Firmware upgrading the Mavic Pro / Is it necessary?
4256 13 2018-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MBrown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 619790 ft
United States

OK, so I purchased my Mavic Pro last October.  I went through hell from day 1 trying to update the firmware so I could fly it.  Two weeks later I finally succeed in the upgrade.  It was miserable having this thing sitting in front of me and not able to fly it.
My current FW is at v01.04.0000
The ones in between are:
v01.04.0200
v01.04.0241 (Beta)
The latest  FW is at v01.04.0300

My current Android device I connect to the remote is a Samsung Galaxy S5

Everything works great,  I've had no problems whatsoever.  The pictures and video are great.  (when i remember to tap to focus)

My delema is this.  I see constant posts on firmware upgrade issues. After an upgrade, phone or tablets dont work the same with the Mavic or the firware doesnt upgrade correctly at all leaving people frustrated and angry.  Am I justified in not wanting to upgrade or an I really missing out on fixes and new features?  Is it OK not to update?

Thanks
I look forward to seeing you comments.

2018-3-16
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Nope, do the upgrades, just wait a week or two after each new one comes out before implementing.  If there is a serious bug, you'll see lots of postings here.  Now, the bigger issue for you is updating successfully.  My first time was like yours - a real exercise in frustration.  That hasn't happened since.  Why?  Because I carefully go and get the "Update firmware process" showing on my computer EACH time and follow it precisely.  Also, my first time was using Wifi to do it.  Now, I only do the updates with the DJI assistant and connecting to my computer rather than wifi.  Hope this helps.
2018-3-16
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-3-16 20:55
Nope, do the upgrades, just wait a week or two after each new one comes out before implementing.  If there is a serious bug, you'll see lots of postings here.  Now, the bigger issue for you is updating successfully.  My first time was like yours - a real exercise in frustration.  That hasn't happened since.  Why?  Because I carefully go and get the "Update firmware process" showing on my computer EACH time and follow it precisely.  Also, my first time was using Wifi to do it.  Now, I only do the updates with the DJI assistant and connecting to my computer rather than wifi.  Hope this helps.

100% agree. DJI updates are a bit like Apple updates. Wait at least a week when a new one comes out. It gives them chance to iron out any glitches etc. DJI Assistant has updated all my craft in the past with zero issues. On the other hand if it flies good........
2018-3-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always update on the day to the latest version be it FW, app, IOS and yet to have any issues.
2018-3-17
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-3-17 02:02
I always update on the day to the latest version be it FW, app, IOS and yet to have any issues.

IOS defo has to wait at least a week. Seen so many devices bricked due to crap updates, including my Daughters phone......Never again as hate the pompous nature of the staff and customers in the UK Meadowhall store.
2018-3-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-3-17 02:09
IOS defo has to wait at least a week. Seen so many devices bricked due to crap updates, including my Daughters phone......Never again as hate the pompous nature of the staff and customers in the UK Meadowhall store.

Actually, IOS did cause my GO4 app to crash 20 times in early December so agree with that. FW has never been an issue for me though.
2018-3-17
Use props
MBrown
Second Officer
United States

Thanks for the replies guys.   Still not sure if I should update or not.   
2018-3-18
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

MBrown Posted at 2018-3-18 08:48
Thanks for the replies guys.   Still not sure if I should update or not.

Take it form me.. if it isn't broke DO NOT FIX IT.
If you see a feature you want wait a few weeks and read the forums for issues.
2018-3-18
Use props
MBrown
Second Officer
United States

Thanks again Bob and DirtyBird and I agree, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.     And  I don't want to continue raising my hand to ask permission to fly.   I feel  as though I don't really own the drone,  i've just paid a ton of money just to use it.
2018-3-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Brown, we always recommend that users upgrade the latest firmware because it's the optimization to the previous one, but that depends on you. If your drone's now performing fine and you don't want to upgrade it, that's alright.
2018-3-19
Use props
EranR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 280515 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-3-18 10:12
As Bob Brown said, if she's flying great why tempt fate?  Unless there is some new "must have" feature or a serious bug fix, you gain nothing by updating.  You only limit yourself with things like quizzes before being allowed to fly, being forced to be logged in in order to fly, or broadcasting you & your bird's GPS coordinates & identity.

I agree. I'm still flying on version 1.3.700 and everything's working great. My Mavic is almost a year old.
2018-3-19
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

if you want have pano shooting on your dji go 4 app you have to update firmware at least to:|v01.04.0100

Added Pano shooting modes (requires DJI GO 4 app v4.1.18 or higher).
 Optimized GEO Zone management.
 Optimized Intelligent Flight Battery firmware updating.
 Improved flight performance when using propeller guards.
2018-3-19
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Netherlands

yes but be aware Litchi uses always the latest FW.
Quote First, ensure you are using the latest DJI firmwares on both your aircraft and remote controller if you are using one. You can update the firmware using DJI Go, or for some of the older aircraft models download them from dji.com. Unquote...
2018-3-19
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Netherlands

I am a beta tester of Litchi for the MP, and they compile litchi with the latest  SDK (given by DJI), if Mbrown buys Litchi he gets the newest version so he can better upgrade his FW if he intend to use Litchi.
or stay on his FW and use an older litchi app if he can find it what you discribe.
I know litchi can do all the things and more on an older FW but yeah it's a expensive drone.... I agree there is not much new things after version .0100 for the MP (never change a winning team (app vs FW))

2018-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules