Mavic Air Batteries Not Holding Charge?
15716 17 2018-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IrishCVG
lvl.1
United States

Hey all,

First time DJI owner so I don't have a lot of experience with the ins/outs of ownership. I bought the Fly More combo so I have 3 batteries.

After flying, I always plug in all 3 batteries and charge them up. After charging is complete for all 3, I load 1 into the Mavic Air and put the other 2 in the case. With the crazy spring weather, I can't fly that often yet, so the fully charged batteries tend to sit for a week or so without use. They are inside in my office at about 68 degrees F. Basically optimum storage between useage.

What I am noticing is that the next time I fly, the battery is at about 50-55% charge when I first power on the Mavic Air. The same goes for the other 2. So absolutely no useage in between fully charging and the next flight.

I do see that the batteries all achieve 100% charge if I charge overnight and fly the next day, so I don't think they are faulty.

What's the deal here? Do Mavic Air batteries drain when not being used? I imagine any battery (Mavic Air or otherwise) doesn't hold 100% charge when not in use, but a 50% drop in charge after a week seems EXTREMELY excessive. Wondering about others experienced more with DJI and their products, either the new Air or previous drones.
2018-3-15
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

hi, this could be normal behaviour. Check in your battery settings menu where you will discover an option for amount of time to discharge. it is not recommended to hold full charge in the battery for more than a few days because this has negative effect on battery cells and decreases the overall battery life. Therefore the option exists to automatically discharge after a certain amount of days (mine is set to 3 days) - this to protect general battery health and limit risk of self combustion or other risks. hope this helps - check out the options in your battery settings menu
2018-3-15
Use props
Mr. Information
lvl.3

Philippines

it's normal they have an auto discharge setting on dji go app
2018-3-15
Use props
pawel_g
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509268 ft
Poland

In Mavic Air there no setting in DJGo app. Discharge time is fixed to 10 days.

br, Pawel.
2018-3-15
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

U shouldnt be charging your batteries and letting them sit fully charged....not even 2 days....u should leave them in storage charge or 35 to 40% till the day u are ready to fly....things that make lipos go bad fast and lose life expectancy are: leaving fully charged for days....over discharging to below 10% all the time. And leaving them sit depleted ie 10%
2018-3-15
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Correct pawel so what he should do if he is not flying for a week is discharge them to 3.80 v (storage voltage....which equates to somewhere around 35 to 40%
2018-3-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, it is normal. Please refer to the manual below. auto discharge.png
2018-3-15
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Always good to read the manual
2018-3-15
Use props
vesman
New
Flight distance : 63963 ft
United States

I am having the same problem, which now I understand is not a problem.  I have been storing the batteries on the charger and am only getting 50% battery.  The last time I used it, I pulled the batteries out of the charger and put them back in to reset it and I still only got 50%.  
2019-7-8
Use props
fly less combo
lvl.1
Canada

Im having the same sort of problem . Try to charge the battery in the hub & i get a green light on the hub that turns yellow then blinks yellow & nothing shows on the battery lights . try to charge the battery without hub & i get one blinking green light next to the on button on the battery & it just keeps blinking its been blinking now for two days & the battery is still dead.  anyone got a fix as its only been charged up about 6 times I WAS STARTING TO LOVE THIS FLYLESS COMBO TILL THIS happned  Grrrr
2019-8-19
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795653 ft
Switzerland

I so wish people would read the manual for their new 'toy' before asking, what turn out to be, stupid questions & making ill-informed statements!
2019-8-19
Use props
djiuser_LOmXTNzppqP6
New
Flight distance : 12969 ft

United States

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 8-19 03:49
I so wish people would read the manual for their new 'toy' before asking, what turn out to be, stupid questions & making ill-informed statements!

What a punk comment to post..... it was a simple question from a user..... get a life douchebag
2019-12-25
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Switzerland

djiuser_LOmXTNzppqP6 Posted at 2019-12-25 17:36
What a punk comment to post..... it was a simple question from a user..... get a life douchebag

Wow - you must have had a GREAT Christmas day if all you could do was comment on an old thread!!  Happy New year to you!!
2020-1-2
Use props
fans5a1efdaa
New

United States

InvisibleName 7 Posted at 1-2 04:56
Wow - you must have had a GREAT Christmas day if all you could do was comment on an old thread!!  Happy New year to you!!

Only a complete tool says something like that on a forum post. I too found this searching for the same reason. Guess I should have read about my new “toy” before google searching right? Lots of words and phrases come to mind right now like asshat, douchebag, redneck, fuckstick, to name a few. Crawl back in your hole loser.
2020-1-19
Use props
InvisibleName 7
Second Officer
Switzerland

fans5a1efdaa Posted at 1-19 13:12
Only a complete tool says something like that on a forum post. I too found this searching for the same reason. Guess I should have read about my new “toy” before google searching right? Lots of words and phrases come to mind right now like asshat, douchebag, redneck, fuckstick, to name a few. Crawl back in your hole loser.

When's your next anger management course due???
2020-1-20
Use props
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

If losing a charge when not in use is considered to be smart then please tell me what a dumb battery is.
2021-3-17
Use props
jege41
lvl.2
Canada

I suspect that the voltage loss is due to some kind of a function taking place within the smart circuitry of the battery, probably a temperature monitoring process.
2021-3-17
Use props
Flyquest
New

United Kingdom

Yes, totally agree with the above about discharge on DJI Mavic air batteries and my flying has been so limited because of this with the way life is in this rat race. You don’t get time to either fly the drone or the weather is against you. Are you probably well aware with this global warming. There is very few windows now where we have nice weather and it says it’s safe to fly.

I’ve just woken up this morning. It was the first time in ages. It is safe to fly check. My battery is only 50%. I’ve had to put them all 5 on charge and missed the window. It’s going to be now no more time to fly.

This happens so often , as I have had to appeal to the Caa due to this legacy laws, trying to reduce our margin of license to fly. We pay out a couple of grand on buying these drones and all the other bits and pieces that have to go with them to be limited to fly. And then, when we do get a chance, the batteries are not good enough.

It is so frustrating as the weather is unpredictable and you just cannot keep charging the batteries I said above I could ruin them. So real shame that it’s put me off. I’m buying any other drone as the outlay to fly one divide one qualified to fly one, it’s all worth it I ask .
Like now at 7 am here in Lyme Regis. The Sun was beautiful when I woke up this morning. The weather forecast last night was not good. The Sun was rising over gold cap in Dorset and the trees were stale. I checked the drone app to see if it was safe to fly on the wings were low and it said it was safe to fly so I grabbed my drone knowing that I had charge the batteries a fortnight ago. Just put them on the charger to see how far they were charged and they’re very low and now it’s raining and that window is gone , this is so typical these days. Last year it was too hot or too cold or too windy. How many of you have the same problem?
2023-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules