5484 16 2018-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans83dd7f65
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1496644 ft
Finland

Hi all
I'm a MAVIC AIR user and I'm experiencing  a not so usefull low descent speed of mavic air,  expecially when it is necessary to return home quickly due to low battery warning and the MAVIC AIR is at high altitude...
on my opinion  3 m/s  descent speed it to low  (when it is not in sport mode)

Is it possible to change it or   can this my question be forwared to DJI team to modify it  at least at 5/6  m/s  (even not is sport mode) ?

Thanks
Alex

2018-3-9
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Before you do that,  you might want to Google "Vortex Ring State" and find out why the descent rate is slower.
2018-3-9
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Are you executing a RTH or are you landing manually?
2018-3-9
Use props
fans83dd7f65
lvl.3
Finland

Griffith Posted at 2018-3-9 06:23
Are you executing a RTH or are you landing manually?

Both.
witout using spor mode,  the descent speed il quite low.
2018-3-9
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

there is a faster way ;) disable motor midair ;)
but back to topic: check what Brad did point out - it's always faster (+safer) to combine descending with some horizontal movements, to avoid Vortexes
2018-3-9
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 376450 ft
United Kingdom

To avoid the prop wash, it is better to reduce height as you are moving which will allow you to scrub height before you descend
2018-3-9
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

The RTH descent is by-design slower than a manual descent.  You shouldn't need to go to sport mode, just take manual control of the descent for a faster descent.  
2018-3-12
Use props
fans83dd7f65
lvl.3
Italy

Griffith Posted at 2018-3-12 08:13
The RTH descent is by-design slower than a manual descent.  You shouldn't need to go to sport mode, just take manual control of the descent for a faster descent.

Thanks.
I agree on RTH,  but also  manual max descent speed is verly slow, compared to my previous Phantom 3 still not in sport mode,  in order to use all sensors.
It should be advisable to increase at least of 2-3 Kph
2018-3-12
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I'm finding the Air's flight characteristics in P mode to be a little unnatural; its descending speed is not quite proportional to its forward/backward speeds. I used the word 'unnatural' because it's different from every other RC aircraft I have. Of course I can learn to get used to the way it flys but on doing that I am unlearning how to fly my other RC aircrafts, and that includes collective pitch 3D helicopters!  So 9 out of 10 times I have to flick it to Sport mode when I'm flying it back before landing.  
2018-3-12
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-3-9 06:20
Before you do that,  you might want to Google "Vortex Ring State" and find out why the descent rate is slower.

Learning something every day
2018-3-13
Use props
alonzowest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 40938 ft
  • >>>
United States

KREMi Posted at 2018-3-9 07:04
there is a faster way ;) disable motor midair ;)
but back to topic: check what Brad did point out - it's always faster (+safer) to combine descending with some horizontal movements, to avoid Vortexes

you cant disable the motors midair ;) the stick combination is disabled while flying!!!! which im super happy for. always worried about doing that by mistake while flying my phantom 3! - but switch to sport mode imo
it descends pretty  fast to me.
2018-3-13
Use props
Benjamin Wang
New

Hong Kong

alonzowest Posted at 2018-3-13 03:27
you cant disable the motors midair ;) the stick combination is disabled while flying!!!! which im super happy for. always worried about doing that by mistake while flying my phantom 3! - but switch to sport mode imo
it descends pretty  fast to me.

How did you know? Did you test it? It should work if you did not set it to “in emergencies only”.
2019-3-26
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Benjamin Wang Posted at 3-26 06:52
How did you know? Did you test it? It should work if you did not set it to “in emergencies only”.

tested see > https://forum.dji.com/thread-172296-1-1.html

cheers
JJB
2019-3-27
Use props
djiuser_ZRYtNSaBxuL3
lvl.3

Indonesia

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-3-9 06:20

Dji never VRS,
2021-8-15
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Because DJI descends slower to prevent VRS from happening.   
2021-8-29
Use props
Adriano Araujo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

If you go forward while going down will faster your descent speed (the IMU knows that going forward the VRS will be low). You can descent in a "spring pattern" - it will give the best results.
2021-9-1
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44914321 ft
Sweden

As some has suggested, going down and forward towards you will bring down the drone quite fast. Try it. I do this many times and it saves the batteries from going too low.
2021-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules