Samsung Tab 4 experts, please help!
2300 12 2015-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Muleshoe2
lvl.2

United States

I bought a Tab 4. I downloaded the Pilot app from Play Store. It wasn't correct (Inspire info only, no editor, no simulator etc... Map was only thing that worked).

I deleted it and pulled up the non-mobile dji site to get the straight dji download.

When I hit the download button, one of two things happens: 1) a little box that says "Starting Download" pops up and disappears and nothing ever downloads, or 2) a dialog box which gives the options of Open or Open in a new Window or Save URL or a couple of other things pops up. If I hit "Open," the "Starting Download" box appears for two or three seconds but nothing ever downloads.

It has never given me a box that shows download progress or anything like that.

I downloaded the Weather Channel app from the Play Store and it works fine.

Is there anything you know of in the Tab "settings" which would prevent an app downloading from a website?

I continue to confess my lack of tech-savviness, but this seems pretty straight forward to me. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

2015-5-4
Use props
cascadeflyer
lvl.2

United States

Go into settings/security/ and enable unknown sources (allow install of apps from other than play store) It will work then! Pretty sure you can disable it once your up and running if it makes ya feel safer.
2015-5-4
Use props
Muleshoe2
lvl.2

United States

Thank you so very much! I'm on my way to give it a shot!
2015-5-4
Use props
cascadeflyer
lvl.2

United States

No problem good luck!
2015-5-4
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

I have the Samsung Tab 4 7" and there are three things you have to do to get your tablet ready to fly:

1) Get your tablet ready to download from an outside source.
Settings > General > Security > check "Unknown Sources" under "Device Administration"
Now you can download the app from the DJI website.

2) You have to enable USB Debugging so that you can plug the tablet into your controller.
Settings > General > About device > tap "Build number" 7 times > Developer options > check "USB debugging" under "Debugging"

3) Get the maps ready in high resolution so that you can fly without WiFi and preferably on airplane mode.
pen DJI Pilot app > Camera > tap the map in the bottom right to make it primary > tap the "Topography" icon (third over on the top right that looks like 3 planes on top of each other) and tap "Hybrid" > scroll on the map to where you are going to be flying > zoom right in and swipe around to download the whole area in the best resolution
Doing this saves the map to your device for when you are out in the field.
2015-5-5
Use props
DeadWood
lvl.2

United States

Thank you
2015-5-5
Use props
Jim.young04
lvl.2

United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-5 20:56
I have the Samsung Tab 4 7" and there are three things you have to do to get your tablet ready to fl ...

cacc, would you have any clue why the dji pilot app would crash my tab 4 after connecting the drone? I am on android 4.4.2 with the newer dji pilot 1.1.0. this happens both before and after the firmware update. basically all looks good and right before im about to turn the motors on the app freezes and the tablet crashes and restarts, beginning what is called the "boot loop"
2015-5-5
Use props
Muleshoe2
lvl.2

United States

Cascade, thank you. Downloaded like a charm. Times a couple dozen!! Haha. It was pretty late here when it downloaded and I installed it and went to bed. Apparently it continued downloading the app for every time I had tried unsuccessfully over the last three days.

Now I have 20 or so downloads taking up space in my memory with no way (that I can find) to delete them.

cacc, excellent information. I'm really at a loss to understand how newbies are supposed to figure out that kind of information. I owe you a couple of beers buddy, thanks!
2015-5-5
Use props
Cacc
lvl.3

Canada

Jim.young04@gma Posted at 2015-5-6 01:12
cacc, would you have any clue why the dji pilot app would crash my tab 4 after connecting the dron ...

Jim.young04, I am not having a similar issue, so I don't know for sure what would solve the problem. My install process was a little different, so maybe try uninstalling the DJI Pilot software. The way I did it that worked was I first installed the DJI Pilot app from the Play Store, opened it up, played around a bit (basically opening every tab and window I could find just to see what the app could do. Then downloaded the one from the DJI.com website to upgrade to the latest version instead of it being the first version installed. This worked for me, but this tablet is also one that I don't use very much so it is possible that you might need a factory reset for it to work if the above does not.

Muleshoe2, the problem is that newbies can't figure it out which is why this forum has to exist. When DJI tests everything, they test it on vanilla devices and very few of them at that. So they need us for real-world testing and don't take into account that not everyone that wants to fly is an expert when it comes to this kind of thing. Odds are you guys can fly me under the table, but the troubleshooting side is where I personally excel. Now get up there and get some great shots! That is all I need in compensation!
2015-5-5
Use props
Jim.young04
lvl.2

United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-6 02:22
Jim.young04, I am not having a similar issue, so I don't know for sure what would solve the proble ...

Thanks Cacc, I actually just went and replaced my previously open box version for a brand new one for only a dollar more. Because you and others have confirmed the tab 4 working just fine I think this should solve the problem. I'll see in about 5 hours.
2015-5-5
Use props
FlyingSquirrel
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17141325 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just in case... I lost video with the last upgrade. It turns out you have to dl the app from the download page - it will be the latest not the google play one! I put the 1.1.0 version on a microsd and installed over the old version from there an presto! I have video and all seems to be working ok. I will test fly shortly and update status!
2015-5-8
Use props
myhondas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12100 ft
United States

Thanks for all the info
2015-6-4
Use props
mana.ram.1974
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1528688 ft
United States

Cacc Posted at 2015-5-5 11:22
Jim.young04, I am not having a similar issue, so I don't know for sure what would solve the proble ...

I am up to date with the updates for my p3a and my Samsung Tab4 model SM-T230NU.
my video feed on the tab4 is sooo chopy but if I use my phone Samsung s5 the video feed is perfect, would you know where I can look at in the p3a or the tab4?
Thanks.
2015-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules