2348 10 2018-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Scott Moore
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1141201 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is my second spark. The first one would have random disconnects. Last time it disconnected from the controller it was about 75ft from me and went into return home. Right up through the power lines but did not hit it.

I emailed logs to DJI 2 different times with no response. I had it for about 2 months and a few dissconnects but had full control. This time was different.

It's a good thing I work at a retail store where I was just able to exchange the entire setup for a new one.

DJI Spark #2
First few flights where great no issues. Worked like a charm.

Today I took it off and got up to about 90ft and I saw all the lights flashing red. I looked at my screen and saw compas error.
It started to drift with the wind so I just started to pull down on the right stick to get it down.

I was not recording video but have captured the screen and flight log.
Screen video

Flight log
http://app.airdata.com/main?shar ... ENERALNotifications

I have owned the Phantom 3, Mavic Pro and now the spark and have never crashed. I have 250 flights in all I never had these issues. If someone can offer some details on this it would be great. I am so trying to avoid a fly away.

Maybe DJI can offer some type of resolution to my issue.

I have the latest firmware and running this on IOS 11.2.6
DJI Go 4 v4.2.6 (3084)
I am using the OTG cable
I also have wifi and bluetooth turned off.
2018-3-8
Use props
Greg Glasson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 284843 ft
Australia

You do know that OTG is not supported, right?
2018-3-8
Use props
Scott Moore
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I know the previous version of the software did not support it. But the latest version it is now working again.You now get all data when flying that you did not before.

It looks like they are supporting it now.
They are selling 2 items that let you use OTG cable for goggles and Crystal Sky

DJI Goggles Micro USB OTG Cable
https://store.dji.com/product/dji-goggles-micro-usb-otg-cable

CrystalSky Mavic Pro/Spark Remote Controller Mounting Bracket
https://store.dji.com/product/cr ... rc-mounting-bracket
2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Scott Moore Posted at 2018-3-8 22:02
I know the previous version of the software did not support it. But the latest version it is now working again.You now get all data when flying that you did not before.

It looks like they are supporting it now.

Scott, please ensure that you fly in a place without influence. If this happen frequently, please export the flight data and the black box for analysis. You can upload it to dropbox and post the link here. Thanks for your support.

2018-3-8
Use props
Scott Moore
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here is the link to the data I think you need.
Thanks,

https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... 1s4Elm9?usp=sharing
2018-3-8
Use props
MaxBDS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 161437 ft
Italy

Hello
I had similar problems.
2018-3-9
Use props
Scott Moore
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Not sure what the deal is. 2nd Spark and have sent in logs and have never seen a response to the logs from the 1st one and now the new one.
Just sent in a email to support to see what they can help with.
2018-3-17
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

I had the same thing briefly happen today. The difference is I had 17 satellites and all 5 signal strength bars on - this suddenly went to none and I got the same screen warnings as Scott. This lasted for a few seconds, then GPS came back.

I was flying at an official AMA flying field in a forest preserve, and I was the only one there. What would cause such a sudden loss of strong GPS?

I should add that I was flying in sport mode for the first time.
2018-3-17
Use props
Lis Morris
lvl.2
United Kingdom

marlowe Posted at 2018-3-17 19:38
I had the same thing briefly happen today. The difference is I had 17 satellites and all 5 signal strength bars on - this suddenly went to none and I got the same screen warnings as Scott. This lasted for a few seconds, then GPS came back.

I was flying at an official AMA flying field in a forest preserve, and I was the only one there. What would cause such a sudden loss of strong GPS?

It is possible to reproduce the dreaded Yaw Error, and from doing it, various users have deduced that it is caused by the aircraft spinning faster than the compass can cope with.

When the compass becomes confused, GPS becomes useless because the craft needs both GPS and the compass in order to navigate, so it drops into atti mode. If it is windy, this can be a problem, because the craft can then get carried away unless the user is ready for a quick rescue.

I've also reproduced the yaw error by flying in very gusty winds. If a wind catches the Spark and spins it unexpectedly, you will get the yaw error and sudden drift. It can be pretty scary just how quickly the Spark can move once it is no longer holding position using gps!

Unfortunately, it's simply a feature of the Spark due to its lack of dual compasses. The second, redundant compass was sacrificed to reduce size, and therefore we can get yaw errors.

I have adopted a best practice approach: I always make sure I know which way the wind is blowing and I am ready to take over control should I get an yaw error and a loss of GPS. If it happens, my first action is to drop down closer to the ground, and then manually steer back to myself. So far, this has saved me any flyaways.
2018-3-18
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

Lis Morris Posted at 2018-3-18 12:33
It is possible to reproduce the dreaded Yaw Error, and from doing it, various users have deduced that it is caused by the aircraft spinning faster than the compass can cope with.

When the compass becomes confused, GPS becomes useless because the craft needs both GPS and the compass in order to navigate, so it drops into atti mode. If it is windy, this can be a problem, because the craft can then get carried away unless the user is ready for a quick rescue.

Thanks for the comment Lis. With my limited experience - I only fly on fairly calm days. From what you say, perhaps my first experience with sport mode resulted in some jerky motion that caused what you described. In fact the flight path shows a somewhat sharp direction change when the yaw errors started.

What is still confusing though - why did the GPS signal strength suddenly go from 5 bars to nothing?
2018-3-18
Use props
fansc19dfc9e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161319 ft
United Kingdom

marlowe Posted at 2018-3-18 15:28
Thanks for the comment Lis. With my limited experience - I only fly on fairly calm days. From what you say, perhaps my first experience with sport mode resulted in some jerky motion that caused what you described. In fact the flight path shows a somewhat sharp direction change when the yaw errors started.

What is still confusing though - why did the GPS signal strength suddenly go from 5 bars to nothing?

The gps itself doesn't go to nothing. This is the drone turning the gps off to stop the conflict in data between the compass and gps. As far as I can tell it can be cause by anything that means a large discrepancy between data coming from each sensor. It either registers as a compass error, yaw error or magnetic interference error. The latter doesn't necessarily mean there is mag interference. Just a conflict in the data that the programing can't deal with. As described before it drops the least important sensor until the error is resolved and the data matches. Then it reinstates both sensors. The best way to combat the problem is to gain control with as gentle movements with the controller as possible and stabilize the craft. This tends to allow for the error to pass and regain full controll. As mentiined above a good idea of the wind direction so you can stop it blowing away is essential. I personaly try to do all my distance flying into the wind for 2 reasons. One is that it always ensure battery will last long enough to get home and secondly for the reason if it looses sensors at some distance the wind ends up bringing it closer to home :-)
2018-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules