Mavic Pro Ate My MicroSDCard
1494 22 2018-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
daisy-girl
lvl.2
United States

Does retrieval require sending it to DJI, or can I retrieve it myself by removing the bottom screws?

Will removing the bottom screws void the warranty/DJI Care/Refresh?

If I send it in, will I get the same aircraft back?

UPDATE 3/13@1841: DJI has accepted it for repair and agreed to return the one and the same AC with the same serial #.
2018-3-11
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

1st i have seen this question asked or maybe the title was more noticeable lol.

So no way to grab it with some tweezers or similar?

Is the spring broken? Can you tell us a little more about it?

The questions are for someone else but if it was mine i would get it out myself so i can make sure i have the same AC.
2018-3-11
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

Ok.. got my curiosity going with this one...  
2018-3-11
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
United States

I'm gonna take a chance here...  Just in case..
1.   Open the flap giving you access to the SD card compartment
2.   With your thumbnail or tweezers, GENTLY push in on the edge of the card.  
3.   The card will release and come out just a bit.
4.   GENTLY pull the card out.  

Once the card is out, you can insert it into a card reader on any computer and copy the files over to your computer.  To Reinsert the card...
1.   Open the Flap giving you access to the compartment.
2.   Insert the card, CONTACTS FACING UP.  
3.   Gently push in on the card until it locks in place.  
4.   Close and secure the flap.  

All steps are to be done with the Aircraft powered off.  Please.  
2018-3-11
Use props
daisy-girl
lvl.2
United States

rolling56 Posted at 2018-3-11 10:49
1st i have seen this question asked or maybe the title was more noticeable lol.

So no way to grab it with some tweezers or similar?

"So no way to grab it with some tweezers or similar?  Is the spring broken? Can you tell us a little more about it?"

No way to grab it as it cannot be seen. It appears to have gone in above the proper channel, which means there is no spring action.

I'm not going to elect express repair as it is a spare aircraft, and I am in no rush to get it back -- not if that means they will send me a different aircraft, as this one is otherwise perfect.

2018-3-11
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
United States

Ouch....  Don't get upset when I ask, but are you sure that the card is in there?  It's just that I've never heard of one popping out of the track.  If the card is in there, about the only way to get to it is to disassemble the MP.  I wouldn't think that this would do the warranty any good.  But either way, after looking at some pictures, I can't see any other way to retrieve it.  If the drive is faulty, then the SD reader needs to be replaced.  And since it's mounted on the Motherboard, then that means replacing the mother board.  
As for if you send it in, will you get the same one back, I have NO idea about that.  Sorry..  Wish I could help more.  
2018-3-11
Use props
daisy-girl
lvl.2
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-3-11 12:33
Ouch....  Don't get upset when I ask, but are you sure that the card is in there?  It's just that I've never heard of one popping out of the track.  If the card is in there, about the only way to get to it is to disassemble the MP.  I wouldn't think that this would do the warranty any good.  But either way, after looking at some pictures, I can't see any other way to retrieve it.  If the drive is faulty, then the SD reader needs to be replaced.  And since it's mounted on the Motherboard, then that means replacing the mother board.  
As for if you send it in, will you get the same one back, I have NO idea about that.  Sorry..  Wish I could help more.

"If the drive is faulty, then the SD reader needs to be replaced.  And since it's mounted on the Motherboard, then that means replacing the mother board.

Whoa! I was not aware of that until now. Thanks for that information.

"As for if you send it in, will you get the same one back, I have NO idea about that."

It's my backup drone, which means I am not in a rush to get it back, so I am not going to agree to express repair/replacement. What this should mean is that I get the same aircraft back.

"Sorry..  Wish I could help more."

You've been very helpful. Thanks!

2018-3-11
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

in order to get the sd card out you must first push it in. there is a spring mechanism inside. Push the sd card softly into the body and then let go and it should pop out a little way - then use fingers or tweesers to pull it out completely. unless you inseted the card upside down then maybe it is stuck - this would make sense. opening the screws will void your warentee so preferabley do not do that.
2018-3-11
Use props
FredAstra
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595577 ft
United Kingdom

I had a similar problem last year. with my P4.  I was on holiday in Mexico and had forgotten to take a spare SD card, so I bought 2 Kingston SD cards from the hotel shop.  When I first inserted the KIngston SD card it appeared to be stuck as if the spring mechanism had broken :-(  At first it seemed as though it wouldn't budge, but eventually I was able to remove it using my wife's eyebrow tweezers.  Fortunately the spring  mechanism was OK.  The next day I used the 2nd Kingston SD and it again took the tweezers to remove it.   Wont be using Kingston SD cards again.  Even though the Kingston cards were very difficult to remove they did record the video OK and no permanent damage was done.
2018-3-11
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I would be first of all interested to learn how you managed to achieve this result? Secondly I fail to unterstand why users would regularly put their SD cards in and out again? File transfer via cable directly from the AC to a Laptop or computer (or even a mobile device) is so much more convenient. And no risk to damage anything or getting eaten up...
2018-3-11
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-11 13:54
I would be first of all interested to learn how you managed to achieve this result? Secondly I fail to unterstand why users would regularly put their SD cards in and out again? File transfer via cable directly from the AC to a Laptop or computer (or even a mobile device) is so much more convenient. And no risk to damage anything or getting eaten up...

You are correct that this is somewhat unexpected. On the other hand - I always copy my footage from the SD via the laptop's card reader slot. It's much faster and more user-friendly (in my opinion). I don't see any probable damage to the card or the slot on the Mavic. Just my 2 cents
2018-3-11
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
United States

I remove the SD card on my MP for the simple reason to me, it's simpler and quicker than leaving it in the MP.  

If I unload from the MP, I gotta uncover the gimble, unlock the gimble, connect the usb cable, power up the MP and then copy the information over.  

OR

I could pop the card out, pop it into my reader on my desk and copy the information to my hard drive.  Same as I do with my 3 GoPro Cameras.  The same as I do for my Canon digital Camera.  The same as I do with my Wife's Nikon camera.  Been doing it that way for >10 years and I've never had a problem with any of the cards or readers.  
2018-3-11
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I have  a question .

Can you see the SD card in the slot?

My friend said his was stuck but we found out later(we are  old guys) That it popped out so fast that he missed the action and thought it was still in the drone somewhere.
2018-3-11
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-11 14:44
I have  a question .

Ha ha ha senior moment.... we all have them.
2018-3-11
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-3-11 15:34
Ha ha ha senior moment.... we all have them.

AMEN!!!  LOL
2018-3-11
Use props
RBMTS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169718 ft
United States

I had the exact same problem with my Mavic Pro.  I was using a 128GB card.  The end of the card had a raised ridge on it that was causing it to be jammed in the slot.  It would not pop out on its own. It was almost impossible to get out.  What I did was find some long nose tweezers.  I was able to grab the side edges of the card in the slot (not the top/bottom of the card).  I was able to finally rock it out of the slot (after about 5 minutes of frustration).  I then filed down the top and bottom edge of the card to eliminate the raised ridge.  Once sanded down making it flush with the rest of the card surface, the card would go into and pop out of the card slot with ease.   Maybe this will help you.
2018-3-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

FredAstra Posted at 2018-3-11 13:23
I had a similar problem last year. with my P4.  I was on holiday in Mexico and had forgotten to take a spare SD card, so I bought 2 Kingston SD cards from the hotel shop.  When I first inserted the KIngston SD card it appeared to be stuck as if the spring mechanism had broken :-(  At first it seemed as though it wouldn't budge, but eventually I was able to remove it using my wife's eyebrow tweezers.  Fortunately the spring  mechanism was OK.  The next day I used the 2nd Kingston SD and it again took the tweezers to remove it.   Wont be using Kingston SD cards again.  Even though the Kingston cards were very difficult to remove they did record the video OK and no permanent damage was done.

"I bought 2 Kingston SD cards from the hotel shop."

To be fair to Kingston, those might have been Knock-Offs.  Even at reputable online sellers, some Knock-Offs SD cards have been encountered.
2018-3-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

RBMTS Posted at 2018-3-11 15:52
I had the exact same problem with my Mavic Pro.  I was using a 128GB card.  The end of the card had a raised ridge on it that was causing it to be jammed in the slot.  It would not pop out on its own. It was almost impossible to get out.  What I did was find some long nose tweezers.  I was able to grab the side edges of the card in the slot (not the top/bottom of the card).  I was able to finally rock it out of the slot (after about 5 minutes of frustration).  I then filed down the top and bottom edge of the card to eliminate the raised ridge.  Once sanded down making it flush with the rest of the card surface, the card would go into and pop out of the card slot with ease.   Maybe this will help you.

"What I did was find some long nose tweezers."

When you can't get tweezers on a small item or part.  You may be able to use thin wire with tiny drop of glue on end of wire or (side of bent wire to provide more surface area).
2018-3-11
Use props
daisy-girl
lvl.2
United States

"I would be first of all interested to learn how you managed to achieve this result?"

Your next sentence provides the answer.

"Secondly I fail to unterstand why users would regularly put their SD cards in and out again? File transfer via cable directly from the AC to a Laptop or computer (or even a mobile device) is so much more convenient. And no risk to damage anything or getting eaten up..."

If the MicroSD Card is played via a USB Card Reader in one of my computer's USB ports, I can play it back on my HDTV without glitches and decide whether I wish to keep the content BEFORE spending time to save it to my computer, only to delete it later.
2018-3-11
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

daisy-girl Posted at 2018-3-11 16:41
"I would be first of all interested to learn how you managed to achieve this result?"

That is an advanage of course.
2018-3-11
Use props
Brad Bilger
lvl.4

daisy-girl Posted at 2018-3-11 16:41

You still have our curiosity going.  What was the final outcome?  Was it stuck inside?  Send it to Service?  Inquiring minds want to know???  LOL
2018-3-23
Use props
IceBox-Murdock
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43845 ft
  • >>>
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-11 14:44
I have  a question .

I cannot stop laughing
2018-3-23
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Brad Bilger Posted at 2018-3-23 07:48
You still have our curiosity going.  What was the final outcome?  Was it stuck inside?  Send it to Service?  Inquiring minds want to know???  LOL

I guess we will never know lol
2018-3-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules