Best practice with ISO/Shutter speed when shooting aerials?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
artem.nedoshepa
lvl.2

United States

I played around with Auto mode, it does the job, but not perfectly, half of my videos were overexposed. I'm wondering what would the "best practices" be for Phantom 3.

From what I've done so far:

- Format NTSC
- 16:9
- is ON
- During relatively stable light I'm trying to "lock" the settings by pressing "AE" button, located right of iso/shutter speed/EV bar
- Resolution 4k/24 to give me a film look
- Trying to keep EV between -0.5 +0.5- Reduced gimbal wheel speed to 30-40%
- Reduced gimbal wheel speed to 30-40%
- Physically increase the length of the left joystick (it becomes less sensitive, needs more finger movement which makes a smoother shot)

What do you guys do to take a superb footage?

2015-5-5
Use props
jbrazda
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1781102 ft
United States

It seems like this think uses center weighted metering.  It should use the entire frame to meter exposure.  But I don't think its doing that.  On a normal camera, you can choose between spot, center or entire frame metering.  I think this uses spot, if you touch the screen, or it uses center otherwise.  It needs to use the entire frame.  If you get any sky in the shot, then the ground is completely dark, and if you touch the ground to meter their, the sky is too bright.  
2015-5-5
Use props
Gary C
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1710938 ft
  • >>>
United States

jbrazda Posted at 2015-5-6 07:21
It seems like this think uses center weighted metering.  It should use the entire frame to meter exp ...

Use the wheel on the right on the transmitter. You can adjust lighter and darker.
2015-5-5
Use props
artem.nedoshepa
lvl.2

United States

Gary C Posted at 2015-5-6 08:59
Use the wheel on the right on the transmitter. You can adjust lighter and darker.

Updated my first post with the joystick length.
2015-5-5
Use props
cascadeflyer
lvl.2

United States

Would be nice if we had the over exposure warning from the inspire (zebras). hint hint !
2015-5-5
Use props
jbrazda
lvl.2
United States

cascadeflyer Posted at 2015-5-6 13:16
Would be nice if we had the over exposure warning from the inspire (zebras).

In the new iOS app, there is an overexposure warning in the settings, i'll try it out tomorrow
2015-5-5
Use props
jbrazda
lvl.2
United States

Gary C Posted at 2015-5-6 08:59

yes, but if the metering wasn't center weighted, I wouldn't have to.
2015-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules