Mavic Air Low Noise Props?
16554 18 2018-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Iron Drone
lvl.1
United States

Anyone try these yet? I'd like to lower the noise level on my Air and haven't seen many if any options. Is aftermarket frowned upon as far as props go? I'd hate to lose/crash due to aftermarket parts. Thoughts?
2018-3-13
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Do a Google on this, and you'll find several videos where folks have tested it.  My observation is that those popular Vlogers aren't real fond of those props.
2018-3-13
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They don't appear to have the design elements that make a low noise prop, the winglet being the obvious one. I wouldn't use them. Just wish DJI would look into this for the air though.
2018-3-13
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Seriously, you find the Mavic Air noisy!

I find the sound of the little fella coming back somewhat comforting and only then because he is close to home and more like an angry bee than loud.
2018-3-13
Use props
Iron Drone
lvl.1
United States

I don't find it obnoxiously loud but only see positives in getting it as quiet as possible without sacrificing tons of performance.
2018-3-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, Mavic Air does not support low noise propellers at the moment, we don't recommend flying with the unauthorized third-party accessories since the reliability can't be assured. Thank you for your understanding and your support.
2018-3-13
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Work fine on the MP. Quieter and nice and stable.
2018-3-14
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

The sound of the Mavic Air is attributed to the KV of the motors. They spin at a much higher RPM than a phantom ( which I believe is 960kv on the phantom). The KV relates to  "100 revolutions per volt, per minute. So a phantom at 960 kv on a 4 cell pack, Would be .... 14.8 volts times 960 =14,208 rotations per minute. Now take the kv of the mavic air and multiply it by 11.1 volts (3 cell pack) and you will see what the rpm is. My race quad is a beast I have it on 4 cell 14.8 volt with 2700 kv emax motors with 5" props... 39,960 RPM Now that quad makes the Mavic air sound like a phantom,. Prop pitch & lenght is the only way to change the sound a little but but not by much and there are other trade offs when you start messing with length and pitch. It is what it is.
2018-3-14
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-13 18:31
Hi there, Mavic Air does not support low noise propellers at the moment, we don't recommend flying with the unauthorized third-party accessories since the reliability can't be assured. Thank you for your understanding and your support.

Here's my story.
I bought a set of aftermarket prop from an online company what a misstake.
Did a hover no problem flew out about 20 feet and about 15 feet high and they came off.
Spark feel to the ground ended up getting an error 71
I did a factory reset and all was good I think I lucked out on this one reading all the error 71 horror stories.

Lesson learned stick with DJI factory props.
2018-3-14
Use props
Entropia666
lvl.3
Flight distance : 249088 ft
France

Bill B Posted at 2018-3-14 06:16
The sound of the Mavic Air is attributed to the KV of the motors. They spin at a much higher RPM than a phantom ( which I believe is 960kv on the phantom). The KV relates to  "100 revolutions per volt, per minute. So a phantom at 960 kv on a 4 cell pack, Would be .... 14.8 volts times 960 =14,208 rotations per minute. Now take the kv of the mavic air and multiply it by 11.1 volts (3 cell pack) and you will see what the rpm is. My race quad is a beast I have it on 4 cell 14.8 volt with 2700 kv emax motors with 5" props... 39,960 RPM Now that quad makes the Mavic air sound like a phantom,. Prop pitch & lenght is the only way to change the sound a little but but not by much and there are other trade offs when you start messing with length and pitch. It is what it is.

Actually the pitch and diameter determine the RPM at hovering or at a given speed, not the motor KV. This will just determine how much throttle will be needed to hover.
2018-3-14
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Entropia666 Posted at 2018-3-14 09:27
Actually the pitch and diameter determine the RPM at hovering or at a given speed, not the motor KV. This will just determine how much throttle will be needed to hover.

Nope, not correct, The amount of voltage delivered to the motors through the throttle setting determine the RPM of the motors it is calculated with the KV of the motor and the voltage present at any given time. All the throttle does is apply voltage to the motors through the ESC (electronic speed controller) this determines the RPM. My calculations given in the first response were at full throttle with a fully charged pack. Prop pitch and diameter only equate to the lift and torque. (momentum) They have nothing to do with the motor RPMs, and there is the rub, changing the pitch and diameter of the prop will change the performance of the quad, The steeper the pitch angle the more torque, the more the torque, the faster it reacts to throttle input. All these factors determine performance and flight time. It is a delicate balance to deliver both. DJI does a good job of it. But there is no "snake oil" prop out there that will magically quiet the MA. It's KV and voltage will determine the noise level. Next time your flying give the quad a good punch out. You'll hear the rpms come up as the voltage increases. If your statment was correct the quad without any props on it would never spin the motors faster when you added throttle. And that simply is not the case.
2018-3-14
Use props
Entropia666
lvl.3
Flight distance : 249088 ft
France

Bill B Posted at 2018-3-14 10:14
Nope, not correct, The amount of voltage delivered to the motors through the throttle setting determine the RPM of the motors it is calculated with the KV of the motor and the voltage present at any given time. All the throttle does is apply voltage to the motors through the ESC (electronic speed controller) this determines the RPM. My calculations given in the first response were at full throttle with a fully charged pack. Prop pitch and diameter only equate to the lift and torque. (momentum) They have nothing to do with the motor RPMs, and there is the rub, changing the pitch and diameter of the prop will change the performance of the quad, The steeper the pitch angle the more torque, the more the torque, the faster it reacts to throttle input. All these factors determine performance and flight time. It is a delicate balance to deliver both. DJI does a good job of it. But there is no "snake oil" prop out there that will magically quiet the MA. It's KV and voltage will determine the noise level. Next time your flying give the quad a good punch out. You'll hear the rpms come up as the voltage increases. If your statment was correct the quad without any props on it would never spin the motors faster when you added throttle. And that simply is not the case.

Sorry Bill, my statement is correct when comparing hovering or typical forward speed situations. Given the weight of the quad, the RPM for hovering are detemined by diameter/pitch.
Does it make sense to compare full throttle noise?  Not much
2018-3-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

sky6105 Posted at 2018-3-14 07:52
Here's my story.
I bought a set of aftermarket prop from an online company what a misstake.
Did a hover no problem flew out about 20 feet and about 15 feet high and they came off.

Sorry to hear this. Does the drone damage by the crash? If there is a need, you can send the drone in for an overall check. Please contact our support for a further help: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-16
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-16 03:02
Sorry to hear this. Does the drone damage by the crash? If there is a need, you can send the drone in for an overall check. Please contact our support for a further help: http://www.dji.com/support

No damage.
2018-3-16
Use props
ash2020
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I've tried them and I don't believe there's any difference in the noise or the batt life. So, not worth the risk really.
2018-8-16
Use props
Klaus W.
Second Officer
Flight distance : 118366 ft
Germany

Would buy quieter props right away since drones are the new MTBs for the dreaded German yelling hikers...
2018-11-13
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

M2Wair Posted at 3-13 13:17
Seriously, you find the Mavic Air noisy!

I find the sound of the little fella coming back somewhat comforting and only then because he is close to home and more like an angry bee than loud.

John,

I agree with you, however there are a bunch of drone-haters that are "attracted" by the swarm of bees

This does make an option of less "noisy" propellers seem attractive.
2018-11-27
Use props
Jemmerr3
lvl.1

United States

2019-3-14
Use props
Davide Marinoni
lvl.1

Italy

here mi review (in italian language - sorry) of the low noise props: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsY-WyjzKqc
2019-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules