Posts that are Labeled "Digest"
1397 23 2018-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Can anyone explain what "Digest" means when added next to the title of a post?   I have seen some posts that end up being more than five pages with some really good information and discussion in the thread...and over time become "Digest".  But today there's a beginner's first video and after one day it's labelled "Digest".  I don't want to take anything away from him and his enthusiasm, but there are some amazing videos/posts out there with some really creative cinematography and editing...others with pages of discussion and information...none of which get the "Digest" label.   Just askin....
2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is added by one of the admins. After that somebody else decides if it fits the forum front page.
2018-3-13
Use props
FarmerMac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

One of my first video's got that label when posted. Im one of those beginners your
are talking about.
2018-3-13
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

it's a marketing strategy. as long as your face doesn't show up in a video, there are very low chances to be marked as "digest".
the idea is to demonstrate there are REAL people using this technology, it is user friendly and it can be used by anyone.
good catch.
2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

dj_dread Posted at 2018-3-13 11:58
it's a marketing strategy. as long as your face doesn't show up in a video, there are very low chances to be marked as "digest".
the idea is to demonstrate there are REAL people using this technology, it is user friendly and it can be used by anyone.
good catch.

I think they do use this as advertisement (and they should) but there are also a lot of 'just beautiful' threads without faces on the front page.
It does change from time to time, but I usually see a lot of great footage on the frontpage.
2018-3-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

Thanks for the info...I just wondered what criteria was used and what the term meant.  About the same time a guy and his girl travelled to the US and posted "My Video from USA (Spark Shots)" which I thought was a great video with excellent editing and great response from the forum but no recognition.  Also the post from the guy who flew out 10,000' (albeit past VLOS), created much discussion and passing of information and in my opinion was noteworthy...not to mention 6 pages of responses.
2018-3-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

I'm definitely going to start using the Upvote/Downvote icons...although I really don't know what they do and how my vote counts.  DJI could be better at passing on information.  Maybe they need an admin post that stays at the top of the posts explaining the nuances of the forum.
2018-3-13
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Romania

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-13 12:39
I think they do use this as advertisement (and they should) but there are also a lot of 'just beautiful' threads without faces on the front page.
It does change from time to time, but I usually see a lot of great footage on the frontpage.

not trying to argue with the policies here. just trying to explain to Rustic one of the reasons, in my opinion, that are triggering such decision
2018-3-13
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Romania

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-3-13 13:05
Thanks for the info...I just wondered what criteria was used and what the term meant.  About the same time a guy and his girl travelled to the US and posted "My Video from USA (Spark Shots)" which I thought was a great video with excellent editing and great response from the forum but no recognition.  Also the post from the guy who flew out 10,000' (albeit past VLOS), created much discussion and passing of information and in my opinion was noteworthy...not to mention 6 pages of responses.

i think it's a point of view. depending on what they want to promote more on a day/week/month basis.
all your points are valid. it may be also a matter of culture interpretation. probably the best way would be to like/subscribe those people channels if you find anything interesting.
anyway, i salute your post!
2018-3-13
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Romania

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-3-13 13:05

and then it's about the "artist" eye. i can see something in my footage or pictures that someone else cannot pick. we should encourage newbies to explore and share

it happened to me when i bought a new camera. one of my kids said let's take a photo of the entrance door. and i said nah, that doesn't mean anything. but after one hour i was thinking..what the hell..it was his eye catching something. why i did not let him take the picture instead of me.

so the guy you are referring to saw something. we must appreciate his enthusiasm!

just sayin'

i still salute your post
2018-3-13
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

it also means that you get 600 forum points, which is worth like $3 in DJI credit!
2018-3-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

dj_dread Posted at 2018-3-13 13:23
not trying to argue with the policies here. just trying to explain to Rustic one of the reasons, in my opinion, that are triggering such decision

Me neither.
I sometimes wonder too.
2018-3-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No set criteria - DJI moderators and Administrators view content that forum members post and they decide if it's good enough to be marked as Digest. They email the member to gain their permission to add it to the front page of the forum and award 600 points to the member for doing it. Being marked as digest is entirely down to the discretion of the mods and only they will be able to give you their rationale for publishing it.
2018-3-13
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

For amazing/creative cinematography and editing, aren't we looking for a photography forum.  This is a Spark forum that is mostly beginners with their first drone.  So, I put it that the beginner enthusiast video is more "digest" than pro photographers hopping to become a star with Youtube vlogs.  Or worse, hoping to become a star by flying the Spark on record breaking long distance flights across the nation's airspace.
2018-3-13
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

I don't think that DJI is interested in "beginner" quality content though.
2018-3-13
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Romania

I would say this thread to be marked as a "digest"
2018-3-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

I just asked the question because I didn't know what Digest was for...I thought if they highlighted something it must have been for excellence which I don't think the initial video I referenced was.  It was good for a first attempt and if Digest is used to encourage people, the labeling was appropriate.  On the otherhand, there should be a way for DJI to reward people that consistently present quality video/information for us all to enjoy/learn from...Kloo Gee comes to mind...and SCoutts who recently posted two videos on exposure.  
2018-3-13
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
United States

I just noticed "My Video from USA (Spark Shots)" garnered the coveted "Digest" label!!!  He really did a good job on that video.
2018-3-14
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Romania

that's progress
2018-3-14
Use props
Mara42
lvl.4
Flight distance : 245440 ft
Czechia

Thank you for recognition Rustic. I think, that this "Digest" showed up just few hours after I had posted my video here. I checked the front page as I though that my video was picked, but I was not able to find it anywhere. So basically that's why I asked what exactly does that mean :-)
2018-3-14
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

As far as faces go.... I shoot stills, never with people in them.
Cityscapes as they are known and have had a few of my posts marked digest.
So, as others have mentioned, it is entirely up to the moderators as to what qualifies a post as digest.
The eye of the beholder.....
2018-3-14
Use props
michandr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 237034 ft
Russia

Thanks for the info!
I got such Digest lebel yetsrerday for my sunset video and was curious. :-)

Best Regards,
Andrey
2018-3-22
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've had a few digest tags but never a promotion to the front page.
2018-4-4
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2018-4-4 10:00
I've had a few digest tags but never a promotion to the front page.

I thought the digest label indicated that it was on the front page. Now I'm wondering what the digest is.
2018-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules