Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Improvement to DJI camera
1475 12 2015-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shrtfnn
New

United States

I captured some footage in Bakersfield, CA with wind gust @ 20-25 Mph. Is there a way to improve the stablization of the DJI camera and gimble for the sudden wind gust? What i've notice: Camera head shakes and sudden Camera head jerk.

2015-5-5
Use props
Scotflieger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26875098 ft
United Kingdom

Avoid flying in strong windy and gusty conditions?   20-25 mph is at the upper limit of safe flying conditions and unsuitable for filming.   
2015-5-5
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

I'm sorry, but this is the most ridiculous question ever...
I was flying in the rain, is there anyway to avoid my Inspire 1 getting wet?
How about not fly in the rain...
Really???
2015-5-5
Use props
kevin
lvl.1

United States

super secret hollywood trick...call for another take and shoot it again, and again until you get what you like.  If you're shooting live action, then that's just a shot that won't make the edit
2015-5-5
Use props
dbeck
lvl.4

United States

kevin@thinkpsa. Posted at 2015-5-6 02:57
super secret hollywood trick...call for another take and shoot it again, and again until you get wha ...

HA..love ti...
2015-5-5
Use props
shrtfnn
New

United States

yes - ideally you would want to capture footage with no wind conditions but mother nature isn't so thoughtful especially a 4 hour drive to the site. These are sudden wind gust when you are up 150'-200'. On the ground level, there's no wind. Out of my 20 min footage, i captured a couple of good small camera head jerks. Overall the inspire GPS did a great job at the flight stabilization. But, I believe the sudden gust jerked the camera head and/or gimbal. The camera unit seems to be very sensitive to the touch and/or bounce. Anyone try a gyro-stablizer for improvement, like the movi freefly?

Making improvements on the current old dog is the difference between being innovative and sit around saying that will have to do. Sorry, I don't sit around and say that will ever do.
2015-5-5
Use props
shrtfnn
New

United States

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-5-6 02:18
I'm sorry, but this is the most ridiculous question ever...
I was flying in the rain, is there anywa ...

That isn't far off....How about making a wetsuit for the inspire? Camrade anyone? I can guarantee someone will buy one, if they make it. Innovation isn't your strong point.
2015-5-5
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Anyone try a gyro-stablizer for improvement, like the movi freefly?

That's what would be needed, and the problem is that the weight of the kind of gyro needed to stabilize in that strong a wind gust would require a far larger aircraft with the lifting power necessary to carry the added weight of the heavier gyro.  There are going to be physical limitations to small drones.  As Scotty used to say on the old Star Trek - "Laddie - ya canna' change the laws o' physics."
2015-5-5
Use props
Farnk666
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

PeteGould Posted at 2015-5-6 06:35
That's what would be needed, and the problem is that the weight of the kind of gyro needed to stabi ...

+1 As awesome as the I1 is, we need to keep a set of realistic expectations as to its capabilities, especially in terms of flight capabilities in various weather conditions. I have been very pleased with how my bird handles gusty weather, but would certainly expect some movement in that sort of wind.

Can you edit around the movement?  
2015-5-5
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

What camera mode were you in?   Some modes don't compensate for sudden motion.   
2015-5-5
Use props
shrtfnn
New

United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-5-6 09:18
+1 As awesome as the I1 is, we need to keep a set of realistic expectations as to its capabilities ...

oh yeah. I can edit cut but im good. Like I said there were a couple of small jerks and shakes, most of the footage is very smooth. I didn't want to ruin a good run with a fade out/in for just a mil. second.
2015-5-6
Use props
shrtfnn
New

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-6 14:27
What camera mode were you in?   Some modes don't compensate for sudden motion.

mmmm.. good question. I believe I was in Follow mode.
2015-5-6
Use props
jimhare
lvl.4
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

shrtfnn Posted at 2015-5-7 02:19
mmmm.. good question. I believe I was in Follow mode.

If it turns out you were FPV that would explain your results as the gimbal wasn't trying to smooth it out.

I would retest.  I can shoot in heavy winds and it still looks like the camera is locked on a crane.
2015-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules