Inspire 2 Firmware Issue with X5s
1353 9 2018-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sasmsmith
lvl.2
Flight distance : 59196 ft
United States

Recently received a new Inspire 2 in the mail, and updated it with a new X5s, and the update seems to be causing an issue with the gimbal. The feed is rotated 90 degrees clockwise and the camera pans back and forth non-stop. I have tested the same camera on an M210-RTK and it works fine with no problems, as it did with the Inspire 2 before a firmware update following an "Inconsistent Firmware" popup.

There is another forum post here in the Matrice 200 section with videos. If you want a video of this one, just watch the M200 videos but imagine it being an Inspire instead of a Matrice.

I have tried refreshing the latest firmware, resetting to factory defaults, and the 3 versions before the current on both the controller and the craft.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I will need it this upcoming Saturday.
2018-3-14
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Hi, I guess you have done all calibrations? IMU, compass and camera calibrations?
2018-3-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are sorry for the difficulties you are experiencing, you are updating and refreshing the firmware via DJI Assistant 2 right? How about calibrating the gimbal in Gimbal Settings? Do you have other cameras to have a test?
2018-3-15
Use props
sasmsmith
lvl.2
United States

Hi, I guess you have done all calibrations? IMU, compass and camera calibrations?

I have completed the IMU and compass calibrations, but the camera calibration doesn't initiate.

We are sorry for the difficulties you are experiencing, you are updating and refreshing the firmware via DJI Assistant 2 right? How about calibrating the gimbal in Gimbal Settings? Do you have other cameras to have a test?

Correct, all of the updating, downgrading, and refreshing of firmware is being done using the latest version of DJI Assistant 2. I have tried to the gimbal calibration a number of times, but it doesn't seem to initiate at all. I do get the visual feed, can change photo/video capture settings, and it does detect the correct lens, but none of the controls in Gimbal Settings function. Unfortunately, we do not have any other cameras to use as a test at the moment.
2018-3-15
Use props
sasmsmith
lvl.2
United States

Also, I'm not sure it this is related or not, but just after turning on the craft, the motor housing of the gimbal that is located directly behind the actual camera gets noticeably hot (not warm), and within a couple of minutes, will burn skin to the touch of it. I was of the assumption that this would heat up while in-use, but I didn't think it would rise in temperature nearly as fast, nor reach the kind of temperature it does.
2018-3-15
Use props
sasmsmith
lvl.2
United States

Update:

I powered it on a few times this morning, and found a way to semi-reliably get it functioning properly. If I power the craft on and let the camera and gimbal do it's little dance once, and then hold it in the correct position to not let it continue its swinging for a few seconds, it will then continue with the normal power-on procedure and function correctly. After it's completed the powering-on steps, I can then successfully run an auto gimbal calibration as well, but if I do so, power off, and then power on again, the same issue arises.
2018-3-15
Use props
Paul7of8c
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84140 ft
United States

I am a brand new I2/X5S owner and the X5S I received was doing exactly this. It eventually stopped the back-and-forth motion and would just go to one side on power up. Also got very hot to the touch (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread). I don’t have any other aircraft so I was not able to test the X5S on anything else.

Sent a video of the odd behavior to Advexure and they swapped it out for me immediately (treating the one I received as DOA). The replacement worked as expected the very first time and every time since (even after firmware update).
2018-3-17
Use props
fans2ed15f82
lvl.2
United States

Paul7of8c Posted at 2018-3-17 18:31
I am a brand new I2/X5S owner and the X5S I received was doing exactly this. It eventually stopped the back-and-forth motion and would just go to one side on power up. Also got very hot to the touch (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread). I don’t have any other aircraft so I was not able to test the X5S on anything else.

Sent a video of the odd behavior to Advexure and they swapped it out for me immediately (treating the one I received as DOA). The replacement worked as expected the very first time and every time since (even after firmware update).

I just bought an I2 and  an X5S.  Updated to the latest firmware and was all set to get out for some great video...
Wow, what a disappointment, the camera drifts constantly.  Impossible to get nice smooth shots.

So I start looking for a fix.  Seems that this is a common problem and it has been for quite some time.
This equipment has been out long enough for these problems to be worked out.  I am going to go through a reset and recalibration.  If this doesn't fix the problem the drone is going back to BestBuy and the camera is going back to B&H before it's too late.
2018-3-18
Use props
fans2ed15f82
lvl.2
United States

fans2ed15f82 Posted at 2018-3-18 01:49
I just bought an I2 and  an X5S.  Updated to the latest firmware and was all set to get out for some great video...
Wow, what a disappointment, the camera drifts constantly.  Impossible to get nice smooth shots.

And I should add...it will not be exchanged for another I2 with the same problem!!!
2018-3-18
Use props
sasmsmith
lvl.2
United States

It's unfortunate to see that others are experiencing the same issue. I know that DJI has supposedly released an updated version of the firmware for the M210 to fix this problem, so I'm hopeful that they are working on a fix for the I2 now.
2018-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules