Almost crashed in the woods (a lesson learnt!)
12Next >
3279 61 2018-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

Mavic Pro

This was my first flight of a 7 battery session, had everything planned... walked the route a couple of times, temporarily weaved some branches out of the way, visualized some potential risks and actions to take. There was one thing I hadn't planned for or even considered.
The flight was in tripod mode flown backwards as seen below.

Was totally in the zone and 100% focused but this was completely my fault, I wonder if anyone can work out or guess what I did wrong to cause the Mavic to suddenly accend!?!!

Thanks for watching

2018-3-9
Use props
burnham187
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Did it lose connection because of all the trees therefore tried to return to home?  Doing that will cause it to try to ascend.  
2018-3-9
Use props
PedalingDuo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 31896 ft
United States

Lost connection was my guess as well.  

Can you get the same effect flying forward and reversing the time in an editing program?
2018-3-9
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

burnham187 Posted at 2018-3-9 12:12
Did it lose connection because of all the trees therefore tried to return to home?  Doing that will cause it to try to ascend.

Nope, good guess, it could have been that but I had the return to home set to hover.
2018-3-9
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

PedalingDuo Posted at 2018-3-9 12:21
Lost connection was my guess as well.  

Can you get the same effect flying forward and reversing the time in an editing program?

Nope, good guess, it could have been that but I had the return to home set to hover.

Yeah could have flown this forwards but the most difficult part was the first bit so flew it backwards right at the beginning in case I needed to make multiple attempts and not have to fly right back to the beginning again (if that makes sense!).
2018-3-9
Use props
MFPullen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6257444 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chasing Light & Shadows Posted at 2018-3-9 12:24

Yeah could have flown this forwards but the most difficult part was the first bit so flew it backwards right at the beginning in case I needed to make multiple attempts and not have to fly right back to the beginning again (if that makes sense!).

Did you have an option turned on that adjusts flight to increasing or decreasing ground level.  Or maybe ground obstacle  senors turned on?
2018-3-9
Use props
MFPullen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6257444 ft
  • >>>
United States

Chasing Light & Shadows Posted at 2018-3-9 12:24

How about the simple explanation you just got crossed up and pulled back on left stick instead of right stick?
2018-3-9
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

MFPullen Posted at 2018-3-9 13:09
How about the simple explanation you just got crossed up and pulled back on left stick instead of right stick?

Nope but getting closer!
2018-3-9
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

I guess you hit an obstacle (maybe a branch) with your left arm or hand while walking backwards and therefore involuntarily pushed the left stick forward. Of course, it requires that you use your RC in Mode 2 for that guess to make sense.

Great pictures nevertheless.
2018-3-9
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

My guess was that being in tripod mode you flew to low to the ground and got the message "landing" .

Happened to me. Had the right stick completely  forward  and got that message . Didn't react quick enough and Mavic made a hard forward landing. No damage.

I did enjoy the video. Thanks for the guessing game.
2018-3-9
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

FlyDK Posted at 2018-3-9 13:45
I guess you hit an obstacle (maybe a branch) with your left arm or hand while walking backwards and therefore involuntarily pushed the left stick forward. Of course, it requires that you use your RC in Mode 2 for that guess to make sense.

Great pictures nevertheless.

Nope! it's something to do with input but not the sticks!
2018-3-9
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-9 14:15
My guess was that being in tripod mode you flew to low to the ground and got the message "landing" .

Happened to me. Had the right stick completely  forward  and got that message . Didn't react quick enough and Mavic made a hard forward landing. No damage.

Nope, not that either and never realised that could happen! I turn off all the landing protection settings so maybe that why it's never happened to me. The guessing game is a good way to learn and gets us all thinking of possible scenarios

It's something really simple but you wouldn't think it's something you could do by accident. The clue is I was concentrating so much and focusing on not hitting branches that I just didn't realise what I was doing to cause the sudden accent!
2018-3-9
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

Chasing Light & Shadows Posted at 2018-3-9 14:19
Nope, not that either and never realised that could happen! I turn off all the landing protection settings so maybe that why it's never happened to me. The guessing game is a good way to learn and gets us all thinking of possible scenarios  

It's something really simple but you wouldn't think it's something you could do by accident. The clue is I was concentrating so much and focusing on not hitting branches that I just didn't realise what I was doing to cause the sudden accent!

You back into something and jerked the sticks??
2018-3-9
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-9 14:34
You back into something and jerked the sticks??

Nope, nothing to do with the sticks, although very easily could have been that as I was walking backwards stepping over branches and keeping an eye on my dog, surprised I didn't fall over.
2018-3-9
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

DOG
That is it. Your dog tried to take it down thinking it was a low flying bird.??  
2018-3-9
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-9 14:45
DOG  
That is it. Your dog tried to take it down thinking it was a low flying bird.??

It wasn't that but the other day she went onto her back legs and tried to sniff its butt as it flew over her!
2018-3-10
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sudden Thermal lift caused by flatulence..... I get the cigar..... I'm right innit.

{for those who haven't tried, fly close to branches and see how violent your bum twitches }
2018-3-10
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

M2Wair Posted at 2018-3-10 03:25
Sudden Thermal lift caused by flatulence..... I get the cigar..... I'm right innit.  

{for those who haven't tried, fly close to branches and see how violent your bum twitches }

haha I think I was clenched to tightly for that to happen!
2018-3-10
Use props
mlamb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140190 ft
United States

Low natty warning initiated a return to home, with the altitude set high?
2018-3-10
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
Puerto Rico

This is a prize-winning thread! SO? Are you gonna tell us?  You've become rather a master of this ("Creeping Smoothly Through Mirkwood with Great Music") technique, so you MUST share ALL the bits and pieces!!!
2018-3-10
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

mlamb Posted at 2018-3-10 05:19
Low natty warning initiated a return to home, with the altitude set high?

Nope! It could have been but fresh battery and happened within the first few minutes of take off. This was 100% user input error.
2018-3-10
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

eddieNoob Posted at 2018-3-10 06:06
This is a prize-winning thread! SO? Are you gonna tell us?  You've become rather a master of this ("Creeping Smoothly Through Mirkwood with Great Music") technique, so you MUST share ALL the bits and pieces!!!

lol yeah definitely gonna tell you! There's literally only one thing left to guess, maybe you all think I'm not stupid enough to have done it lol!
2018-3-10
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
Puerto Rico

Chasing Light & Shadows Posted at 2018-3-10 06:11
lol yeah definitely gonna tell you! There's literally only one thing left to guess, maybe you all think I'm not stupid enough to have done it lol!

FWIW: this post has made my day. The Puzzle™, and.....seven, SEVEN (7) batteries. Damn!  
2018-3-10
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

eddieNoob Posted at 2018-3-10 06:22
FWIW: this post has made my day. The Puzzle™, and.....seven, SEVEN (7) batteries. Damn!

I'm lucky to have 3 batteries, a 3-way charger that I plug into an inverter and a dronemax m10
2018-3-10
Use props
maurom82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143757 ft
Italy

nice video...sorry for the increase of level but happy that nothing was hit
2018-3-10
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

maurom82 Posted at 2018-3-10 06:55
nice video...sorry for the increase of level but happy that nothing was hit

Thanks, luckily I have fast reactions
2018-3-10
Use props
mlamb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140190 ft
United States

Or maybe you were just using the phone and not the controller, hit the 80 meter limit, and then the AC did a RTH?
2018-3-10
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

Chasing Light & Shadows Posted at 2018-3-10 07:04
Thanks, luckily I have fast reactions

Watch the video 5 times now at the point of uplift. Can I ask if you continued to fly or ended here?

Looking for any hint at this point.
2018-3-10
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

You hit the land button on the screen while walking backwards
2018-3-10
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-10 08:03
Watch the video 5 times now at the point of uplift. Can I ask if you continued to fly or ended here?

Looking for any hint at this point.

I continued flying and wandering around the woods for a few more hours looking for compositions. It's an amazing woods to explore.
2018-3-10
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Suren Posted at 2018-3-10 08:13
You hit the land button on the screen while walking backwards

This is the closest answer so far I didn't hit anything on the screen though!
2018-3-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wow, that is an interesting puzzle.
2018-3-10
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

mlamb Posted at 2018-3-10 07:51
Or maybe you were just using the phone and not the controller, hit the 80 meter limit, and then the AC did a RTH?

Nope! But that could have caused it if it was the case. I was using my ipad pro connected to the controller.
2018-3-10
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-10 11:01
Wow, that is an interesting puzzle.

I'm learning lots from this as some of the scenarios you guys are suggesting I have never thought about.
2018-3-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Chasing Light & Shadows Posted at 2018-3-10 11:05
I'm learning lots from this as some of the scenarios you guys are suggesting I have never thought about.

You know curiosity hurts right?
2018-3-10
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-10 11:07
You know curiosity hurts right?

lol but not as much as crashing your drone into a tree! This one was the closest I've come so far to having a pile of broken plastic.
2018-3-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Chasing Light & Shadows Posted at 2018-3-10 11:09
lol but not as much as crashing your drone into a tree! This one was the closest I've come so far to having a pile of broken plastic.

So enlighten us
2018-3-10
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

drum roll please....

Where I was concentrating on line of site with the drone, keeping an eye on my dog, trying not to trip over whilst walking backwards I was clutching the controller and had my finger on the RTH button. I realised what was happening as the return to home initialised and beeped, it took a second to cancel the return to home as it was ascending and luckily there was a couple of metres until the tree canopy. If it had happened just a metre or so sooner then it definitely would have crashed.

So my lesson learnt is to keep my finger away from the return to home button.

Thanks everyone who contributed and played along
2018-3-10
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Chasing Light & Shadows Posted at 2018-3-10 11:24
drum roll please....

Where I was concentrating on line of site with the drone, keeping an eye on my dog, trying not to trip over whilst walking backwards I was clutching the controller and had my finger on the RTH button. I realised what was happening as the return to home initialised and beeped, it took a second to cancel the return to home as it was ascending and luckily there was a couple of metres until the tree canopy. If it had happened just a metre or so sooner then it definitely would have crashed.

Thanks for that.
Now I can go to bed
2018-3-10
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-10 11:32
Thanks for that.
Now I can go to bed

lol sleep well!