imu calibration fails error -50
17924 20 2018-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 363661 ft
United States

I haven't used my mavic pro for a while - been sitting in my case. Took it out today and when i turned it on it said I needed to calibrate the IMU. I've tried doing that a dozen times and it always fails saying imu 2 calibration failed error code -50

Any suggestions?
2018-3-10
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Try refreshing your firmware first with assistant 2 then try imu calibrate
2018-3-10
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-3-10 04:05

ok i'll give that a try and let you know how it goes, thanks
2018-3-10
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-3-10 04:05

unfortunately that did not work.
2018-3-10
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

sent it into dji to get repaired
2018-3-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I‘m sorry to read about the issue. Please kindly start a case and send it in for diagnosis. If you need any further assistance, please contact us with your case number, we'd like to help.
2018-3-11
Use props
ARLockstedt
New
Flight distance : 478517 ft

what did dji say was the issue? did u get it fixed?
2018-6-12
Use props
djiuser_DxN9oIxXFlr4
lvl.3
United States

ARLockstedt Posted at 2018-6-12 15:59
what did dji say was the issue? did u get it fixed?

Something broke internally - i had to send it in to get fixed.
2018-6-12
Use props
xoxo35
New
Flight distance : 158310 ft

START CALIBRATION IN HORIZONTAL LOCATION NOT FLAT IF THE TEMPERATURE FAILS, GET STARTED AFTER 10 MINUTES IN THE REFRIGERATOR
2019-9-23
Use props
fanse3e494bf
New
New Zealand

IMU error on phantom 4 also error code -50 and error code 1

tried so many things to make this finally work and wanted to share with everyone how I managed to get it to finally work.

used DJI Assistant 2 to download the latest software (even though I already had the latest installed) it wrote over it with a clean version perhaps? I did a calibration using the VPS calibration in the assistant 2 app on my pc, the calibration worked, but still didnt work on my apple ipad mini screen (for the drone), the controller and the drone were connected to the pc and the app.

finally I took the battery out to let everything cool right down... some time later I restarted the drone, controller, screen etc... and it came up with IMU calibration message.  so I took the advice of the above user and instead of following the pictures I put the drone in other positions to what was on the screen... to my amazement the timeline bar progressed and the calibration worked.

Thank you to everyone out there on different forums, youtube platforms etc.. for lots of suggestions and finally a combination of all of them worked!!  brilliant!!!

I had to put this on here to help anyone else who gets the error message IMU calibration error 50 and IMU error 1, so you can actually fix it yourself

best wishes
2020-3-13
Use props
oscartellongmail.com
New

Spain

Una cosa que me solucionó el problema fué hacer el primer paso de la calibración con el Drone en posición vertical (la cámara hacia arriba). Esto hace que pase el error y siga con la calibración normal. Al final, se requerirá volver al paso inicial y listo.
2020-5-22
Use props
MSteele1690
New
Flight distance : 61407 ft
United States

I'm currently having this  same issue no success in using assistant 2 on pc will not calibrate, flew the drone 2 days ago set it in its case and charged battery, put all together today and no luck anyone have any ideas?
2020-7-4
Use props
droneinventor
New

United States

Had the same problem today: Flew my spark a week or so ago, and then on a search and rescue mission, getting it ready, and it says IMU needs calibration. But it would come up with Error -50, saying it had "automatic orientation failed". I tried to get DJI assistant 2 connected to it, but I could not get it to recognize the Spark. So I tried to test different orientations for the beginning orientation for the IMU cal, and finally one worked -- it was the right side to start on. It then got through all the rest of the calibration successfully. Weird. It somehow thought the flat level start orientation was not what it really was. So the right side started the process, and it successfully finished. So just thought I would share, since if another error like this occurs for someone else, all they have to (hopefully) to is to experiment with different orientations to start the IMU calibration if it says an error. Good luck! Fly safe!
2020-7-23
Use props
RuSchristian
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7310331 ft
  • >>>
Germany

droneinventor Posted at 7-23 16:46
Had the same problem today: Flew my spark a week or so ago, and then on a search and rescue mission, getting it ready, and it says IMU needs calibration. But it would come up with Error -50, saying it had "automatic orientation failed". I tried to get DJI assistant 2 connected to it, but I could not get it to recognize the Spark. So I tried to test different orientations for the beginning orientation for the IMU cal, and finally one worked -- it was the right side to start on. It then got through all the rest of the calibration successfully. Weird. It somehow thought the flat level start orientation was not what it really was. So the right side started the process, and it successfully finished. So just thought I would share, since if another error like this occurs for someone else, all they have to (hopefully) to is to experiment with different orientations to start the IMU calibration if it says an error. Good luck! Fly safe!

I can confirm this solution. Had imu2 error -50 and it would not go past step 1/6 and cancel. Tried multiple batteries and locations. Starting the calibration with the Phantom 4 pro on its right side was the solution. I was able to calibrate another time in normal position. Thanks!
2020-8-5
Use props
djiuser_YURQBf83hrVx
New

United States

droneinventor Posted at 2020-7-23 16:46

I did the same and worked to me too.
2021-1-2
Use props
djiuser_qzxdxZ5kpNE5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 177546 ft
United States

Had the same problem today: Flew my spark a week or so ago, and then on a search and rescue mission, getting it ready, and it says IMU needs calibration. But it would come up with Error -50, saying it had "automatic orientation failed". I tried to get DJI assistant 2 connected to it, but I could not get it to recognize the Spark. So I tried to test different orientations for the beginning orientation for the IMU cal, and finally one worked -- it was the right side to start on. It then got through all the rest of the calibration successfully. Weird. It somehow thought the flat level start orientation was not what it really was. So the right side started the process, and it successfully finished. So just thought I would share, since if another error like this occurs for someone else, all they have to (hopefully) to is to experiment with different orientations to start the IMU calibration if it says an error. Good luck! Fly safe!

BTW.....This fix still works on a Mavic Pro in 2021.  This happened to me on my Christmas trip to Hawaii and couldn't fly the whole time I was there.  Found this sweet nugget and gave it a try.  Sure enough starting on the right side was the sweet spot.  After finishing the calibration, I calibrated again in the normal start position and no problems.  Thanks for this one, you are a drone saver!!!
2021-1-8
Use props
Gustavo Adolfo Ribas
New

Brazil

It worked starting lying flat on the right, only after a second attempt and after restarting everything.
Thanks for the tip !!!
2021-2-16
Use props
Giamanut
lvl.2
United States

Had the same problem today: Flew my spark a week or so ago, and then on a search and rescue mission, getting it ready, and it says IMU needs calibration. But it would come up with Error -50, saying it had "automatic orientation failed". I tried to get DJI assistant 2 connected to it, but I could not get it to recognize the Spark. So I tried to test different orientations for the beginning orientation for the IMU cal, and finally one worked -- it was the right side to start on. It then got through all the rest of the calibration successfully. Weird. It somehow thought the flat level start orientation was not what it really was. So the right side started the process, and it successfully finished. So just thought I would share, since if another error like this occurs for someone else, all they have to (hopefully) to is to experiment with different orientations to start the IMU calibration if it says an error. Good luck! Fly safe!

Absolutely work starting it on the right side!
Laid it over on the right side restated the aircraft and what do you know MONEY!
2022-1-24
Use props
Giamanut
lvl.2
United States

Giamanut Posted at 1-24 09:13
Absolutely work starting it on the right side!
Laid it over on the right side restated the aircraft and what do you know MONEY!

Not doing both at the same time yet
2022-1-24
Use props
jwl20
New

United States

This worked for me too! Saved my TIME and MONEY! Thank you!!!!
2022-3-20
Use props
Mr Darren
New
Flight distance : 64813 ft
United Kingdom

I can also confirm that this worked, although for me to get it to work i had to do it on the left hand side.................made losing 3 hours of my life worth it
2022-5-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules