Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Fly Away Tello - Right out of the box
15385 32 2018-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans5194a6b3
lvl.1
United States

[size=25.440000534057617px]I’m so POed[size=25.440000534057617px]

[size=25.440000534057617px]Before you buy read; and if you do, do not fly 1st in the open, do it indoors where you can catch a potential runaway....
[size=25.440000534057617px]

Received my Tello today, picked up from FedEx office, charged battery to about 50% - 60%
The app prompted me to update the firmware, so I did
Connected to drone’s WiFi
Once connected, I saw I had video right away, so I was ready to go
I went to my community’s front office. They have a good size parking lot (cul de sac) and with plenty of light
I used a landing pad on the flat concrete
Performed take off...
As soon as it took off, it just flew straight and into the huge field next to the parking lot (without me going forward)
I had video (so I must of had some connection, at least to the camera)
Tried to turn it, no response
Tried to land, several times, no response...
Once I saw I had no control, I tried to chase it... but lost it, it just kept going straight.....
Searched for it for over an hour, in an ample field (no drone)
I have flown drones for about four years
I own a DJI Spark, a couple Holy Stones and various mini drones
I’m registered with FAA and also member of AMA (as everyone should be)
I have good knowledge of drones, best practices and safety....
No (good) drone is supposed to just fly forward upon take off.... specially this one (DJI technology, as well as Intel…)
I’M SO DISAPPOINTED (I feel robbed (US$ 100.00)) as I was so excited about this drone
What was to be a great highlight of my day turned to be the opposite
The software and or the hardware is junk... at least on that drone (unit)  in particular

2018-3-13
Use props
Rodador
lvl.3
Flight distance : 427520 ft
United States

So sorry for your loss, all I can say is I'd keep looking. Good luck!
2018-3-13
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good to know. I guess I'll fly it inside.
2018-3-13
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

It took me some Google searching to understand your post; I didn't know about this new product by DJI. Sorry about your experience, it "should" have landed on its own as soon as it has lost connection, shouldn't it? That's what it says on the main page, it's one of its main features. From what you've written, the connection was still good while it was flying away (you had a working video link); was it set up to use your phone's sensors to control the drone's movements? That can be sketchy or work really well, depending on the implementation and if there's latency or not...

Btw I guess DJI really had to come up with something, with all these cheap Spark clones on the market...
2018-3-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Very sorry to hear your loss. I suggest that you contact Tello's support for further help. https://www.ryzerobotics.com/support
2018-3-14
Use props
MJLSTUDIOS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Received my Tello today, picked up from FedEx office, charged battery to about 50% - 60%

Maybe you should have charged the battery to 100%, do the update, recharge the battery to 100% before the first flight?
2018-3-14
Use props
fans5194a6b3
lvl.1
United States

MJLSTUDIOS Posted at 2018-3-14 04:16

The update took less than 10 seconds (it was fast). In hindsight I could have taken many measures, flown it at home so that it wouldn’t of flown away. However, the product was designed to be flown outdoors. 50% battery is more than good enough to fly (drone had at least 50% battery at take off(I think it had 58%, it was so quick and I was so upset, that the exact number when I initially wrote didn’t come to mind), solid status light and live video) Take off was smooth and straight (motors sounded strong for the little guy) but than it went rogue right away...
2018-3-14
Use props
fans5194a6b3
lvl.1
United States

KurtVD Posted at 2018-3-14 00:17
It took me some Google searching to understand your post; I didn't know about this new product by DJI. Sorry about your experience, it "should" have landed on its own as soon as it has lost connection, shouldn't it? That's what it says on the main page, it's one of its main features. From what you've written, the connection was still good while it was flying away (you had a working video link); was it set up to use your phone's sensors to control the drone's movements? That can be sketchy or work really well, depending on the implementation and if there's latency or not...

Btw I guess DJI really had to come up with something, with all these cheap Spark clones on the market...

I love my Spark (awesome thus far) The Tello on paper looked awesome, reviews as well (YouTube, etc) Dont know why mine went rogue
2018-3-14
Use props
fans5194a6b3
lvl.1
United States

fans5194a6b3 Posted at 2018-3-14 06:00
The update took less than 10 seconds (it was fast). In hindsight I could have taken many measures, flown it at home so that it wouldn’t of flown away. However, the product was designed to be flown outdoors. 50% battery is more than good enough to fly (drone had at least 50% battery at take off(I think it had 58%, it was so quick and I was so upset, that the exact number when I initially wrote didn’t come to mind), solid status light and live video) Take off was smooth and straight (motors sounded strong for the little guy) but than it went rogue right away...

Correction (addition): “outdoors and indoors
2018-3-14
Use props
fans5194a6b3
lvl.1
United States

Update: Continued my search this morning... for a good while.  No Tello…
I was speaking to my brother about what happened, how upset I was and am…
He feels that I’m coming on too strong, that I should play nice with DJI and or Ryze…
Facts are facts, my drone was not supposed to (designed) to go forward (on its own) right after take-off
The environment and the drone’s status, connectivity, everything CHECKED…
This is a hard case I believe, as I don’t think there is any trace / log of my Tello’s sole (only) flight (for all DJI and or Ryze Robotics know, someone could of fabricated such story)
I’m hoping that my purchase history (while not huge, but at least decent, as this is about as much information available to the sellers) shows in some way my character as a customer and hobbyist
If anything, I hope this information helps our drone community
And to recap, facts are facts... something was majorly (technically) wrong with that unit from the beginning (hope DJI / Ryze do the right thing)
2018-3-14
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. Sorry for your lost. I would recommend you contact the support of Tello to deal with it: https://www.ryzerobotics.com/. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-3-14
Use props
Gunship9
lvl.4
United States

I thought the Tello was an indoor drone.  Too light weight to handle any kind of outdoor winds.  One thing about downward vision systems is that they need something to look at.  The parking lot may be too uniform to tell the drone is moving over it.  Or, does this thing just use accelerometers to tell it is moving.  Why it ignored turn commands or landing commands is a good question.
2018-3-14
Use props
fans5194a6b3
lvl.1
United States

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-14 20:24
I thought the Tello was an indoor drone.  Too light weight to handle any kind of outdoor winds.  One thing about downward vision systems is that they need something to look at.  The parking lot may be too uniform to tell the drone is moving over it.  Or, does this thing just use accelerometers to tell it is moving.  Why it ignored turn commands or landing commands is a good question.

Exactly. If it’s sensors failed , do to environment or malfunction; it also ignored my commands to turn and land...
2018-3-15
Use props
fans5194a6b3
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-14 19:48
Hi, there. Sorry for your lost. I would recommend you contact the support of Tello to deal with it: https://www.ryzerobotics.com/. Thanks for your understanding.

I have, twice... no response yet from Ryze....
2018-3-15
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans5194a6b3 Posted at 2018-3-15 04:30
I have, twice... no response yet from Ryze....

I see. Hope your problem will be solved soon.
2018-3-15
Use props
Jetta-The-Hut
lvl.3

I've heard nothing but good things about Ryze's customer support, have you heard anything?
2018-3-29
Use props
ArtistGQ
lvl.1
United States

Jetta-The-Hut Posted at 2018-3-29 17:19
I've heard nothing but good things about Ryze's customer support, have you heard anything?

Yes... I’ve been in contact. They took awhile to respond and then some more to give me anything concrete... I’m now waiting on a phone call from them within the next 24hrs. Let’s see what comes next...

I did go out and buy another one @ Walmart. Maybe shouldn’t done it (given that I haven’t been shown the same “love” back from Ryze, as of yet...  Been flying it indoors, it’s great thus far. So, the Tello is legit (indoors at least) We shall see how their customer support does...  Stay tuned
2018-3-29
Use props
Jetta-The-Hut
lvl.3

I can't wait to get mine, I'm interested in the programing and maybe doing some modding to it.
2018-3-29
Use props
ArtistGQ
lvl.1
United States

Jetta-The-Hut Posted at 2018-3-29 18:45
I can't wait to get mine, I'm interested in the programing and maybe doing some modding to it.

My 1st experience was awful, as stated  (it flew away just like that)

However, my recent purchase of a 2nd Tello it’s been great:

I need to play with the programming too. The response is solid from the phone and even better with Nimbus controller. It hovers nicely and in place, maneuvers great inside the house. My 8yr old seems a lot more interested in it than my other drones (Spark, Inductrix, Eachine and my Holy Stones...) This is a great drone (it’s definitely worth the $100), as I originally expected (of course except for the lemon I 1st got)

It doesn’t do very well when the lights aren’t nice and bright... that being one of my knocks

Play it inside until you feel comfortable to take it outdoors (perhaps Im scorned because of the fly away; on the other hand I’ve seen a handful of YouTubers fly outside just fine)

Let me know how you fair when you get yours

Cheers
2018-3-29
Use props
Jetta-The-Hut
lvl.3

I would love to do a head to head with Eachine E58 and the Tello. I'm tempted to buy both. I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the drones not going very far away.  I don't want to go up so much as out a good ways.
2018-3-29
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

ArtistGQ Posted at 2018-3-29 19:04
My 1st experience was awful, as stated  (it flew away just like that)

However, my recent purchase of a 2nd Tello it’s been great:

Yes...my house is sooooo freakin' dim...it struggles indoors for me because of this most of the time.  We just have poor lighting.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2018-3-29
Use props
djiuser_kHEP4xgpktHX
New

United States

Todd in Chicago Posted at 2018-3-29 19:24
Yes...my house is sooooo freakin' dim...it struggles indoors for me because of this most of the time.  We just have poor lighting.

Cheers...

i was flying it and was no wing out of nowhere my drone start flying hihg and high i close the app but the drone keedp going up
2018-6-12
Use props
djiuser_kHEP4xgpktHX
New

United States

Todd in Chicago Posted at 2018-3-29 19:24

Cheers...

i was flying it and was no wing out of nowhere my drone start flying hihg and high i close the app but the drone keedp going up
http://tthu.
2018-6-12
Use props
Bummerboy
lvl.1

Singapore

mine flew away too... it just wouldnt stop moving by itself, at 9m, and when i lost sight of it, the app says it is landing
tried to find the wifi signal within 50m radius, but gone.

one thing, it definitely flew faster on its own!
2018-9-19
Use props
djiuser_znV0rbwcPtPI
lvl.2

United States

I realize this thread is a bit dated, but I wanted to offer some advice.

First is to fully charge your battery before you attempt an update.

Second and perhaps more important. AFTER you update your clone you should ALWAYS verify the drones functions in a controlled environment.  Indoors is preferable. It's always a possibility that an update will become corrupted during the process and that can cause one of MANY issues, one of which is the fly away you experienced.
2018-12-28
Use props
Marta
New

Spain

Hi, I had a similar situation, but after an upgrade. I was asked to do an update of the firmware and when I did, then I use my tello and it got an erratic behavior and got lost. I have asked the support, they asked for the logs and they told me that they don't see anything wrong, that I could get a 10% discount for a new one. I cannot believe that they could answer this. Someone knows how to read the logs? I would like to read them myself, to prove that the drone was faulty. Thanks
2019-8-25
Use props
Marta
New

Spain

djiuser_znV0rbwcPtPI Posted at 2018-12-28 05:37
I realize this thread is a bit dated, but I wanted to offer some advice.

First is to fully charge your battery before you attempt an update.

Hi,
It would have been very useful if the instructions of tello would have had this information. But I cannot believe that a company does not take responsibility after an abnomal behavior of their product.
2019-8-25
Use props
Marta
New

Spain

Bummerboy Posted at 2018-9-19 21:39
mine flew away too... it just wouldnt stop moving by itself, at 9m, and when i lost sight of it, the app says it is landing
tried to find the wifi signal within 50m radius, but gone.

The exact same happened to me. Did you try to contact support? Did they help you? I tried, but they told me that the logs were fine, that there was nothing wrong. I could not believe their answer... It is just insulting.
2019-8-25
Use props
Marta
New

Spain

djiuser_kHEP4xgpktHX Posted at 2018-6-12 21:22
tthu.

The same happened to me. Did you contact the support? I a guessing they ignore you like the did with me. :-(
2019-8-25
Use props
Marta
New

Spain

Jetta-The-Hut Posted at 2018-3-29 17:19

really?? My experience was really bad.
2019-8-25
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's why I fly Mr. Tello straight only as one of my preferred indoor quadcopters???
2019-8-25
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft
Canada

Sorry you lost your Tello, I have one, so far no problem. Keep on looking it can't be too far away. Good luck.
2019-8-25
Use props
djiuser_EMOqYlMn2eTN
New

United Kingdom

Same here it goes straight up into the air right after takeoff no idea why
2020-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules