Shutter Priority available in Inspire 1, lacking Phantom 3?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

Dear DJI

Can anyone explain if this is an error or why this rather banal function (Shutter Priority) of the camera/DJI Pilot App would be available in the Inspire 1 but not the Phantom 3 Professional? And is this only with regards to the SDK/third party apps? Is this function not available in the DJI Pilot App - for both Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 Professional?

http://dev.dji.com/news/news#t7

Thanks a lot! Looking forward to getting some wind under my new propellers

-
Buy your DJI-gear, batteries, cases by using this link - it'll help me out

Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 09.05.01.png
2015-5-4
Use props
pishposh
lvl.1

United States

They've got to maintain the Inspire's value somehow I guess
2015-5-4
Use props
coreynach
lvl.2
Flight distance : 208589 ft
United States

Yeah... i like you would love Shutter priority on the P3... but businesses do make money by only allowing certain features in certain level products.
2015-5-4
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I was of the impression that a function like Shutter Priority was already in the DJI Pilot app. But I assume that was a wrong assumption? These are all potential functions that are not currently in the DJI Pilot app, but could be implemented in a third party app via the SDK?

I hear what you're saying pishposh and coreynach. Still, it makes very little sense to exclude such function from the SDK for the P3Pro. There is no REAL argument - as it is likely more work for DJI to specifically exclude it since the architecture is (AFAIK) the same as the Inspire 1.

It would be nice to hear from DJI. But I guess it might all also be subject to change in the future?

One last thing; is it to be understood, from looking at that overview of the SDK-possibilities, that the P3Advanced is excluded from using "third party SDK apps" (if that is the proper term)?
2015-5-5
Use props
DJI SDK Support
lvl.3
Hong Kong

Everybody, P3 don't have the shutter priority mode.
2015-5-5
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

I have no conjecture and the real is there is no Shutter Priority for P3 pro now.
2015-5-5
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11286 ft
  • >>>
United States

I knew there was a reason I paid the extra $$$ on the inspire...  
2015-5-5
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

FoxSTI Posted at 2015-5-6 01:12
I knew there was a reason I play the extra $$$ on the inspire...

I hear that people just buy the Inspire to "look cool" in front of clients?

Sadly I'm not kidding.
Fact is, the Inspire is an awesome piece of kit. However, right now, the P3Pro beats the Inspire on value for money and portability.

2015-5-5
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Well, I can't disagree with you too much. while the inspire is great and flies amazingly well the P3 has one major advantage at least for me; and that is portability.
I don't really care too much about the looks of the inspire. Its rather intimidating to people lol.
2015-5-5
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

FoxSTI Posted at 2015-5-6 03:20
Well, I can't disagree with you too much. while the inspire is great and flies amazingly well the P3 ...

It is a definite drawback that the Inspire 1 literally is quite a bit more dangerous than a Phantom.
2015-5-5
Use props
pishposh
lvl.1

United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-6 01:47
I hear that people just buy the Inspire to "look cool" in front of clients?  

Sadly I'm not kidd ...

The Inspire does look more professional though.  Just my honest opinion.  Sometimes it is worth spending a bit extra for the professional image you will portray to your clients.  It is tough though, at just about double the price, if the added image along with the few extra pros that the Inspire has is worth it.
2015-5-5
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

pishposh Posted at 2015-5-6 06:42
The Inspire does look more professional though.  Just my honest opinion.  Sometimes it is worth sp ...

I agree.

Buying a big black plastic transportation case probably gets you far in that department

Frankly, it might also be the case that some discerning clients might need to see something like an eight engine S1000 monster equipped with a DSLR or Black Magic camera or whatever.

The right tool for the job. I think you can get a long way with what we have in our hands right now. Naturally you can't do everything, far from it. But we can do a fair amount.
2015-5-5
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-6 04:03
It is a definite drawback that the Inspire 1 literally is quite a bit more dangerous than a Phanto ...

I think that happens is that the "phantom" form factor is very popular and to an extend many people have been desensitized. The phantom even appeared in south park from what I read online.

So that regard, and octo, or 10 blade, or S900 are not very common among the public and neither if an inspire. Its like when I had my bebop. It seemed harmless, whereas even I was scared to fly the larger, noisier, heavier and louder inspire.

I dont want to get this thread out of line, but to an extend the inspire looks more "pro" / maybe even more expensive / exotic. But to the P3's aid, they both share a very professional purpose built controller. And I think the key is those last two words "purpose built".

I love my inspire, but I am really contemplating getting a P3.
On one last note, image is everything when doing business. If you show up with a "toy looking" or "home bred" UAV to a clients site they may start questioning your deliverable. Unfortunately thats how something are sometimes.
2015-5-5
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

FantomDK:  Do you have P3? I want to ask you something directly.
2015-5-5
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

FoxSTI Posted at 2015-5-6 08:54
FantomDK:  Do you have P3? I want to ask you something directly.

I have a Phantom3Pro, yep. Got it yesterday, first two flights today so far.

Shoot.
2015-5-6
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I want to know:

1- How upwards can you tilt the camera
2- Does it tilt 90deg down (is it true 90deg).
3- When looking forward with the camera to you see props?
4- Can you share a jpg photo taken with you your P3 to compare geo tagging? (I would give you my e-mail)

What are your thoughts on it overall?
2015-5-6
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

FoxSTI Posted at 2015-5-6 21:57
I want to know:

1- How upwards can you tilt the camera

Ad. 1+2
Yes. Check the specs: Pitch -90° to +30°
So you can look straight down (but sadly not a bit "backwards" even though the gimbal can move further - to ensure you can still point the camera at those angles even if the is tilted in the air).

Ad. 3
If you point the camera up to see more sky than ground, you will eventually see props and even arms. If you look straight forward (50% sky, 50% ground) you will see props IF you are moving forward fast (if the quadcopter is tilting forward) This obviously happens faster if you point the camera upwards. There are tricks though. You can fly backwards, thereby tilting the props away from the camera.

Ad. 4
What are your concerns with the geotagging? Photos are geotagged (as precise as the GPS-location would happen to be when snapping the photo), including altitude. It works as expected I would say.

The Phantom 3 Professional is an awesome piece of equipment. It is a significant upgrade from the Phantom 2 Vision+. Everything is better. It is almost like an iPhone 6 vs an iPhone 3G. It does the same job and largely looks the same, but it does it a lot better.

So far I'm a bit annoyed with the gimbal that too often is not perfectly level as expected. It is very stable - but often with an annoying tilted horizon.

It wouldn't hurt that the camera was higher resolution. But it takes very nice photos - especially if snapped in Adobe DNG raw and then corrected in something like Adobe Lightroom. That war you can also make some pretty awesome panoramas and even HDR-images for stunning dynamic range. I wish it came with ND-filters (or a factory-way of attaching them). The camera can always be better - but for what it is, it is very good and it is impressive to be able to produce very nice looking video and images. You can always wish for even more functions. But it is a HUGE step forward from the earlier iteration (P2V+). The low-lag 720p HD stream is very nice.

In a way it is a bit boring that it looks so much like the earlier Phantoms. It is an iconic design - but honestly not as fancy-looking as the sleek 3DR Solo. The P3Pro is however very nice build-quality, they really take care and pride in the product. The white plastic on the quadcopter is a velvet-like matte finish. The Remote Control is a huge improvement too and good build-quality with soft grippy material where you hold it.

A huge wish for the future - if technically possible - would be to make these things a lot less noisy. The noise is potentially a huge problem. People can potentially easily get annoyed by the noise in quiet neighborhoods or in public places. Sadly it isn't easy pushing air without pushing sound. But it should be a focus for development.

I could go on. But I think you get the picture. You should get a Phantom 3 :-)

I wouldn't hold it against you if you used this link to buy (just testing DJIs affiliate-program)
Link to the Phantom 3 Professional

2015-5-6
Use props
FoxSTI
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks, good review.

"What are your concerns with the geotagging? Photos are geotagged (as precise as the GPS-location would happen to be when snapping the photo), including altitude. It works as expected I would say."

Someone said they P3 does a better job at geo tagging when compered to the inspire.
2015-5-6
Use props
duplisak.m
New

Slovenia

Hey

I am an owner of P3. I also have the issue with shutter speed.

Before this new update I somehow managed to have a shutter priority function in manual mode. Meaning the ISO was fixed but the shutter speed did change automaticly.

Now I can not seem to do that now. Could anyone explain me that.

I know about AUTO mode where you can only change EV and AE lock mode. In MANUAL you can change ISO and SHUTTER. I was filming 3 music videos in the city and with the previous version update i had the shutter speed changin automaticly whilst ISO was 100 at all times.

I know DJI wants this "shutter priority " function in high end drones ( INSPIRE 1) but how could I had that before. It would be nice to have that back

Or did I miss something.
2015-8-4
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

duplisak.m@gmai Posted at 2015-8-5 03:57
Hey

I am an owner of P3. I also have the issue with shutter speed.

What you are describing isn't truly shutter priority in the typical photographic sense.

A camera with an adjustable aperture in shutter priority modifies the aperture to allow the same amount of light in without under or over rating the ISO sensivity.

What's needed is a neutral density filter to block some of the light to allow for less light to hit the sensor plane. Blocking some of the light to hit the sensor plane doesn't add noise to the image like modifying the ISO.

I've seen the limitations of this system and will be moving on to a DSLR camera and another vehicle.
2015-8-4
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

This is true, there is no shutter priority at all in the inspire. Shutter priority is when you choose the aperture and the camera choose the shutterspeed. Both inspire and P3 have the lens fully opnend without an aperture, its fixed to F2.8. You can choose shutterpeed and ISO, nothing more on both Inspire and P3. I dont know what the so called shutter priority function do in the inspire but the fact is there is no aperture oin both cameras and you can still set your shutterpeed manually in the app and your ISO on both Inspire and P3. You just set your ISO to 100 all the time when you flying in daylight and your shutterspeed to 1/60 for 30fps material. If you get overexposed video you have to use the correct ND filter for that like ND4, ND8, ND16 ...
2015-8-4
Use props
duplisak.m
New

Slovenia

I remember that onyl my shutter speed was changin. ISO stayed at 100. I still do not know what settings were choses. I have looked at my video when I filmed camera facing forward ( the exposure was OK, no blown out white areas). Than i tilted m,y camera down and the settings changed ( shutter speed ) but my picture did not change ( no diming or compesanting for exposure ).

Very weird. The video looked OK.
2015-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules