Newbie questions - android connectivity
632 9 2018-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
The Lonely Mailbox
lvl.2

Australia

Hi Everyone,

Just received my Mavic Air today.  I tried connecting it with a Nexus 5 and have the following questions:
  • The Nexus 5 micro USB is upside down so it doesn't work with the remote.  Is this a common problem?  I gather I just have to find a longer cable?
  • I also think the nexus is having trouble talking to the remote.  It doesn't seem to get past the help screen which asks you to connect the phone to the controller.  When I look atb the phone, Android is asking about what to do with the USB connection; - charging, photos etc.  I tried them all without success.

Also is there any point in connecting the Air to my PC and using DJI assistant?  Also can you connect the remote to the PC?

Thanks!
2018-3-12
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

You can get an Original 'reversed micro USB cable' from DJI, you could also use the bottom porton the remote to connect your device to with any micro-usb cable.
You can also use the short USB-C cable in conjunction with the small USB-C to micro-USB adapter, which you can just turn around to change the micro-USB orientation.

If the Nexus has problems connecting, you can try turning on the 'USB-debugging' in the 'developer settings', if you can't find the 'developer settings' in your device, a quick qoogle will get you up and running.

With the DJI Assistant you can:
-update and reset your firmware
-Calibrate the vision system
-Download your flightlogs
-Acces both internal storage and micro SD card for pulling of their contents.

And yes, you should be able to connect your remote to the DJI Assistant aswell, but there are some driver issues that DJI still has to resolve.

It's also good to take very good note of what's in the manual, which you probably haven't recieved with the drone. (the Quick start guide is not the manual...)

You can download the manual here.

2018-3-12
Use props
schubidu
New
Germany

I have the same problem with the reversed micro-USB (HTC one mini). Thanks for the tips! Will try the adapter-solution first
2018-3-12
Use props
The Lonely Mailbox
lvl.2

Australia

Thank you!
2018-3-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, have you tried the suggestions as 2# mentioned? Feel free to contact us if there is any other question.
2018-3-15
Use props
The Lonely Mailbox
lvl.2

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-15 23:57
Hi there, have you tried the suggestions as 2# mentioned? Feel free to contact us if there is any other question.

Thanks Susan,

I have tried what LoSBoL suggested.  It all works OK now.  For the record I am successfully using my LG/Google Nexus 5 with it working superbly.  I am connecting it using the main usb under the controller not the one at the side.  
2018-3-16
Use props
schubidu
New
Germany

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-15 23:57

Hi!
I tryed the solution with the adapter and it works. But the plud and the adapter stiks out, which is somewhat problematic. By using the remote it touched the plud and lost the connection.  If one can take care, its not much of an issue.
Does anyone know where it can buy the revered micro usb cable #2 was mentioning?

Cheers!
2018-3-16
Use props
The Lonely Mailbox
lvl.2

Australia

schubidu Posted at 2018-3-16 09:39
Hi!
I tryed the solution with the adapter and it works. But the plud and the adapter stiks out, which is somewhat problematic. By using the remote it touched the plud and lost the connection.  If one can take care, its not much of an issue.
Does anyone know where it can buy the revered micro usb cable #2 was mentioning?

I’ve ordered one through eBay. You can also get them from dji
2018-3-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The Lonely Mailbox Posted at 2018-3-16 01:39
Thanks Susan,

I have tried what LoSBoL suggested.  It all works OK now.  For the record I am successfully using my LG/Google Nexus 5 with it working superbly.  I am connecting it using the main usb under the controller not the one at the side.

Nice to know it works well. Hope you have a good time with the drone.
2018-3-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

schubidu Posted at 2018-3-16 09:39
Hi!
I tryed the solution with the adapter and it works. But the plud and the adapter stiks out, which is somewhat problematic. By using the remote it touched the plud and lost the connection.  If one can take care, its not much of an issue.

Please check this one: https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-rc-cable?from=search-result-v2&vid=19441
Reverse Micro USB Connector.png
2018-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules