Using sport mode??
3425 31 2018-3-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DK Sparky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23255 ft
Denmark

How many is avtually using sport mode? I use my spark  for video mostly, but Ib sport mode it is pretty useless, so was wondering how many uses the sport mode?
2018-3-9
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

I use sport mode every time I fly.  Get to where I want to be fast then switch it off, film, and get back home fast.

Flying anywhere without turning sport mode on is insanely tedious.
2018-3-9
Use props
lelie21
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126867 ft
Switzerland

sometimes I empty a half battery in sport mode after shooting. And during shooting to fastly join another viewpoint.
2018-3-9
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

I notice there's been a few flyaways in Sport mode.  I use it occasionally and notice there is a really dramatic pitch moment if you're at full speed and just release the controls. I wonder if that pitching moment can cause a loss in connection or compass error issue.  RobertWSimpson, when you use Sport mode, do you ease off the pitch when you stop to slow down some and minimize the abruptness...or just release it???
2018-3-9
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

I use Sport in exactly the same way that RobertWSimpson stated above.

Fly fast to where I want to video/photo,   then put back in P-GPS.

Then,  back in Sport mode to get to next location or back to me.

P-GPS is way to slow when just needing to transit to the area of interest.   And, given our machines limited flight time,   Sport mode actually gives us more time-on-target,  rather than wasted in transit.

I've tried filming in Sport.  However, I think that's fairly useless (especially video), as the gimbal is locked in FPV mode and shows every little movement of the aircraft.

Sid
2018-3-9
Use props
Navy 61
lvl.2
Canada

sidtx Posted at 2018-3-9 14:19
I use Sport in exactly the same way that RobertWSimpson stated above.

Fly fast to where I want to video/photo,   then put back in P-GPS.

I tried it for the first time last week-end it's fast to get where you want but I noticed that battery doesn't last as much.  I don't remember if I switched it back but my battery was good for around 8 minutes only. Did you notice the same?
2018-3-9
Use props
SkyBug
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487566 ft
United States

I use it 90% of the time just for the fun factor.
2018-3-9
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

Navy 61 Posted at 2018-3-9 14:34
I tried it for the first time last week-end it's fast to get where you want but I noticed that battery doesn't last as much.  I don't remember if I switched it back but my battery was good for around 8 minutes only. Did you notice the same?

I only used Sport in bursts to get where I wanted to film -- which was a flooding creek/park area near where I live.

I didn't notice any degradation, as I got about 13 total minutes on that flight.    13-14 minutes is about what I typically get per battery.

I've never flown it full time in sport.    I might try that this weekend to see what I get for battery life.   However, having read some threads that seem to correlate high-speed sport while video recording with crashes/fly-aways,     I don't think I'll record video during the run.

If I actually get the time to do the test (if my wife lets me),  I'll report back.

Sid
2018-3-9
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, I think sport mode can practice your skill. But it may increase the risk of accident. Please be careful when you use sport mode. Have a nice flight!
2018-3-9
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
United States

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-3-9 14:10
I notice there's been a few flyaways in Sport mode.  I use it occasionally and notice there is a really dramatic pitch moment if you're at full speed and just release the controls. I wonder if that pitching moment can cause a loss in connection or compass error issue.  RobertWSimpson, when you use Sport mode, do you ease off the pitch when you stop to slow down some and minimize the abruptness...or just release it???

I fly it like I stole it.
2018-3-9
Use props
Ram-UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

I always fly in Sports mode. It’s so much fun. I also fly in normal mode for recording video. Also give me more km per charge LOL.
2018-3-10
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-3-9 14:03
I use sport mode every time I fly.  Get to where I want to be fast then switch it off, film, and get back home fast.

Flying anywhere without turning sport mode on is insanely tedious.

I use Sport Mode on my Spark in a similar fashion.  I also use it when I've got extra battery and just want to play around rather than taking pics or videos.  
2018-3-10
Use props
Ram-UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1132648 ft
United Kingdom

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-3-9 14:10

I usually slow it down before stopping and also tried to fly slowly in Sports mode. So I don’t have to switch between modes for recording video.
2018-3-10
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-3-9 14:03

Flying anywhere without turning sport mode on is insanely tedious.

I was gonna say the exact same thing.
2018-3-10
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
United States

BeastMaster_101 Posted at 2018-3-10 09:51
I was gonna say the exact same thing.

Sooooo slowwww

Sport mode is tolerable though.  Actually, it’s good fun.
2018-3-10
Use props
Rodador
lvl.3
Flight distance : 427520 ft
United States

After reading so many posts about flyaways or crashes in sports mode I am very cautious when I use it.

I'll typically fly around in P-GPS mode then if I have extra battery left I'll bring it in close and zip around in sport mode. It's great for learning better control of the AC and boosting confidence for if/when my Spark decides it wants to go rogue.

When I am flying distances in sport mode I'll try to ease off the controls so it comes to a gradual stop.

And I have insurance on it just-in-case.

Happy Landings!
2018-3-10
Use props
SkyySpyy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 338222 ft
Canada

Sports mode at least on 90% of my flights even if it's just to drain last few mins after my shot. Or jist to quickly get out there!
2018-3-10
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I use it all the time.
Without you can't fly 8km during the battery time ;-)
Also it is quicker to get the Spark somewhere and, more important, to get it back home!
2018-3-10
Use props
The Bash's
lvl.4

United States

Why do 7ish MPH when you can do 30!!!! It intrigues me every time I fly on how technology keeps these things in the air.  At full throttle it still has the responsiveness to turn on a dime and not fall right out of the sky.  As with most of the others that have replied I too use the sport mode to get to where I want to be to film and then the same to get back.  I however, generally always record from the time I take off to the time I land, I wish you could take pictures while you are recording ***Hint hint***  (if anyone is listening)  
2018-3-10
Use props
Langner91
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3474 ft
United States

Great topic!  I am getting my remote control on Wednesday and Sport Mode is obviously one of the benefits to having the RC.  

I can't wait!
2018-3-11
Use props
jimm00re
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1277503 ft
United States

I also use Sport mode every flight. I've never had any concerns about flyaways and don't personally believe that sport mode has anything to do with this issue. Like others have mentioned, I like getting to the desired altitude or spot to get the shot and get back without waiting.
2018-3-11
Use props
frankengels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2273796 ft
Belgium

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-3-10 09:15
I use Sport Mode on my Spark in a similar fashion.  I also use it when I've got extra battery and just want to play around rather than taking pics or videos.

I am used to fly the P3S and Mavic Pro, both a lot faster in P mode, it was really a bit boring flying the Spark for shooting. Even when the obstacle avoidance off. I would even say a bit disappointing.
This week-end I tried your flight style for shooting, and yes it's great.
I agree this is the right way and enjoy now more to fly the Spark for shooting.

Thank you guys
2018-3-12
Use props
Hddeuce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128261 ft
United States

I'm another one that uses Sports Mode every time I fly.  Mainly for fun.  And I don't slow down before stopping, I just let go of the sticks and it stops nicely.
2018-3-12
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

It’s not  Sports Mode that is useless in this case.   I use it as others have said, but also if i’m Flying long and straight I use it to video.  Flying out 500-100m in normal mode is slow and boring to watch back on video as well.
2018-3-12
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sport mode was cool for fun or get back quickly to home starting point. I used this for fun till I've started racer drones there is no more fun with sparky sport mode no flips and bit slow. There is one thing I can fly spark where I wouldn't be that brave to use racer...  
2018-3-12
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I always use it. I first line up and plan my shot. Switch to Sport mode and fly straight with no sharp turns. Here's an example of my video using Sport mode. There was a mile between the first and last Wind Turbine so doing it in "Slow" mode would have taken FOREVER.  
2018-3-12
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Sparks sport mode is a blast. So much fun to be had. I used to do my filming or take my shots and use the last battery to have a blast round. I fly a Vortex150 racing quad too so used to the speed of the thing.
2018-3-13
Use props
EMTDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247933 ft
United States

I only use sport mode when I'm > 100' up in the air.  I find that any lower than that causes WAY too many risks.  I feel it's obviously hard too control at that speed when at lower altitudes and then when you pair that with no obstacle avoidance... I've paid too much for this thing to end up wedged in someone's tree.
2018-3-13
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

EMTDad Posted at 2018-3-13 01:30
I only use sport mode when I'm > 100' up in the air.  I find that any lower than that causes WAY too many risks.  I feel it's obviously hard too control at that speed when at lower altitudes and then when you pair that with no obstacle avoidance... I've paid too much for this thing to end up wedged in someone's tree.

It’s actually very stable so does well in sports mode at low altitude.  Makes for some exciting footage.   As you get more used to it, you can fly lower....just as long as you stay away from people and obstacles.
2018-3-13
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm practicing using it in low flight, 8-10 feet off the ground, over open corn fields.  The rolling terrain gets me focused on gentle stick movements, anticipating the changes.  I NEVER take my eye off it under those circumstances!  As I gain experience, the flights will be lower.
2018-3-13
Use props
djiuser_eaz8wKWRJofo
New

Turkey

I flew my Mavic air on sports mode for a long time and my battery went instantly from 46% to p% and flight record says the battery died to 2.8v then when it landed safely on a sidewalk it raised back up to 3.5v and it was on for 5 mins at 0% and I came to it and it was still flashing and fine, so the battery was saying its 0% even though it still has lots of mah, t
and the leds also indicate it
2022-4-16
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Whenever I fly my Mavic 3, I usually take off in cine or normal mode, but once I’m past any obstacles such as houses or trees then I switch over to sport mode as it’s much quicker to get around.
2022-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules