Compass heading wrong on iPad Air 2
1203 8 2018-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Artur Macau
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256549 ft
Macao

Hi, yesterday i was testing my Spark with a iPad Air 2, wifi only, and i noticed that the heading in the compass in the DJI Go 4 app wasnt the same as the Spark.

This pic was taken indoors, but the same happened outdoors, if i use my iphone, the heading matches where the drone is pointing.

Im not sure if u guys can see the arrow pointing to the right and the spark nose is straight forward.
I tried calibrating the compass, but always same result ...

IMG_4901.JPG
2018-3-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. The arrow represents the heading of the device. Please try to change the position of the IPad and see if the position of the arrow changes.
2018-3-12
Use props
Artur Macau
lvl.3
Macao

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-12 00:10
Hi, there. The arrow represents the heading of the device. Please try to change the position of the IPad and see if the position of the arrow changes.

Oh i never though of that, its because the iPad its in landscape, so with tablets it will always display the heading wrong because everyone position it in landscape, ill see if in the other orientation to the other side solves the problem

Thanks a  lot Elektra
2018-3-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Artur Macau Posted at 2018-3-12 01:03
Oh i never though of that, its because the iPad its in landscape, so with tablets it will always display the heading wrong because everyone position it in landscape, ill see if in the other orientation to the other side solves the problem

Thanks a  lot Elektra

You are welcome. Please keep us updated, if you have doubt.
2018-3-12
Use props
Artur Macau
lvl.3
Macao

As an update, i tried the iPad with all 4 orientations possible, and the heading arrow is seldom correct, with iphone its fine, what can be causing this issue?
2018-3-15
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Artur Macau Posted at 2018-3-15 19:10
As an update, i tried the iPad with all 4 orientations possible, and the heading arrow is seldom correct, with iphone its fine, what can be causing this issue?

What kind of GPS unit and compass is your iPad using?  Is it the same as my iPhone 6?  Your iPad needs a good compass built into it to give you accurate heading arrow information related to the drone's compass heading.

The short it I don't think your iPad has a compass and is just using up is forward or up is north orientation like you would get on a static paper map.  Not dynamic like the iPhone GPS/compass assist map.

If you touch the icon and enlarge the DJI Go map, I bet the drone points the right way on the map.
2018-3-15
Use props
Artur Macau
lvl.3
Macao

That might be it, as its a WiFi only iPad (no LTE version) i think it doesn't have any GPS built in, not sure about the compass though...
Being the case, is it still good to fly with this ipad then?
2018-3-15
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Artur Macau Posted at 2018-3-15 20:08
That might be it, as its a WiFi only iPad (no LTE version) i think it doesn't have any GPS built in, not sure about the compass though...
Being the case, is it still good to fly with this ipad then?

Sure it is good.  Just remember that the drone arrow relates to north or whatever the map is showing as its top.  You will know if the picture you have of the drone has it facing East north east.  Since the arrow is to the left and and very slightly up and the top is north.

Should be able to navigate just fine using the map to fly home, or the RTH function in a pinch.  Really, I never looked at the arrow much except the two times I temporarily lost video feed.  Face the drone icon back towards me, per the map, and the video came back on.  

Drone antennas are internal near the front arms.
2018-3-15
Use props
Artur Macau
lvl.3
Macao

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-15 21:48
Sure it is good.  Just remember that the drone arrow relates to north or whatever the map is showing as its top.  You will know if the picture you have of the drone has it facing East north east.  Since the arrow is to the left and and very slightly up and the top is north.

Should be able to navigate just fine using the map to fly home, or the RTH function in a pinch.  Really, I never looked at the arrow much except the two times I temporarily lost video feed.  Face the drone icon back towards me, per the map, and the video came back on.  

Thanks for the input, i really like to ue the ipad as its a lot easier to see, just a bit heavy hehe
2018-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules