015-5-5 09:38
I think the hero4 black handles exposure better for sure.  The lens on the P3 distorts less.  Overal ...

Perhaps you mean using "auto" the GP4 handles exposure better. I agree the the P3's default auto exposure is over exposed, IMHO... But it manually handles exposure fine... and if you drop it's default auto setting down a step, I think it's good...
2015-5-4
Use props
Jerdel
lvl.2

United States

This is for the inspire but the P3 camera has the same hardware.  You can see the P3 looks alot better than the gopro
2015-5-4
Use props
bryson79
lvl.2

United States

There is the aspect of sensor, lens, and processing of the image which to me seem quite similar. But the fact that the DJI camera is much slimmer, lighter really seems to be an improvement. I am guessing but it looks like it is just a lens and sensor and then they moved the rest of the camera up in the the gimbals mounting base.  I feel like this reduced size and weight has made the gimbal on the P3 is much better than the Hero 3 and 4 gimbals on the P2. While the P2 gimbals were really good I feel like there is a noticeable improvement in the P3, It gives the feel of being mounted to a tripod in the sky.  
2015-5-4
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

Jerdel Posted at 2015-5-5 11:05
This is for the inspire but the P3 camera has the same hardware.  You can see the P3 looks alot bett ...

The Inspire (or P3) video looks like it has more contrast over the GoPro video more than anything, which in my opinion makes it better than the GoPro.  The GH4 video is better again, especially with sharpness and clarity!!  Which you would expect from a DSLR camera lol.  Nonetheless the P3 camera still proves to be of a very high quality!
2015-5-4
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

"Better" is really not the right word to use for comparing cameras. You could take a lot of videos and show them to people and each of the people have different eyes - all screens are different also.

I think we've gotten to the point where it's the "artist" who determines the quality of the work - the tools are more than good enough for hobby and even prosumer (light commercial) work. Now we have to learn how to use them better.

Even if the best video to ever come out of GP4 was as good or better than a P3, the lack of being able to fully control the camera from the ground is a deal breaker. Integration is important.

Also, I suspect that the lens in the P3 is much better - more purpose built for aerial work. Lastly, DJI can update the options...again geared toward the way we actually use it.

My P3 is a bit crazy with the auto-exposure in video...but I have no fiddled with the settings. I used it at sunset last night and it brightened up the picture vastly (looked great) while facing down but when I tilted it up  it darkened everything greatly. I suspect I need to learn about the video settings and also that DJI may tune some of this stuff as we go along.
2015-5-4
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

coreynach@gmail Posted at 2015-5-5 09:33
Sound like he is reciting hearsay... The Gopro 4 uses the exact same sensor as the P3 Pro... Though  ...

Talking about hearsay - do we know that the GoPro4 use the same Sony Exmor sensor as the P3?

Frankly, I'm mostly a bit disappointed that the P3 does not offer the same resolutions and framerates as the GoPro4. The 2,7k would likely be very useful for projects intended for 1080p. Also having that higher than 1080p resolution at a higher framerate than 30 could be handy.

Furthermore, I would love if the P3 would offer the same high framerates as the GoPro4 - 120 in 1080p which would make some really awesome slomo's in full HD possible - and if I recall correctly - even 240 fps in 720p. Could be great for some things as well. And I don't really see any reason why the P3 camera should not be able to offer those framerates as it can handle the same (or even slightly higher) bitrates as the GoPro4. AND some claim (I still need to see a link/proof) that it is even the same hardware/sensor in both cameras.

I do think comparison-videos on YouTube tend to favor the P3-camera (likely because they are made by people selling P3s ). The problem of many of these comparisons is that what I am interested in is not so much the standard output but what is possible with protune (GoPro4) vs LOG-color (P3 camera) and tweaking saturation and perhaps sharpness and then colorgrade afterwards and doing some sharpening in postproduction.

Most importantly, and a good point John.lambert4, is that the Phantom3-camera is designed with aerial video and photography in mind. It is a HUGE advantage for the Phantom3 over the GoPro4, that the P3 has a rectilinear lens so NO MORE FISHEYE. Fisheye is really "old hat" and "so last year". Not having to remove the Fisheye in post-production is a huge bonus and helps a lot to retain image quality.

So currently, I would say the P3 camera wins. Not least because of the huge benefits of being able to control fine details via the app. So no doubt that you can get great results with the GoPro4, you will more likely get good results with the P3-cam.

PS: And Please DJI - add the 2,7 resolution to the P3 and the higher framerates as the GoPro4 - and it would be a clear winner on almost all points!
2015-5-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Look at the rich color rendering and over all picture sharpness of the Phantom 3 Pro' camera, compared to both others, in this example.

http://youtu.be/5d863LnHi_k

I think the Phantom 3 Pro' 4K camera is quite amazing...

RedHotPoker
2015-5-4
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

RedHotPoker Posted at 2015-5-5 11:57
Look at the rich color rendering and over all picture sharpness of the Phantom 3 Pro' camera, compar ...

What is strange in that comparison is, that the P3 and Inspire footage ought to look perfectly similar as the camera is supposedly exactly the same, sans the external packaging. It does however only appear to be the exposure that is a bit different between the two? Why that is, I'm curious if anyone can explain. Perhaps they are not running the same firmware or something like that? I think both cameras are the FC350 camera.

To me it does not make too much sense in judging the camera based on the "rich color rendering" as for more professional use it would be preferable that it does not add a lot of color in-camera. It is preferable to get a more 'flat' video that retains as much dynamic range and detail as possible, and then add the color (color-grade) later in the video-editor (or color-grading software). This is what the LOG-mode is for (or ProTune on GoPro). It is *slightly* comparable to shooting DNG-RAW photos vs. the compressed processed JPGs. Out-of-the-camera it will look slightly boring and non-exciting. But you have more freedom and retain more quality and after color-grading you can make the footage look the best possible. If you just want to review the videofiles and not go thru the hassle of video-editing and color-grading you might get the most eyepopping effects by using something like the Vivid-setting. You will, however, have less freedom in post-production. So thats a decision you have to take before shooting the video.

In fact, an overly "in-camera"-sharpened image is also a problem. Which is why you will see some more professional users will select lower (-1) sharpening - and then adding a bit of the sharpening in post-production. Personally I look forward to experimenting with that when DJI gets their act together and launch the iOS app.

In other words, I do find those comparisons with "standard settings all auto" interesting, but they do not tell the whole story as there is (hopefully) a lot to gain by using the more advanced settings and enhancing the footage in post-production.
2015-5-4
Use props
coreynach
lvl.2
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-5 11:29
Talking about hearsay - do we know that the GoPro4 use the same Sony Exmor sensor as the P3?

Fran ...

Actually, you are right... I am spouting hearsay.. While it is fact that the P3 uses the Sony Exmor sensor, it is only tech publication speculation that the GoPro uses the exact one... It definitely does use a Sony sensor... but it may not be the same. In either case, I think the P3 camera is an equivalent. Definitely in the same class...

That said, I agree with you on all the shooting modes... Those are probably more software driven... If a sensor can do 4K, they should have no problem doing a 2.7K option too. Now... the 1080 120fps is questionably though... that depends on other factors... but is the sensor and rest of the p3 camera hardware is up to the task, I agree it would be great to have a 1080p 120fps, and even a 720p 240fps, if possible.... Perhaps DJI will do a software update that adds it in the future... I sure would love that.
2015-5-4
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

coreynach@gmail Posted at 2015-5-5 13:12
Actually, you are right... I am spouting hearsay.. While it is fact that the P3 uses the Sony Exmo ...

Would be great with a software update that gave us those functions. It ought to be possible. But they might be saving it for the next version so we feel we neeeeeeeeed that next year or later this year

A little research showed a teardown of the GoPro4
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/GoPro+Hero3+Teardown/12457

And it appears that the GoPro4 uses this Sony chip:
http://www.sony.net/Products/SC- ... 0/pdf/imx117cqt.pdf

I recall seeing a similar Sony spec-sheet for the Inspire/P3 camera, but I can't find the link for it right now. It does indeed appear very similar (same class) as the Inspire/P3 chip, but I do seem to recall it not being that exact chip.

And there might be more to the store - ie. the image processing etc. I don't know if Sony sells the whole package or GoPro makes some stuff themselves.

The much more cinematic rectilinear non-fisheye (die Fisheye die!) P3-camera is a huge advantage. Plus the whole integration, AND the LightBridge range and quality.
2015-5-4
Use props
pishposh
lvl.1

United States

coreynach@gmail Posted at 2015-5-5 13:12
Actually, you are right... I am spouting hearsay.. While it is fact that the P3 uses the Sony Exmo ...

I'm sure DJI could easily implement 2.7k and higher frame rates if they wanted to.  The fact is, however, that they don't really NEED to right now.  GoPro is an awesome camera, but it is also a niche product developed for specific types of activities.  GoPro's were initially put on drones because they were the best available camera for the job at the time, not because they were aerial cameras.  I believe that DJI is loosely competing with GoPro with a high quality 4k camera, but they are also differentiating themselves from them as well.  

While they may not be offering 2.7k and 120fps, they could argue that their camera has added value over the GoPro with its rectilinear lens and integration that allows full camera control over the app.  They've also added dng for stills, which would hold some value over the GoPro for those interested in photography.  With the P3, you also don't have to worry about two sets of batteries like you would with a GoPro, shortening the time from setup to flying.  Etc, etc.

When/If GoPro comes out with a drone of their own, with the great camera features that they have now, DJI will be forced to play the one-up game for sure.
2015-5-4
Use props
coreynach
lvl.2
United States

pishposh Posted at 2015-5-5 15:32
I'm sure DJI could easily implement 2.7k and higher frame rates if they wanted to.  The fact is, h ...

I agree that DJI is being smart by differentiating by picking camera properties that are perfect for aerial, and forgetting the rest. However, I'd argue that high frame rates do help for aerial shot... so a 120fps would be nice... Also aerial slo-mo would is awesome, as the recent Brainfarm video of the 1000 fps Phantom flying drone proved (in this case I mean the phantom high-speed camera, not our phantoms)... So again 120fps and 240fps modes would be awesome.

2015-5-4
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

pishposh Posted at 2015-5-5 15:32
I'm sure DJI could easily implement 2.7k and higher frame rates if they wanted to.  The fact is, h ...

I agree with your points.

I will however point out, that I think that if DJI matched those FPS and resolution-specs as close to 1:1 with the GoPro4 it would remove the doubt for a lot of people who still are of the impression that the GoPro4 is a better camera (which - in some respects it is (I think the Phantom3Pro's camera is best in the most important respects)).

Remember, the most exciting and interesting current competitor for the DJI Phantom 3 is the 3DR Solo, which integrates "fully" with the GoPro4 and thereby gaining a lot of the advantages that the integrated DJI camera provides.

The 3DR Solo is an exciting new drone with a lot of potential and it might sooner than we think become a very real competitor to the Phantom. So far it is a lot of "in the future in will be able to" and "people might develop this and that cool thing, gimble for BlackMagic minicam etc.". Interestingly a lot of the same sales-rap that Colin Quinn gives on the videos where he presents the 3DR Iris+ :-)  And the Iris+ is totally outdated, looks completely archaic and is barely on par with the Phantom1. If people bought that expecting it to be a "futureproof platform" that a bunch of developers would be expanding the functionality of, they will be sorely disappointed I think, because 3DR is (naturally) going all-in on the Solo. At least untill they come up with the next version :-)  For me thats why I did not really consider the Solo over the Phantom 3Pro. The Solo has great potential, a few advantages, but a lot of drawbacks and disadvantages compared to the DJI product. Nevertheless, I think it will will be a worthy competitor in a year or so... Exciting times - and lets face it; the Phantom 3 will not be the last drone we get because there is SO much evolution and development going on in this space.

We haven't seen anything yet :-)
2015-5-5
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

you've given me something to mull over on my flight.  i am deciding whether to go with the P3 Pro or just go ahead and buy the Inspire.
2015-5-6
Use props
afo45td
lvl.1

United States

This argument will never be settled. It is subjective. One overlooked fact is not generaly ever considered. Should any average  movie lover or art critic see the same footage thats shot once with GP and once again with DJI camera, they would likely see no difference. Human vision is the same as and opinion of music quality and hearing. Sight and hearing   values vary a good bit form human to human.No two are the same.
Vision like sound and hearing allows for one listener to hear the oboe and the second to hear more trombone when the same recording is played. If you got either, you got great video, so why sweat the small stuff.
2015-8-14
Use props
afo45td
lvl.1

United States

john.lambert4@o Posted at 2015-5-5 09:28
From videos posted on YouTube that I've seen, the only real difference I can see is the FOV are diff ...

After cataract surgery, my doctor pointed out to me the huge diffrent in thenew lens and my other 64 year old lens, whites in the new lens were four times as bright or white as the dull white of my nartural lens which had a very slight yellow tinge. Doctor stated all vision changes in ways more than focusing ability. The eye and ear are living organisms that change.

So who has the optimal sight then, A four year old child ? Thats is what adjustments are for right ?
2015-8-14
Use props
afo45td
lvl.1

United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-5 11:29
"Better" is really not the right word to use for comparing cameras. You could take a lot of videos a ...

No two images appear the same to any two viewers like a musical recording. You hear it diffrently based on your mood, age, lighting setting on the device you veiw on, Just as any living organ, be it hearing, sight or voice, they all change over time. This one fact turns all the back and forth over whats better into a subjective opinion. I am curious why even grown adults waist time on it. A 4 year old baby is the only one with the perfect vision to make the judgement. he cant speak very well, so i guess we will nevr know. NEXT TOPIC PLEASE
2015-8-14
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

afo45td Posted at 2015-8-15 11:26
No two images appear the same to any two viewers like a musical recording. You hear it diffrently  ...

It's the old story "my dad can lick your dad"....

People like to discuss what is better - when, in fact, there really isn't one in this case. It all depends on what you want (wide angle, no wide angle, etc.) and then hands of the artist taking the shots and editing them.
2015-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules