12Next >
3971 49 2015-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
miragecy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 690197 ft
Cyprus

New power-adaptor 180W for DJI Inspire 1!

http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-power-adaptor-180w

Andy
2015-5-5
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Well there you go +80watts.

£75 that's what $114 ? For a charger that should have been standard
2015-5-5
Use props
DJeff1
lvl.2

United States

Bob would be so proud.
2015-5-5
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJeff1 Posted at 2015-5-5 23:03
Bob would be so proud.

You got that right!
2015-5-5
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
Flight distance : 779419 ft
United States

So if the battery can only take in what it can then how can this charger do it in a "rapid" manner.
2015-5-5
Use props
DJeff1
lvl.2

United States

Outta Control Posted at 2015-5-5 23:17
So if the battery can only take in what it can then how can this charger do it in a "rapid" manner.

By rapid they mean faster than the stock charger that came with the I1.
2015-5-5
Use props
miragecy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 690197 ft
Cyprus

DJeff1 Posted at 2015-5-5 23:39
By rapid they mean faster than the stock charger that came with the I1.

Yes, but if the battery handles the charge, how can it be rapid power supply?

Andy
2015-5-5
Use props
DJeff1
lvl.2

United States

My name is not Bob. The orginal stock charger  was simply pressing the gas pedal only about 60% percent down to full throttle, now with the new charger it is pedal to the metal, full throttle 100%.
2015-5-5
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
United States

miragecy Posted at 2015-5-6 00:04
Yes, but if the battery handles the charge, how can it be rapid power supply?

Andy

I approve this post.

So the question is now. How can this be a Rapid Charger if (based on past post) the battery can only "take in " what it needs.

Paging Genetico?
2015-5-5
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

The Charger is in the battery itself and can safely ask for a maximum of 180W.  The new power adaptor will deliver 180W at full load

Jason
2015-5-5
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
United States

Ph02on Posted at 2015-5-6 00:27
The Charger is in the battery itself and can safely ask for a maximum of 180W.  The new power adapto ...

So essentially it is not a "rapid" charger but it IS the RIGHT power adapter to begin with.

So if that is try then DJI SHOULD send every Inspire owner the CORRECT POwer Adapter.
2015-5-5
Use props
DJeff1
lvl.2

United States

Ideally, this should be at about 200 watts or possibly a little more so that it would not have to operate at full load thus operate at a cooler temperature.
2015-5-5
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

The problem DJI have, it the fact that people use both the TB47 and the TB48.  The new power adaptor will deliver 6.85A at 26.3V, so if you are charging a TB47, the charge rate will be C1.5     If you charge a TB48, the charge rate will be about C1.2.   These batteries shouldn't really be charged above C1.5.  That is why I believe they have limited the adaptor to 180W.  If people only used TB48 batteries, then you could use a 225W adaptor to charge at C1.5

Jason
2015-5-5
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Outta Control Posted at 2015-5-6 00:27
I approve this post.

So the question is now. How can this be a Rapid Charger if (based on past po ...

Lol...

So... As stated and yes... you are correct.. the battery will only take up to the rated value as it has the "charger" built in. The Battery can take up to a maximum available power of up to 10amps (245watts or so) but it is rated to 180Watts (which is not the MAXIMUM rate it can take),  and/but if you try to have more available power coming from PSU over this  amperage (10amps) the Battery's brain would trigger it's over current protection and not allow you to charge them period. So it was logical to think that they would have had to change firmware on the battery if they wanted to charge faster than at 10amps (245 watts) or just have a charger that would go to the rated charging capacity. As Ph02on mentioned, and I concur with his statement.... the safest most usable charging rate is C1.5 so this charger is rated to that capacity for the TB47s.  As suspected and I had anticipated on the "DIY" thread associated,  DJI went up to 180Watts though I wished they put the extra 20watts so you can charge the Remote Controller and Battery and not be at over 100% capacity of the PSU... even at 200watts you would be running it at 100% capacity on the PSU if charging both... I would suspect it would get warm to hot... but not quite the 117F I observed and logged during testing while charging the battery alone.
I wonder if they indicate on this model if you can charge both at the same time.... (probably still not a good idea).

Before..  they gave us about a 100Watts and this yielded to about 85Minutes charging times and now the claim is about 68Minutes for full charge... I think this goes right on par with my test results almost by the minute.. as I charged at about 180Watts charging rates from 22.8 Volts (around 34%) it took about 50 minutes to charge to 100%.

Anyways... They are not calling it a "rapid charger" they are calling it a "Rapid Charge (wait for it...) Power Adapter" so I think it is an adequate name for it as it would yield to faster charging times of the battery.

2015-5-5
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Genettico.

So if I can be ignorant for a few minutes here would something like this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKYRC-eF ... hash=item58af036c0e

Plus this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Ba ... hash=item43db8b27aa

setting at the same voltage as the above DJI power adapter acceptable?

Thanks in advance.
2015-5-5
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Outta Control Posted at 2015-5-6 03:17
Thanks Genettico.

there's no ignorance... we are all learning here.... and WOW!!! what an awesome find.... that has to be one of the best PSU units I have seen for the application. You can charge up to 3 batteries and Chargers at once using the individual 10Amp (which looks like their amperage would go down according to voltage) and assuming it is 10amps at 30 volts (doing some quick math) it would be 8.6amps (223.6watts) at 26 volts (which is what you would set it at) and you could just run this part http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Insp ... hash=item2edf697d96 in parallel with some male banana plugs to each connector and you would be able to charge the Remote Controllers (up to 3) and batteries all at once.
It does not mention if you can set different voltages/amperage to the different terminals, so I just assume you can only adjust the voltage and the amperage would decrease as result... even though they have a picture reflecting 30volts -40amps (which is a contradiction.. unless they are measuring load and it is not showing such in pic)  (from 50Amps on the single one and from 10amps on the multiple ones) so for the 50amp terminal at 26volts you are looking at 43.33amps (1126watts) which we all know is too much for a single battery to handle.

So if this is the case (for the 50amp terminal), you can put an amperage regulator to bring down that terminal to 10amps or less on parallel circuits  and you can run up to 6 individual batteries like that (but maxing out the PSU and possibly running hot if running all 6) or run your suggested parallel charger with a 30 amp regulator for 3 more batteries (which you would have to charge at once to distribute the load) or even up to 6 batteries (without Amp regulator) using 2 of your suggested charging cables (connected in parallel to the single terminal) ... but they would have to be charging all  at once and still the unit will be running near capacity. You have options that's for sure!!!!

I personally would just charge 3 batteries at a time with the Remotes as well,  using individual ports.... or 3 batteries at once on the individual ones and add a regulator to the 50 amp terminal to give me one more battery for a total of 4.. plus  2 to 3  remote controllers. You would still have extra juice for your USB charger, and not max out the PSU and make it run hot.

I think they are overselling it a bit though... the math (IMO) does not add up... Im sure it is a single power source and they are splitting the power to all different terminals... and they claim 50Amps at the individual larger terminal which is in excess of 1200watts at 30volts, unless they mean 1200watts  average and peak 1500Watts. I also would not expect that you can run 50amps of the individual terminal plus 30amps extra from the other 3 at the same time and still have juice for the USB PS at 5v (2.1amp)... that would be in excess of 2400watts not even considering the USB....

Anyways... I went on a rabbit hole there...lol!!  I really like it... and feel it is a great buy for the price...I wish someone would buy it and let me test configurations (wink wink!!!!)

I did about this same power splitting scheme to design my Battery discharger and everything works GREAT!

Let me know if I can offer more help/advice!
2015-5-5
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Outta Control Posted at 2015-5-6 03:17
Thanks Genettico.

So... did you get it?? did you ? eh?? eh??{:3_59:}
2015-5-7
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-8 02:04
So... did you get it?? did you ? eh?? eh??

LOL. It was sold before I could get to "click" it.

No worries I'll get it.  {:2_31:}
2015-5-7
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

Outta Control Posted at 2015-5-8 04:23
LOL. It was sold before I could get to "click" it.

No worries I'll get it.

OH NOOOO!!! I just did a search and you could buy it.... but for a bit more $265.00
Keep us in the loop!!!
2015-5-7
Use props
tpallai
lvl.4

United States

Wow this is awesome!!!
2015-5-7
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-8 06:22
OH NOOOO!!! I just did a search and you could buy it.... but for a bit more $265.00
Keep us in th ...

$229.00 with free shipping -

http://www.banggood.com/SKYRC-Ef ... bsMUCFQJufgod2A8AhQ
2015-5-7
Use props
Outta Control
lvl.2
United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-5-8 06:53

http://www.banggood.com/SKYRC-Efuel-50A1200W-HV-Power-Supply-p-87799 ...

Nice find.
2015-5-7
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-5-8 06:53

http://www.banggood.com/SKYRC-Efuel-50A1200W-HV-Power-Supply-p-87799 ...

Indeed Nice find... thank you for sharing... it is however outside USA! (just a consideration)
2015-5-7
Use props
PureSQNut
lvl.4

United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-8 10:16
Indeed Nice find... thank you for sharing... it is however outside USA! (just a consideration)

I have ordered from them before. Quality service, good communication and they actually have what they promote. Shipping was pretty quick both times as well.
2015-5-8
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

PureSQNut Posted at 2015-5-9 05:02
I have ordered from them before. Quality service, good communication and they actually have what t ...

Guys,
Im gonna bite the bullet and get one...I really dont even need one... but in the effort of helping the community on finding that perfect combination for our PSU needs Im willing to go there!! lol!
If you want to wait...once received I will test and let you know... The only thing Im concerned about with it is the amperage regulation as they do not give you a control for it... so you are limited by the voltage... If you put at 26v Im afraid you might exceed the 10Amps on the individual terminals as what is available for batteries to use as the terminals are  all feeding from same source and the "fuse" in them (if any) might be 15amps or even 20amps...if this is the case... The Batts might go into Over Current mode.

I wonder.... Regardless,  I like it and I feel I can use it on other stuff...so I might just get it nationally and get it faster...
2015-5-8
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-6 04:37
there's no ignorance... we are all learning here.... and WOW!!! what an awesome find.... that has t ...

Genettoco,

This is where he found this information. Bob Marley and I have been trying to find something that would do a better job... and charge three batteries both remotes and two iPads at the same time..
Although I purchased this power supply and have returned it to the eBay seller. It was defective and I was not impressed with quality.

I posted the 1200 watt power supply I already own by Protek but the voltage is max at 24V. The quality is perfect and has been awesome of over one year.

http://www.amain.com/rc-cars/pro ... 0w-ptk-8515/p260581
here is the blog

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/s ... =2388722&page=5  
2015-5-9
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-5-10 01:32
Genettoco,

This is where he found this information. Bob Marley and I have been trying to find som ...

Outside the quality... did you give it a whirl?
I suspect what I wrote above...

If the Protek had 26v voltage that you could use... how do you go about bringing the amperage down for batteries to not go in over current protection? have you found a "nice" amperage regulator? I know we can use diodes, and even resistors but trying to make it a little nicer...

The model I suggested works, but again... the biggest thing is isolating terminals to come to under 10amps...
2015-5-9
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Outta Control Posted at 2015-5-6 00:31
So essentially it is not a "rapid" charger but it IS the RIGHT power adapter to begin with.

So if  ...

Hello Bob ... I missed you!
2015-5-9
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-10 01:45

Are you going t buy it and test it? also can you please confirm if that PSU will work and charge all 3 batteries at the same time as if you where just charging one single battery??? Will it charge it at the same rate or do you think it might take longer to charge all 3 batteries.
2015-5-9
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-10 01:45

Genettico

Yes, I show some photos of the power supply energized in Bob's blog. I was using it at 15.2V  5.5 amps for charging a three cell battery from one of my other copters.  yeah, I sent it back after trying it, it was clearly defective, fans were noisy accuracy on the meter was poor and only allowed voltage to 29V (not 30v).   eBay for 249 bucks

read the blog: When you assemble everything, power supply, three battery strip connector board, they should all work fine, but the connector strip may require support (thin PC board). the batteries will charge correctly and faster over all because they will each charge at 200 watts  based on the intelligent battery logic circuit.  

Respectfully, you do not need to regulate the amperage, only set the correct voltage and the intelligent battery charger will do the rest. It will only pull the required amps at 200 watts... that's it.  The power supply will not provide any more or less than what is being asked of it.

Rich   
2015-5-9
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-5-10 06:57
Genettico

Yes, I show some photos of the power supply energized in Bob's blog. I was using it at  ...

Thank you Rich... You are correct... The battery will Only pull what it needs... but again, my point stands... This battery has something that other lithium batteries do not have... The built in circuitry has this "limitation" IF the battery detects there is more than 10amps available from the power supply it will not let you charge  it period... It will go into "over current" mode.. I have tested and even done a video showing this..
Here it is:

http://youtu.be/DmVvAh0pX1c

Bob mentioned  you can just buy a PSU with just a single 50amp terminal and charge 6 batteries out of it.. I agree... But only if you reduce the amperage to 10amps or less to each battery charging lead so you can charge individually or charge 6 at the same time...
This is not something I am theorizing about... It has been proven...

Yet... According to Bob, and it sounds like you might be under the same assumption (based on theory) (please excuse me if you are not) if you simply put a single battery into a 50 amp terminal it will charge just fine... ?

This efuel psu claims they only have 10amps at each terminal.... For the 3 separate terminals...I wonder if they are limiting to a higher amperage or a lower number!

I read the  blog, My question was if you tested it with the Inspire batteries... Sorry for the misunderstanding..

Please see note below.
2015-5-9
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

JKT Posted at 2015-5-10 02:18
Are you going t buy it and test it? also can you please confirm if that PSU will work and charge a ...

BOUGHT  IT today earlier... And thanks to Usps and sunday delivery I am supposed to get it tomorrow... It will Charge the batteries faster... not quite half the time because the charger starts limiting amperage and tapers it at about 60% and then it demands less and less... if you hook 6 batteries to the 50 amp in parallel and charge them like that it will work... But if you put only 5 then it wont... If the 3 terminals are truly under the 10amps and limited to that and not above so then you should be able to charge 3 separately one at a time...

There is something I had mentioned before I will mention again, and Rich please see this note as well so that no one is deceived that it works:

FOR SOME REASON AFTER ABOUT 65 to 70% of the battery capacity IF YOU ATTEMPT THEN to charge with over 10amps available from PSU the battery DOES NOT  go into over current and it does continue to charge it... to 100%.... But this is only then and not below this threshold...
Now... I will go into theorizing this... IMO after about 65% of the charge.. or so and because the battery demands much less amperage than what is rated to start tapering its charging  and though I think the over current protection might still be there, it does not send it into over current protection because the battery is not asking near close to the 10 amps..as when the battery is below 50%... this time is only asking about 7 and continues to go down...

Why do they build the over current protection? To protect battery? Circuitry? To not allow battery to charge over its rated amperage and so it does not get too hot?

Who knows...
2015-5-9
Use props
JKT
lvl.4

United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-10 07:50
BOUGHT  IT today earlier... And thanks to Usps and sunday delivery I am supposed to get it tomorrow ...

Hi Genettico, sounds very Exciting... cant wait to hear from you telling us your experience. Hopefully you can go the super extra mile (I mean you did you the extra mile just buying it) and get some video of how you have everything set up... would be cool if you can leave a camera recording the batteries with a timer showing the LED light of the battery to get an exact Idea of how long and how fast and if they all charge at the same time and are done charging together. I might be asking for to much but Genettico we need you to finish strong since you decided to take one for the team LOL... anyways i am excited for you and we the forum cant wait to hear from you with the final conclusion.... Thanks !
2015-5-9
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-10 07:38
Thank you Rich... You are correct... The battery will Only pull what it needs... but again, my poin ...

Hey Genettico,

You have spent a lot of time and explanation on this subject. Thank you. I guess you are correct we are assuming how the intelligent battery circuit is designed to work. Maybe we need to rethink hooking up a 1200 watt / 50 amp unit to one of these batteries. My protek unit shows amperage in real time when the loading occurs. The Efuel unit is the same (but not very accurate  IMO). It is true that the Efuel has three independent 10 amp outputs and this might be a place to start.  I would attach some photos or details, but I have lost the ability to do so in our forum since the upgrade. I only have three TB47 batteries and one TB48 battery, so I do not plan on charging more than three at one time. I do plan on putting both remotes and iPads on my charging station though.  It is interesting that the Smart Power Charger has only 600 watts for four batteries and you can also charge the iPad.  This is not gaining you much more than the stock under sized power supply per battery.
Rich

PS: awesome video showing the charging scenario with multiple packs and the overcurrent protection. Who knew......   (DJI)

Let the experiment begin and keep us updated.
2015-5-9
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-5-10 09:15
Hey Genettico,

You have spent a lot of time and explanation on this subject. Thank you. I guess y ...

Well boys and girls... This one is a bust!! Unlike Rich I do like the quality of the unit.... However... The voltage regulating knob is Waaay to sensitive...and  I do agree with Rich as well with the voltage being off... Yet it seems only about .25 volts., and I wish you could just set the voltage and pull the darn thing off so you just don't bump it and change voltage...
If you ask me is it a good buy for our applications after today's testings? I would say NO... Buy two of my proposed units for $100 that gives you 1000 watts and be better used!! Or like me buy one for $50 and charge 3 batteries at once!

As I suspected though... And to our dissapointment... Each of the 10amp terminals are not truly limited to under 10amps... And as so... It sends the batteries into over current protection... On top of that... The PSU does not like to be asked too much amperage at once (I.e 3 batteries at once)  And it seems to put itself into a protection mode called "OPP" (over power connection).... Lol.. Funny when we are  supposedly asking less than 10amps each battery for each terminal... So back to square one guys.. I can do better with my proposed $50.00 solution that I currently use.. Now you can imagine what would happen if you were to hook up 3 batteries or even 5 on the 50 amp single terminal and wired them parallel... Yup it still will not work.. The solution? Put inline amperage regulator... (Resistor/diode)
Here is a quick video:
http://youtu.be/Jly2Rxi4m08

2015-5-10
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

GENETTICO Posted at 2015-5-11 10:54
Well boys and girls... This one is a bust!! Unlike Rich I do like the quality of the unit.... Howev ...

Hello Genettico,

Wow yours definitely worked better than the one I received. It is very disappointing that it did not work the way we all hoped.  This is a bummer!!  Send it back for a refund my friend .. it didn't work as advertised.

Thank you for the report and time to share this information with all of us.
Rich
2015-5-10
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

Hi Andy-
I just wanted to share my thoughts and what I have learned from using Lipo Batteries as I use them everyday on my R/C , Arlen Ness Choppers, and KTM Dirt Bikes, from what I read and also Discussed with a local manufacturer in Las Angeles is that Lipo Batteries do not like a constant fast charge or a high rate of charge, if this is done over and over it will compromise the life of the battery most big Manufactures claim a slow charge is best to keep the life of the battery stable. now please don't kill the messenger as this is my thoughts of what I understand about treating Lipos with care.
2015-5-11
Use props
pops52
lvl.2

United States

Bob Marley studied and ordered one. He said the amperage was adjustable and hammered the guy that questioned the adjust-ability of the amperage. And we all know that Bob Marley is "THE" expert. You guys must be wrong.  
2015-5-11
Use props
n.peterson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8031880 ft
United States

Personally i have 4 100 Watt chargers for my 4 x TB47's and 4 x TB48's, and the 2 remotes. I have to say in an hour I'm ready to go with 4 batteries charged full and another hour to finish the last 4, i cant see the point in getting a stack of 180W chargers to save a few minutes, the batteries will only take in as much as they need to charge safely so i cant justify the price, I'm happy with what i have, $55 a charger is better than over $100 each. I will be picking up 4 more 100W chargers as i have made a docking station where i can just drop in the 4 batteries and as i said in an hour they're done, so if i make another dock ill be able to charge all 8 batteries at once, of course the TB48's will take a little longer thats why i plan ahead. My 2 cents..
2015-5-11
Use props
GENETTICO
lvl.3

United States

n.peterson@me.c Posted at 2015-5-12 02:17
Personally i have 4 100 Watt chargers for my 4 x TB47's and 4 x TB48's, and the 2 remotes. I have to ...

My proposed solution is $50 for each 3 batteries... way cheaper than your current one.. Each one is 500 watts... not 180watts.

Anyways... yeah... Dundee did what you did... it works great.. just have to watch out for temps thats all!
2015-5-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules