Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Wifi ?
1800 18 2018-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Show Me Drone
lvl.2
United States

Am i missing something here ?   Am I able to fly my Mavic Air without the DJI wifi ?  am I able to fly using my home Wifi ?  I am totally lost right now .  Yesterday I was able to fly a short distance out of my driveway with no issues. I stayed low and close to HOME and my home wifi was still connected. I was able to see thru my phone that was connected with the supplied wire from the RC to my phone   . I hope this is enough info for the forum
2018-3-12
Use props
MavicRich
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579062 ft
United Kingdom

It creates it's own wifi connection. You could use it in the middle of nowhere without any external wifi or mobile internet.
2018-3-12
Use props
MavicRich
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1579062 ft
United Kingdom

The only way you could fly 'without DJI wifi' is if you were only using your phone to fly, rather than the remote. Does that make sense?
2018-3-12
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I am not sure if I understand your question correctly. But there are two WiFi connections. 1. The one between your RC and the MA which you need for flying (or the one between your mobile device and the MA for flying without RC). 2.  WiFi connection of your mobile device to  any WiFi network around which you don't need for flying. I hope this helps.
2018-3-12
Use props
Show Me Drone
lvl.2
United States

So the only purpose of the M.A. Wifi is ONLY needed to fly without my RC and solely for using a phone/tablet as a remote
2018-3-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Show Me Drone Posted at 2018-3-12 10:57
So the only purpose of the M.A. Wifi is ONLY needed to fly without my RC and solely for using a phone/tablet as a remote

No that’s not correct, you need WiFi to connect RC to To monitor this will happen once you plug monitor into cable on RC.
There is a separate WiFi that you need to connect to when using phone only.

So WiFi from RC to monitor is connected by using your otg cable will automatically connect, WiFi from Aircraft is enhanced WiFi using Omni directional antennas in your front legs using 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz.
2018-3-12
Use props
Show Me Drone
lvl.2
United States

Ok  as long as the cable is connecting my phone and RC I won't have to do anything with the wifi setting on my phone to search for the Mavic wifi signal is what I'm understanding correct?
2018-3-12
Use props
pawel_g
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509268 ft
Poland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-12 08:25
I am not sure if I understand your question correctly. But there are two WiFi connections. 1. The one between your RC and the MA which you need for flying (or the one between your mobile device and the MA for flying without RC). 2.  WiFi connection of your mobile device to  any WiFi network around which you don't need for flying. I hope this helps.

Its not the case with Air. Air is not using WiFi between your phone and RC - it uses USB cable.
So WiFi on the phone can be disabled (phone can be in airplane mode) and it will work with Mavic Air without any problem if you use RC.
The only case when you need your phone WiFi is when flying Air in RC-less mode.

Br, pawel
2018-3-12
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

pawel_g Posted at 2018-3-12 12:30
Its not the case with Air. Air is not using WiFi between your phone and RC - it uses USB cable.
So WiFi on the phone can be disabled (phone can be in airplane mode) and it will work with Mavic Air without any problem if you use RC.
The only case when you need your phone WiFi is when flying Air in RC-less mode.

Please read my response carefully, I have not been talking about WiFi connection between mobile device and RC, only about RC to MA or mobile device to MA.
2018-3-12
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Show Me Drone Posted at 2018-3-12 11:49
Ok  as long as the cable is connecting my phone and RC I won't have to do anything with the wifi setting on my phone to search for the Mavic wifi signal is what I'm understanding correct?

Yes exactly, just forget about WiFi, you don't need to do anything and you even better close down WiFi on your mobile device while flying, not needed.
2018-3-12
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Show Me Drone Posted at 2018-3-12 10:57
So the only purpose of the M.A. Wifi is ONLY needed to fly without my RC and solely for using a phone/tablet as a remote

The MA connects via WiFi either to your RC or to your mobile device if you don't use the RC. When using the RC (which is always preferable for many reasons) you won't even see the MA WiFi and can't connect to it either.
2018-3-12
Use props
Show Me Drone
lvl.2
United States

Thank you very much, that's the answer i was looking for
2018-3-12
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Show Me Drone Posted at 2018-3-12 12:40
Thank you very much, that's the answer i was looking for

You are very welcome :-)
2018-3-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Forget you ever herd the term WiFi it causes confusion. The controller connects to the Mavic Air via a radio signal and the Controller connects to phone or tablet with a wire.

Ignor your house, Ignor any reference to WiFi just understand what I have stated above.

Dennis
2018-3-12
Use props
Show Me Drone
lvl.2
United States

Your 1st sentence says it all, thank you
2018-3-12
Use props
RichInGa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 449344 ft
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-3-12 14:04
Forget you ever herd the term WiFi it causes confusion. The controller connects to the Mavic Air via a radio signal and the Controller connects to phone or tablet with a wire.

Ignor your house, Ignor any reference to WiFi just understand what I have stated above.

I believe the controller and the Mavic Air communicate across an enhanced 802.11 Wifi signal running at 2.5g or 5.8g.  You don't have to do anything to set this up, and you don't have to connect your phone / tablet to wifi.  I personally have gone over a mile away and had plenty of signal left. I could have gone much further in my opinion.
2018-3-12
Use props
Tom_A
lvl.4
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichInGa Posted at 2018-3-12 17:03
I believe the controller and the Mavic Air communicate across an enhanced 802.11 Wifi signal running at 2.5g or 5.8g.  You don't have to do anything to set this up, and you don't have to connect your phone / tablet to wifi.  I personally have gone over a mile away and had plenty of signal left. I could have gone much further in my opinion.

Can't fly mine that far away. It begins to shake. Probably has something to do with the way my hands are shaking as well.
2018-3-12
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RichInGa Posted at 2018-3-12 17:03

If you all stop using the term WiFi people will get less confused. Use the term radio signal which is what it is and people will stop associating it with the thing that they use to connect to the internet and they will be a lot clearer

Dennis
2018-3-12
Use props
RichInGa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 449344 ft
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-3-12 22:57
If you all stop using the term WiFi people will get less confused. Use the term radio signal which is what it is and people will stop associating it with the thing that they use to connect to the internet and they will be a lot clearer

Dennis

Good point.
2018-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules