United States

Not looking forward to that!
2018-3-11
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Thank you for posting that.  It is VERY informative.  Not the damage so much, but the way the battery and board are laid out in the housing, and the PC board.  On the board, you can easily pick out the LEDs and power button, the cell balancing lines, main high current lines, etc.  

As for the damage, it is obviously extensive.  I am going to guess that this battery was in the salt water for the mentioned 5 minutes or more, but no immediate steps taken to minimize the damage once it was recovered.  Chances are, damage would have happened anyway, since it was salt water, but it may not have been as extensive.  I'm pretty sure I have read of some that were dumped into salt water and survived, but they were recovered quickly and taken care of.  Fresh water dunking are well documented in this forum and are not rare.
2018-3-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That looks bad....
2018-3-11
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 670823 ft
  • >>>
Norway

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-3-11 13:18
Thank you for posting that.  It is VERY informative.  Not the damage so much, but the way the battery and board are laid out in the housing, and the PC board.  On the board, you can easily pick out the LEDs and power button, the cell balancing lines, main high current lines, etc.  

As for the damage, it is obviously extensive.  I am going to guess that this battery was in the salt water for the mentioned 5 minutes or more, but no immediate steps taken to minimize the damage once it was recovered.  Chances are, damage would have happened anyway, since it was salt water, but it may not have been as extensive.  I'm pretty sure I have read of some that were dumped into salt water and survived, but they were recovered quickly and taken care of.  Fresh water dunking are well documented in this forum and are not rare.

After about 45 minutes I placed everything, including the battery in distilled water but the battery was already making sounds and heating up after a quick bath of salt water.

The drone does not seem as bad inside, but I am still drying it.
2018-3-11
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

After you dry out the drone my advise is to get acetone and give all electrical parts and connections a good cleaning. Any moisture will cause corrosion, even if you can't see it at first.
If the Drone does come back to life and is flyable my last step would be to coat the boards with a clear coat.

For that battery, you are lucky that it didn't go "Boom"

Good luck with the cleaning.
2018-3-11
Use props
TPVAerials
lvl.3

United States

Seems wild that in 5 minutes, water seeped into every nook & cranny of that battery & caused that damage...hope the drone is still flyable!
2018-3-11
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

Wow I always wondered what the inside looks like. Hope your drone survived.
2018-3-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-11 14:27
After you dry out the drone my advise is to get acetone and give all electrical parts and connections a good cleaning. Any moisture will cause corrosion, even if you can't see it at first.
If the Drone does come back to life and is flyable my last step would be to coat the boards with a clear coat.

I would be very careful with Acetone.  I have seen it eat up plastic, and once start working on a circuit board.

In case of beer, coke, coffee soaked electronics, best way I have found to clean them is with repeated rinsing with regular water, then distilled water.  Followed by blow drying.  
Lastly drying by low heat source, like 20-degrees warmer than surrounding air.
2018-3-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

"If the Drone does come back to life and is flyable my last step would be to coat the boards with a clear coat."

After seeing above pictured battery damage, and fact battery got hot.  

DJI should seal internal battery packs, and clear coat all internal circuit boards.
Even without a dip in ocean or lake, or accidental drenching from pool splashes, there is always sudden rain.
2018-3-13
Use props
Brendan1
lvl.2

United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-11 14:27

Be careful with the acetone, as it may melt the plastic. It would be better to get a good electrical contact cleaner. Hope you getting it flying again.
2018-3-13
Use props
V_kingo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310157 ft
Chile

Is better to use isopropyl alcohol to clean up.
2018-3-13
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

Don't use acetone. It will melt the plastic.
Rinse with lots of fresh water making sure you get a good blast under the IC's then rinse with distilled, then isopropyl alcahol. Blow dry the boards with compressed air(and probably repeat the wash rinse process) then as others have mentioned dry in a warm place. Even a hot air gun(if the boards are removed from the housing) will be good to use, but be sensible about it as it can get hot enough to melt the solder. You will need to get the moisture out of the actual board.

Good luck with it.

I don't know why DJI don't use a conformal coating on their circuit boards. They make a really good product, but forget to finish it!
2018-3-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14312858 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lipo's and water, especially sea water, do not mix! Thanks for posting.
2018-3-13
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Mavdude Posted at 2018-3-13 22:43
Don't use acetone. It will melt the plastic.
Rinse with lots of fresh water making sure you get a good blast under the IC's then rinse with distilled, then isopropyl alcahol. Blow dry the boards with compressed air(and probably repeat the wash rinse process) then as others have mentioned dry in a warm place. Even a hot air gun(if the boards are removed from the housing) will be good to use, but be sensible about it as it can get hot enough to melt the solder. You will need to get the moisture out of the actual board.

With all the  answers "don't you acetone" . They are right about it can melt plastic. I don't believe any circuits boards are made of plastic. Some of the cheaper components are made from a type of plastic  but acetone has such a fast evaporation cycle it should not affect them if you are careful.
I worked in the Avionics field for 30 years and acetone was the preferred cleaning agent for us. In the early years we used Toluene which cleaned 100% better but turned out to be to harmful to people.
Alcohol works well if there is not much corrosion or contamination.
Of course the problem could of been avoided to some extent if the boards were coated with some sort of protective coating.
The acetone use was only my recommendation. What ever you decide to use, do it with caution and be safe.

2018-3-14
Use props
dwainwayne28
lvl.4
Flight distance : 583323 ft
Trinidad and Tobago

Thanks for sharing... electronics and water dont mix
2018-3-14
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

yikes - thanks for posting - interesting to see. did your battery cells swell up too or are they ok, hope you resurrect your drone
2018-3-14
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

i've posted this before,  but this is an amazing video of a Mavic that spent a week underwater -- and lived!

It wasn't salt water, but still an amazing story.

2018-3-14
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

Ouch that hurts! What happened?
2018-3-15
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I'm surprised that folks were trying to figure a way to save that battery.  Even if it appeared to be successful, I'd be afraid to use it versus just buying a new one.  I assume the battery was in the quad when it happened and not just dropped in by itself?  
2018-3-15
Use props
eried
Second Officer
Flight distance : 670823 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-3-14 09:02
yikes - thanks for posting - interesting to see. did your battery cells swell up too or are they ok, hope you resurrect your drone

The cells are OK. That is the only part in the whole drone who suffered.
I am thinking on maybe using the cells for a diy usb powerbank
2018-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules