7729 31 2018-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Silverhammer92
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15869 ft
Switzerland

Hello Folks

I was looking for a way to power my mavic and other batteries out in the nowhere. Sadly after a lot of troubleshooting in another post here in the forum, the only valuable Solution seems to be a power Generator.

My plan is two Weeks of Iceland-Camping with no access to a power outlet. I will be traveling by car, but charging my stuff with the car battery would get me stranded.
Following Batteries must be charged:4 Mavic Pro Batteries
1 Mavic Controller
2 Smartphones
2 Gopro Hero 4 Batteries

I will not be able to transport a powergenerator by plane, so the only solution is to buy one in Iceland and (hopefully) sell it again.
Exept one of you guys lives there and has a generator I could use.. but that seems quite utopic ;-)

The question:
I found this generator on thor.is
https://thor.is/index.php?route= ... price&order=ASC

• Will this generator work to charge all my batteries?
  • Do I need another device to make it work
  • Is there anything I have to consider?
  • How long will it take to charge the mavic batteries from 0% to 100% (I'll charge them all at the same time)

Those are the specs (google-translate):

Engine: Honda GXH50 gasoline, air-cooled. Tank: 3.8 liters. Run time at 75% load: 8.1 hours.  Generator: Sawafuji SF1000 non-corrosive. Maximum power: 1.0 kVA Working Output: 0.9 kVA Voltage: 230V-4 Amp. (1 link) / 12 V Size: (Lxbxh) 47x27x38 cm. Weight: 14 kg.  Inverter technology (power control), can be connected sensitive electrical equipment, e.g. phones and computers. Very quiet electrical outlet, only 64 dB at 7m.
2018-3-13
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You might be better off with a camping battery and power inverter just for charging your stuff up. There might be camping hire companies out there that will rent you a battery and converter.
2018-3-13
Use props
ukjoncollins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1979577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'd just buy a small inverter and run it off the car battery. Sure you'll need to run the car to use it but it'll be cheaper and easier than a generator. I have one in my van for that very reason.
2018-3-13
Use props
ukjoncollins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1979577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Alternatively, you'd get around 8 or 9 battery charges out of something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portabl ... ZXHXSQ0PNA3YJMCSTGY
2018-3-13
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

Honda generators are generally very good. I don't know about that model specifically but I have a similar suitcase Honda gen which I took camping, to charge phones, ipads etc. It should be more than enough to charge your batteries. Mine ran for about 4 -5 hours on a tank of petrol, was exceptionally quiet and very useful.
2018-3-13
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.3
Switzerland

@Malakai_UK
I checked with some camping-companies over there and none had something usefull for rent neither did they know any agency who could help me...

@ukjoncollins
I think that would be even more expensive... then I prefer to buy the generator - perhaps I can even resell it...
The camping battery would last max 2 days... too little and we do not drive enough to charge it fast enough.

@Wyke
Thanks for your feedback. Hopefully someone can say that the power is enough to charge my stuff... would hate to go to iceland, buy the generator just to not be able to charge my stuff at the end,.. :S
2018-3-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Silverhammer92 Posted at 2018-3-13 23:41
@Malakai_UK
I checked with some camping-companies over there and none had something usefull for rent neither did they know any agency who could help me...

I can't read, Icelandic, thus I am having to guess.

But it looks like generator only supplies 230 VAC, not 120 VAC.
Generator is labeled as 1000, but is shown as 0.9 KVA.  Roughly 3.9 Amps at 230 VAC.
Another spec? points to 4 amps at 230 VAC.  Generator appears to be 900 to 920 watt.
I can't discern anything about Hertz, whether it is 50 Hz or 60 Hz.

As to power-supply / charging load.  You need to add up each charger's rated Amps at specified voltage or use listed wattage at specified voltage to come up with load.
Along with making sure power-supply / chargers will safely work off of 230 VAC at 50 or 60 Hz.
If you or a friend has an Amp meter, you could measure load of all  power-supplies / chargers while charging batteries - hooked into single power  strip, connected to a split extension cord for Amp meter field clamp.

There are couple of other issues.
Amount of Fuel used, liters per hour at idle, half-load, and full-load.  Generators tend to burn through a lot of fuel.

Along with number of hours of running before Oil must be added, and Oil must be changed.  Leading to a liter of oil and spare oil filter.  
I would also want a spare spark plug, and fuel filter.
Assuming extreme cold temperatures, a spray can of starting fluid.  Knowing that is dangerous stuff, when used incorrectly.

And make sure generator is outside, away from any air entry points of whatever you are staying or sleeping in.
2018-3-14
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.3
Switzerland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-14 01:01
I can't read, Icelandic, thus I am having to guess.

But it looks like generator only supplies 230 VAC, not 120 VAC.

This is the charger I am planning to use:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product ... AECJ8L2T8MR99&psc=1

If I read your post correctly it means, that this should work and take approx. 2 hours (hence the power is not as strong) to go from 0-100 with the postet multi-charger?

Thanks for the reply :-)
2018-3-14
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Looking at the specs, Im guessing it’d be sufficient. It has an active capacity of 900w, and peak 1000w, so 3.5A running. It runs at 0.5 litres an hour with a fuel tank of 3.8litres. In addition to the AC outlet, it also has one 12v DC outlet.
2018-3-14
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207631 ft
  • >>>

The generator will provide more than enough power for the charger, in fact it will probably be way overkill. Most changers etc these days are multi voltage, they will accept either 220 or 120V input, so that will not be an issue normally (just make sure you check the label of each before connecting it).
But, I can not quite see the point in using this big noisy generator when you already have a car. Charging from the car would not run down you car batteries if you just keep the engine running while charging. I suppose you will not be charging all night anyway. Buying a 12V to 230 or 120V converter with capacity to run the chargers will cost a fraction of what the generator will cost. Or you could even use chargers that run directly from the 12V supply in the car. I suspect that this will be a LOT less hassle and also a lot less obnoxious than having the generator running. If you plan on camping I can not really see that you would be allowed to operate this generator in a campsite. And you have to stay in campsites, wild camping is now illegal in Iceland. The smaller items you can also charge directly from 12V mobile phone changers while driving.
2018-3-14
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I’d agree with JensIR. It’d be a lot easier to get an inverter and run that off your car’s battery, with engine running to keep that topped up. And cheaper too.
2018-3-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Silverhammer92 Posted at 2018-3-14 01:13
This is the charger I am planning to use:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product ... AECJ8L2T8MR99&psc=1

Have you looked around for a 12V version?

Three of DJI's car chargers would do similar job.   Would need three cigarette (12v) sockets or adapters.
https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-car-charger

If you worried about running down car battery, buy a decent off-road sealed 12v battery and run 12v chargers from that.
With car engine running, you could use jumper cables to charge 12v battery.  Even charge 12v battery while using 12v chargers.

Me, I would get some 8-gauge wire, wire ties, and rig 12v battery to charge while driving.
2018-3-14
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

JensIR Posted at 2018-3-14 04:06
The generator will provide more than enough power for the charger, in fact it will probably be way overkill. Most changers etc these days are multi voltage, they will accept either 220 or 120V input, so that will not be an issue normally (just make sure you check the label of each before connecting it).
But, I can not quite see the point in using this big noisy generator when you already have a car. Charging from the car would not run down you car batteries if you just keep the engine running while charging. I suppose you will not be charging all night anyway. Buying a 12V to 230 or 120V converter with capacity to run the chargers will cost a fraction of what the generator will cost. Or you could even use chargers that run directly from the 12V supply in the car. I suspect that this will be a LOT less hassle and also a lot less obnoxious than having the generator running. If you plan on camping I can not really see that you would be allowed to operate this generator in a campsite. And you have to stay in campsites, wild camping is now illegal in Iceland. The smaller items you can also charge directly from 12V mobile phone changers while driving.

"If you plan on camping I can not really see that you would be allowed to  operate this generator in a campsite. And you have to stay in  campsites, wild camping is now illegal in Iceland."

I know nothing of Iceland.  But if you have to stay in designated campsites.  
Can you pay extra to have a campsite that provides electrical power (one outlet)?  Similar to campaing in some places in U.S.

2018-3-14
Use props
JensIR
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207631 ft
  • >>>
Norway

It is not common with electrical outlets for tent campers. I have seen that some campsites provide electrical outlets intended for campervans. In that case you would probaby have to pay whatever rate is valid for a campervan, which I assume is more than for a tent. I have no personal experience with this, as I have not camped with campervan in Iceland, only tent, and have not really needed electrical outlets. So I do not know how many of the campsites have such facilities or how available they are. The campsites in Iceland can vary quite a lot in what they offer. Some have a selection of facilities (although I think probably not as extensive as some US campsites) and could for example be operated in connection with hotels/guesthouses/restaurants etc. Many other campsites are just large open grass fields with a small building containing toilets and showers. A few really primitive ones have only a toilet and running cold water.
2018-3-14
Use props
ancleVec
lvl.1

Hong Kong

SUPASWIFT XG1350 INVERTER GENERATOR $699.00
60cc
13kg
max kva 1350
rated: 1.1kva
58dba (7m)
usb

GSMOON XYG1200i PureSine Inverter Portable 1200W Max - $444.50 (13.5 kg 15kg full of gas)
gas cap: 3L
(7m)/dBA: 58 (100% load)
dis: 60cc
run: 4.3hrs 100% load
aircooled
CE/GS/EPA 1200W Gas Silent Portable Generators, inverter generators Manufacturer From Jinhua China, FOB Price is USD 100.0-200.0/Box

GT2005I DIGITAL INVERTER GENERATOR 2000W - $1,195.00
excl GST
20kg
51db
5.4L - 8hrs run at %80 load

Trade Tested Digital Inverter Generator 1000W $699 (14kg)
3.6L
50cc
rated out: 900W
7 hours @rated load
54-58db
fan cooled

i have a 6500 for 6 years now i got at harbor and its still a beast i hook it directly to my panel i have a permenate connection on both rails i just turn off the main so it doesnt back feed and kill a line man and flip 2 breakers i installed on the bottom of the panel plug this 220 line into the generator and give it a pull mine is hooked to my 500 gallon propane tank so if the power goes out its flip 3 breakers and 1 pull i live in tornado alley we lose power alot and its awesome

2018-8-1
Use props
Starlight Power
lvl.1

Japan

Honda generator is famous generator and it also has a good performance and quality. I also have a small generator set with Weichai genset 24kwopen type 3 phase 4 wire. 24V DC Weichai diesel generator set 20KW.jpg
2018-8-16
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Starlight Power Posted at 2018-8-16 18:49
Honda generator is famous generator and it also has a good performance and quality. I also have a small generator set with Weichai genset 24kwopen type 3 phase 4 wire. 24V DC[view_image][view_image]

24kwopen type 3 phase 4 wire. 24V DC

Summary, complete overkill for what OP is looking for.

2018-8-16
Use props
Giovanni6
New

India

If you want to change your 240V generator with inverter generator then you find lot of good options available. You have to check all options that suits you and read that inverter review. I found a site inverterreview.com provide valuable information on different brand inverters.
2019-2-20
Use props
zergurush
lvl.1

Sweden

Hello Silverhammer,

I'm sorry but I can't open your other topic, it seems removed.

As for your questions:

1. Yeah, seems a good option to pick
2. Probably you may need some cables to use it properly
3. If your plans to get and use generator at home, if you think you may fail to sell it or something else, then I advise you to read this guide and pick the suitable one. As for what I heard, Generac seems one of the stable brands
4. Usually, 1-3h should be enough to fully charge, but it depends on your batteries age, it types, capacity, and other device's specifications!

I hope it may help

Cheers,
Zergurush
2019-2-27
Use props
zergurush
lvl.1

Sweden

zergurush Posted at 2-27 21:11
Hello Silverhammer,

I'm sorry but I can't open your other topic, it seems removed.

<a >Generator for home</a> if you interested to extend your knowledge about generators
2019-2-27
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i believe it should work - charging time might take a little bit longer - you might consider purchasing and extra charging hub/s so that you can charge multiple batteries at the same time thereby reducing the required run time of the generator
2019-2-27
Use props
Zackery
New

India

There are inverters that have a power switchover and a battery charger, so you can connect your generator to the inverter, the batteries to your inverter, and plug in everything to the inverter, if you do not have your generator on, power will come from the batteries, if your generator on, the inverter will automatically run your equipment straight from the generator and charge your batteries. inverterreview.com
2019-4-4
Use props
Daniel6569
New

I found several selections for you, I am sure you can find a suitable generator for future trips and for home. The pen link points to generators for the home, this will help you save more and your family. The second link points to portable generators for nature.
house generatorcamping generators
2019-10-14
Use props
Daniel6569
New

Sorry, I was unable to send the previous message correctly.
I found several selections for you, I am sure you can find a suitable generator for future trips and for home. The pen link points to generators for the home, this will help you save more and your family. The second link points to portable generators for nature.
1) https://generatoron.org/best-whole-house-generator/
2) https://reviewsforest.com/best-camping-generators/
2019-10-14
Use props
fans48f0c1a5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2278898 ft

A Honda 10i would do everything you need. 2 litre tank 4 to 8 hours run time 1/3rd litre to 1/2litre consumption, low noise, light weight, 900 watts output and 12volt 8 amp output. I am on my second one the first one lasted 7 years and still going but smoking and was used on average 3 hours a day. Changed oil once a month and spark plug every 800 hours. The only issue would be the weight cost on a plane. Cost £750 approx but there are cheaper copies.
2019-10-15
Use props
GwenR
New

United States

Not so far time ago i've bought generator for home use. Electricity in my house often switches off, but i need it to be 24/7 because i work at home as a designer. On another forum i was recommended to buy a Rockpals 300W . I purchased it, and i have no problems with it now, i forgot about troubles with electricity, hope forever I think this generator will manage with batteries.
In this review there are 9 generators, they are described, and there are pros and cons of each one of them. Maybe you'll like another one.
https://generatoron.org/best-solar-generator/
2019-10-22
Use props
Sarina33
lvl.1

Pakistan

am also looking fot it
2022-5-26
Use props
veryken
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8665 ft
United States

Seems any generator would work — just get the smallest with AC outlet.
2022-5-30
Use props
Sarina33
lvl.1

United States

The generator you found on thor.is should work to charge all your batteries. You won't need any additional devices, as it has inverter technology for connecting sensitive electrical equipment. The charging time for your Mavic batteries will depend on their capacity and the charging rate of the generator. Ensure you have the appropriate charging cables for your devices. Consider safety precautions and noise levels when operating the generator. It's advisable to check with the seller or manufacturer for any specific guidelines.
2023-5-20
Use props
digibud
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7820246 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow...I fly all day here and there using 5 Mav3 Batteries and two cigarette lighter chargers that each have 100watts available with 2 USB-C and one USBQ ports. By continually charging each battery after use and cycling through them I am able to fly all day  but admittedly I am traveling from place to place during a long day. You can only charge batteries so fast so unless you can hookup more batteries to your charger while getting a full charge from each port you won't speed up your charging.  There aren't too many battery chargers on the market that will output a full charge to even two Mavic Pro batteries let alone all the gear you envision. Not even a generator will do that. Look over generators. Try to find one that has two USB-C that do...what is is...65Watts for the batteries? I'm not sure they are out there and what you would find in Iceland...well...it's going to be a challenge.  If you can find a car that has two cigarette lighter charger sockets and pickup two of these.... https://www.amazon.com/Charger-W ... cs%2C182&sr=1-4  you will at least have two full charging options and ports for your phone, etc.  Many of today's cars don't have such cig chargers but you would be way ahead if you could find one that had two of them. A 100AC charger isn't too hard to find on some models...
2023-5-20
Use props
Sarina33
lvl.1

United States

The generator you found on Thor.is seems to be a suitable solution for charging your batteries during your two-week camping trip in Iceland. With a maximum power output of 1.0 kVA and a working output of 0.9 kVA, it should have enough capacity to charge all your batteries. The generator features inverter technology, making it safe to connect sensitive electrical equipment like phones and computers directly. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines while operating the generator. Find a safe and well-ventilated location to use it, and be mindful of any potential flammable hazards. As for the charging time, it will depend on factors such as battery capacity and the specific charger you plan to use. Typically, it takes around 60-70 minutes to charge a Mavic Pro battery from 0% to 100% with the official charger. Charging all four batteries simultaneously may take a bit longer due to shared power, so it's advisable to allocate a couple of hours to ensure all batteries reach a full charge.
2023-5-29
Use props
Sarina33
lvl.1

United States

The generator you found on thor.is seems to be a suitable solution for charging your batteries during your two-week camping trip in Iceland. With a maximum power output of 1.0 kVA and a working output of 0.9 kVA, it should have enough capacity to charge all your batteries. The [https://generatorsadvisor.com/
]generator[/url] features inverter technology, making it safe to connect sensitive electrical equipment like phones and computers directly. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines while operating the generator. Find a safe and well-ventilated location to use it, and be mindful of any potential flammable hazards. As for the charging time, it will depend on factors such as battery capacity and the specific charger you plan to use. Typically, it takes around 60-70 minutes to charge a Mavic Pro battery from 0% to 100% with the official charger. Charging all four batteries simultaneously may take a bit longer due to shared power, so it's advisable to allocate a couple of hours to ensure all batteries reach a full charge.
2023-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules