OSMO Mobile 1 gimbal calibration issue
2453 9 2018-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Xl1zzwJlgppc
New
United States

Hello,
I've been using the OSMO Mobile 1 for 3 months now, and just recently found my horizon setting is off by about 2 degrees.
Very noticeable on the horizon line. I run the Auto Calibration, it says it's OK, but it's not perfectly level as before. Phone is Samsung S7, no problem to balance it.

I have to run the "Calibrate Horizon" and set it to +2.0 to have a level horizon line. I didn't need this setting previously!
Any thoughts about why this just happened? Is it normal or not to need to add in this correction, even though the Auto Calibration passes?
Thanks, Jerry
2018-3-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Are you sure it is 100% balanced?
(when the Osmo Mobile (OM) is OFF and you move the OM a bit it still remains level?)

I have only calibrated it once (on arrival) and never needed to do this again.
2018-3-13
Use props
djiuser_Xl1zzwJlgppc
New
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-13 01:23
Are you sure it is 100% balanced?
(when the Osmo Mobile (OM) is OFF and you move the OM a bit it still remains level?)

Thanks Montfrooij,
Yes, it is 100% mechanically balanced, I've always been sure to set that accurately.
I've run the Auto Cal in the past, and it was obvious that the horizon line was level.
For example, at the beach, and ocean, that line was perfectly flat, especially viewed on my PC.

In the last week or so, I've noticed that slight tilt, and now I have to set the "Calibrate Horizon" setting to +2.0.   And then it works fine, horizon remains flat!   I've always been careful with the gimbal, it doesn't get thrown around or beat up.  Just curious if this has happened to others, or if it is a problem.
Jerry
2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_Xl1zzwJlgppc Posted at 2018-3-13 03:43
Thanks Montfrooij,
Yes, it is 100% mechanically balanced, I've always been sure to set that accurately.
I've run the Auto Cal in the past, and it was obvious that the horizon line was level.

Ok.
Now I do notice sometimes the horizon is a little off, but that is corrected after some motion.
Not permanent.
Maybe you can share an example?
2018-3-13
Use props
djiuser_Xl1zzwJlgppc
New
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-13 03:55
Ok.
Now I do notice sometimes the horizon is a little off, but that is corrected after some motion.
Not permanent.

Sure, here's a link to a short clip when I first noticed the tilt:
      (It's UNLISTED, but you should be able to view the video)

I did some testing today, and I noticed what you say about correcting after some motion.
Now, I normally don't set the Horizon, it's left at 0.0  ---- and as I was testing today, I noticed that if I hold still, and use the joystick to move the gimbal, it seemed to change and correct itself somewhat.

Normally, I don't typically use the joystick when I'm shooting, I just turn with my hand or move my body. But with some testing, it looks like the horizon lines do seem to "correct" themselves when I use the joystick. I'll have to try more of that.   Bottom line, it now appears that a gimbal roll setting of +0.7 is better than leaving it at 0.0!  +2.0 is too much now.   (I doubt if that corresponds to a setting of 0.7 degree(?) which would really be a small change!)  

So I'll try more practice, and see if this works now.    Jerry
2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_Xl1zzwJlgppc Posted at 2018-3-13 09:00
Sure, here's a link to a short clip when I first noticed the tilt:
https://youtu.be/pX3ajxp9HPs      (It's UNLISTED, but you should be able to view the video)

Yes, that seems a bit off.
Not too much indeed and you probably don't notice it when walking, but in these type of shots it is visible.
You calibrated it while it was sitting on a perfectly level surface right?
2018-3-13
Use props
djiuser_Xl1zzwJlgppc
New
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-13 11:47
Yes, that seems a bit off.
Not too much indeed and you probably don't notice it when walking, but in these type of shots it is visible.
You calibrated it while it was sitting on a perfectly level surface right?

Montfrooij,
I have to thank you for this discussion! Very good question --
I have to admit....... as I thought back to my last video shoot --- I calibrated in Auto mode on March 10, and I can see that something was not right at that point. It probably was not an absolutely level surface. I can see from videos on March 5 and 6 that there was no problem.   Hehehehe..... it is THAT critical to get this stuff right!   Lesson learned!
Jerry
2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

djiuser_Xl1zzwJlgppc Posted at 2018-3-13 11:55
Montfrooij,
I have to admit....... as I thought back to my last video shoot --- I calibrated in Auto mode on March 10, and I can see that something was not right at that point. It probably was not an absolutely level surface. I can see from videos on March 5 and 6 that there was no problem.   Hehehehe..... it is THAT critical to get this stuff right!   Lesson learned!

No problem.
Hope you can get it solved now
Never too old to learn
2018-3-13
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

djiuser_Xl1zzwJlgppc Posted at 2018-3-13 11:55
Montfrooij,
I have to admit....... as I thought back to my last video shoot --- I calibrated in Auto mode on March 10, and I can see that something was not right at that point. It probably was not an absolutely level surface. I can see from videos on March 5 and 6 that there was no problem.   Hehehehe..... it is THAT critical to get this stuff right!   Lesson learned!

Please feel free to inform us if you have question in our products. We are willing to help. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-18
Use props
djiuser_x9vZWFJQyvdr
New

United States

Hello everyone,

I have the original Osmo Mobile 1. I have downloaded both DJI GO and DJI Mimo. I have my phone connected through the DJI Go app with the osmo but I cannot run the Auto-Calibration. It is saying "Automatic Gimbal Calibration not supported with Portrait mode"

The app camera is currently on video view not camera. Anyone know how to fix this so I can do the Auto-Calibration?

Thank You!
2022-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules