German gingerbread town
1390 28 2018-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
r0mko
lvl.2
Flight distance : 149800 ft
Germany

My video from yesterday. Calm down for 2 minutes with relaxing music and lovely South German scenery. BTW, achieved 2,1 km distance without a single lag or other connectivity problems. It was scary but went flawless. Any feedback is deeply appreciated.

2018-3-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very beautiful video.
I wish I was allowed to make these kind of shots in NL.
(I assume you are flying over roads and buildings here)
2018-3-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Absolutely beautiful video, thank you very much! There is just a lot of moire on many textures and I myself still have to find out the best camera settings for reducing it as much as possible. But nevertheless a great video and I am happy to hear that you have had such good range!
2018-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good video nice flying, not to sure I like the continuous black screen interruptions particularly when scenes change very little, but good job.
2018-3-15
Use props
r0mko
lvl.2
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-15 15:03
Very beautiful video.
I wish I was allowed to make these kind of shots in NL.
(I assume you are flying over roads and buildings here)

Thank you for your feedback! To be honest, I guess I've broken at least couple of German drone laws. I hope no one here would bitch about that
2018-3-15
Use props
r0mko
lvl.2
Germany

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-15 15:07
Absolutely beautiful video, thank you very much! There is just a lot of moire on many textures and I myself still have to find out the best camera settings for reducing it as much as possible. But nevertheless a great video and I am happy to hear that you have had such good range!

Thank you! I'm just learning and try to balance between sharpness, moire/aliasing and details. By default Mavic Air's image is quite soft, and I try to squeeze out more details. Perhaps I applied too aggressive sharpening.
2018-3-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

I fully agree with hallmark and forgot to mention myself in my comment above, better avoid these "transitions", simple cuts without transitions are far more professional.
2018-3-15
Use props
r0mko
lvl.2
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-3-15 15:12
Good video nice flying, not to sure I like the continuous black screen interruptions particularly when scenes change very little, but good job.

Thank you for your reply! Using black screen transitions firstly I tried to hide some piloting flaws, and second — to fit the footage into 2 minute timing. Also I synchronized these transitions with the music. I thought that this would be nice
2018-3-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

r0mko Posted at 2018-3-15 15:17
Thank you for your feedback! To be honest, I guess I've broken at least couple of German drone laws. I hope no one here would bitch about that

You have broken the rule to always fly in visual line of sight (unless you want to tell me that you could still see it in 2,1 km distance ;-).
2018-3-15
Use props
r0mko
lvl.2
Germany

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-15 15:23
I fully agree with hallmark and forgot to mention myself in my comment above, better avoid these "transitions", simple cuts without transitions are far more professional.

I agree. I also prefer immediate cuts, but a friend of mine insisted on softer transitions or greatly reducing amount of cuts.
2018-3-15
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I must admit it did look like a miniature gingerbread village.

I have no criticism to add to your video. It is a lot better then I could do.
Really enjoyed how you circled the village. Thanks for sharing and hope to see more.
2018-3-15
Use props
r0mko
lvl.2
Germany

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-15 15:26
You have broken the rule to always fly in visual line of sight (unless you want to tell me that you could still see it in 2,1 km distance ;-).

I'm thinking of some sort of binocular. I can't see my bird already at 50 meters. I plan to dig around a nearest Flohmarkt (flea market?) and probably find one eventually
2018-3-15
Use props
r0mko
lvl.2
Germany

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-15 15:33
I must admit it did look like a miniature gingerbread village.

I have no criticism to add to your video. It is a lot better then I could do.

Thank you mate. I'm still learning and to be honest not really happy with results I've achieved. But nevertheless I'm glad to hear your appreciation.
2018-3-15
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

First, it was a beautiful area and VERY colorful.  I have to agree with Wachtberger and Hallmark.  I've been doing a ton of reading on videography and the pros often mention to use no or very few transitions (mostly when there's a major change of time or location).  Instead, either just let the scenes cut from one to another (our brains are used to that from movies and TV), or use B-roll shots (Goggle that if you're not familiar with B-roll).  I've begun to notice on movies and tv that your rarely see scenes that go more than 5 seconds without a cut.  But we're so used to it, that we don't notice.  Focus on that in some upcoming viewing of a professional video or TV show and you'll be as surprised as I was at how many cuts take place (without transitions) and we don't even notice it.  But keeping your videos short - as you did - also gets me to watch postings far more than I do for the longer ones.  3 mintes is about tops for me.
2018-3-15
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Lovely town and nice flying, thank you for posting.
2018-3-15
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 108805200 ft
  • >>>
United States

Quite a nice compilation of footage.
2018-3-15
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

r0mko Posted at 2018-3-15 15:17
Thank you for your feedback! To be honest, I guess I've broken at least couple of German drone laws. I hope no one here would bitch about that

You're welcome.
I know the feeling of wanting to make the shot.
And I also know it will probably work out fine.
But still, try to fly legally.
Best for all of us.
2018-3-15
Use props
the0bone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11896 ft
Germany

r0mko Posted at 2018-3-15 15:39
I'm thinking of some sort of binocular. I can't see my bird already at 50 meters. I plan to dig around a nearest Flohmarkt (flea market?) and probably find one eventually

Any technical help (even analog binoculars) are not allowed to extend the LOS.
If you read it carefully even glasses are not allowed If you had bad eyes search for another hobby ;)
2018-3-16
Use props
r0mko
lvl.2
Germany

the0bone Posted at 2018-3-16 02:14
Any technical help (even analog binoculars) are not allowed to extend the LOS.
If you read it carefully even glasses are not allowed  If you had bad eyes search for another hobby ;)

I’d better search for another country
2018-3-16
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I have found somewhat of a sweet spot on my P4P & MP to reduce Moire, Resolution 2.7K>Manual Mode> -1,-1,-1> EV/-2. Really don't notice a huge difference between 2160p & 1440p. If you reduce the playback resolution on your UT Video you can see a lot of the Moire go away and still retain the crisp detail in the video. Just a thought.
2018-3-16
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-15 15:26

With a very good set of bino's or a spotter scope......
2018-3-16
Use props
r0mko
lvl.2
Germany

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-16 02:56
I have found somewhat of a sweet spot on my P4P & MP to reduce Moire, Resolution 2.7K>Manual Mode> -1,-1,-1> EV/-2. Really don't notice a huge difference between 2160p & 1440p. If you reduce the playback resolution on your UT Video you can see a lot of the Moire go away and still retain the crisp detail in the video. Just a thought.

Please note that MP and MA internal image processing differs a lot. I noticed that the 2,7K image from MA is even more soft that the 4K one, so there's definitely a significant loss of detail. Another drawback of using 2,7K is narrower field of view.
Concerning the moire: I think that less sharpening in post-process would help. But setting -1 sharpening on Mavic Air during filming in fact ruins the picture, there's no way to recover smeared details.
2018-3-16
Use props
r0mko
lvl.2
Germany

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-3-16 03:05
With a very good set of bino's or a spotter scope......

Already mentioned that any optical aids for extending LOS range are illicit in Germany. Even my glasses, LMAO.
2018-3-16
Use props
r0mko
lvl.2
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-15 22:32
You're welcome.
I know the feeling of wanting to make the shot.
And I also know it will probably work out fine.

I understand that. But that town is too sweet to miss the shot. I feel ashamed for that,
2018-3-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very nice vid - less transitions in the next one - good work though
2018-3-16
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

r0mko Posted at 2018-3-16 03:48
Please note that MP and MA internal image processing differs a lot. I noticed that the 2,7K image from MA is even more soft that the 4K one, so there's definitely a significant loss of detail. Another drawback of using 2,7K is narrower field of view.
Concerning the moire: I think that less sharpening in post-process would help. But setting -1 sharpening on Mavic Air during filming in fact ruins the picture, there's no way to recover smeared details.

Thanks for the input, haven't tried much with the MA yet, pretty much just use it for opportunity & Quick shot features as it is always with me when I go out.
2018-3-16
Use props
r0mko
lvl.2
Germany

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-3-15 17:04
First, it was a beautiful area and VERY colorful.  I have to agree with Wachtberger and Hallmark.  I've been doing a ton of reading on videography and the pros often mention to use no or very few transitions (mostly when there's a major change of time or location).  Instead, either just let the scenes cut from one to another (our brains are used to that from movies and TV), or use B-roll shots (Goggle that if you're not familiar with B-roll).  I've begun to notice on movies and tv that your rarely see scenes that go more than 5 seconds without a cut.  But we're so used to it, that we don't notice.  Focus on that in some upcoming viewing of a professional video or TV show and you'll be as surprised as I was at how many cuts take place (without transitions) and we don't even notice it.  But keeping your videos short - as you did - also gets me to watch postings far more than I do for the longer ones.  3 mintes is about tops for me.

Thank you for your reply!
Watched my video again with a clear head. Black transitions look a sort of strange here. I should have cut the footage in another way, not necessarily connected to a music. That was my mistake, I wanted to put my footage on a canvas of music.
I'm aware of videography principles you are speaking about: shorter scenes, less timing, brighter colours, more clear message to the viewer. We are used to see that on TV, it also caused a "mosaic thinking" phenomena. Viewer's attention fades out after 40 seconds without changing a subject or at least a viewing point. And this number is a bit too optimistic, I guess: most of my age-mates used to lose interest after 10-15 seconds.
2018-3-16
Use props
r0mko
lvl.2
Germany

A CW Posted at 2018-3-16 03:56
Very nice vid - less transitions in the next one - good work though

Thanks! Сoncise and to the point! I'm also concerned about too much transitions.
2018-3-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

r0mko Posted at 2018-3-16 03:53
I understand that. But that town is too sweet to miss the shot. I feel ashamed for that,

That is a the everyday struggle.
To break or not to break the rules....
2018-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules