Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Remote or Drone which is at fault?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChrisLongley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2710 ft
United Kingdom

Yesterday I used the DJI Go app to update the firmware on my Phantom 3 4k from V01.05 to V01.06

About 60% of the way in the app informed me that the update had failed and I should try again.

After rebooting the rc status light stays on red, but it will move the camera and gimbal.

The lights on the rear arm of the Phantom are only ever yellow. There seems no way to use the app because the Phatom_Xxx Wi-Fi network is never visible.

Relinking never works. The rc light flashes blue and the Phantom's light/relink button flashes red, link never completes.

On the MicroSD card the file P3XW_FW_RESULT_AB.txt shows my succesful 2016 update then the partial success of yesterday's attempt:

========== 2016.09.18 22:10:21 =====================
Packet: P3XW_FW_V01.05.0040.bin
Upgrading ...
Result: Success.

========== 2016.12.09 10:48:50 =====================
Packet: P3XW_FW_V99.99.9999.bin
Upgrading ...

========== 2018.03.16 12:54:16 =====================
Packet: P3XW_FW_V99.99.9999.bin
Result: Corrupted.
Firmware bin file is corrupted, download it again from the DJI offical website.

From what I've read it looks as if the RC firmware and AC firmware could be out of sync and that is why I can't bind them together and why the video feed won't work. Possibly that the Wi-Fi standard changed in one firmware.

So I spent most of yesterday using the SD card method to downgrade and then upgrade the firmware on the quadcopter.

After each attempt I tried to relink but could not. It looks as if the firmware updater is aware that the RC is disconnected and logs that so it must be important

========== 2014.01.01 00:00:11 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3XW_FW_V01.06.0050.bin
Upgrading ...

Upgrading ...

========== 2014.01.01 00:17:18 remo-con disconnect======
Packet: P3XW_FW_V01.04.0030.bin
Upgrading ...

Upgrading ...

Packet: P3XW_FW_V01.06.0050.bin
Upgrading ...

What do you think I should try next?

2018-3-17
Use props
Inferno-Videos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 889688 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello there Chris, yes the RC and AC are out of sync, I've read and been told that you Must always update the AC firmware first then move on to the RC.  The funny thing is when you have an update list showing on the home screen or in the update menu the RC is always listed first, that's why everyone gets stuck, one day DJI might start showing it in the correct order.

Anyway the first thing you need to do is Down-grade the RC firmware by following the DJI Tutorial video below, it is for a Phantom 4 but works the same way on the P3A, P3 4K and the P3P. It will give you a few up-grade versions to choose from, and although you're going down it will still call it an upgrade, don't worry at this stage. As you're on 1.06 now it will probably give you (1.05.8) (1.06) (1.08) and (1.09) so roll back to the 1.05.8 first, it might not be exactly the same place as your 1.05 but it's a safe version.

Once you're back where you should be the AC and RC should be able to talk, if not do a re-link then should be okay, once they're talking do the firmware on the AC, DJI say the best way after the 1.05 update is to use the GoApp but I found it safer to download the bin file and link via USB to laptop or you can use the USB stick method which works just as well.

When you've finished the update on the AC just simply go back to link your mobile device with the controller and do the Updates, this time actually going up, and this bit is very important, you Must do each update in the list one by one in sequence otherwise you could miss out vital peices of data. The manuals and tutorials say to have the AC turned off but I've read blogs where people say it can go out of sync again so last time I had this issue I left the drone on and in range all though the updates, with that in mind make sure both batteries are at +50% better still fully charged.

At each update you may still notice the video feed cutting in and out and still get the signal loss message, this is normal until they're both up to date at the same level, even at 1.09 I still get a weak signal message when I first turn mine on but it goes away after 30 seconds once the drone is warmed up.

A side note: the currupted bin file that you mention, if you use the up-grade menu mentioned in the video you won't need to download another bin file but make sure you have a good WiFi signal but don't have the AC or RC to close to your Router as it interferes with the magnetics or whatever, either way it will just keep giving you error codes while you trying to do the updates, just moving to the next room should be okay.

Anyway sorry for going on so long, hopefully you'll be back in the air soon, Good Luck David.

2018-3-18
Use props
Christine L
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2710 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for this but It's not possible to do anything at all to the remote controller. There's no wi-fi SSID from it.

On some of the P3 models (including the P34k) the only way to talk to the RC is via wifi.

You don't connect a cable between phone/tablet and RC, you connect to the RC's wifi network. That network appears after you link RC and AC. I can't do that though, catch 22

Also the USB stick method can't be used. The DJI controller, GL358wB doesn't have a USB port that you can load firmware to. There is a micro-USB port but it ignores any attempt to feed it firmware (apparently it's there for downloading logs)

2018-3-19
Use props
Inferno-Videos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 889688 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Christine L Posted at 2018-3-19 14:26
Thanks for this but It's not possible to do anything at all to the remote controller. There's no wi-fi SSID from it.

On some of the P3 models (including the P34k) the only way to talk to the RC is via wifi.

Right I get you, sorry I thought only the P3 stanard and the P3 SE used the GL358w controller. Neither of which I'll ever use again, I think the GL300 is far more flaxable.

When I had trouble with my P3SE it was down to the phone I was using not being compatible, however I always had a WiFi connection and could switch back and forth, by that I mean somewhere in the download process you have to load the file to the device (Ie your phone) while connected to the house WiFi then switch your phone to the drones WiFi to let it upload to the drone and it will need switch back and forth a few times to complete the process.
There is a few threads on here and a few videos on YouTube how to do it, it took me a while before I worked out how to do it. But no WiFi SSID showing at all sounds very odd indeed.

2 people I think that should be able to help would be (DJI Susan and KedDK), they know the controllers and the specs very well as I've chatted with them on other threads, so you could try messaging them and see if there's another thing to try.
It may just be a faulty controller, where abouts in the UK are you? I still have my GL358wD from my P3SE which works fine, but check with DJI Susan that can work with the P3 4K as it's a newer model.
2018-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules