What settings do you turn off on your iPhone
6500 15 2018-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4316a59e
lvl.1
Australia

Hi there,
Just wondering what  settings people turn off on their iPhone before flying when connecting it to the remote controller via WiFi. Do you just turn off the Bluetooth and have the phone operating like normal while your flying allowing you to receive texts and phone calls?
2018-3-18
Use props
Langner91
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3474 ft
United States

I turn on Airplane Mode on my iWatch, which automagically switches my iPhone to Airplane mode.  Then, I manually turn on wifi and connect to the RC.  I don't trust getting a phone call while my AC is flying.  plus, BT is a no-no around the Spark from what I have read.

Hope that helps.
2018-3-18
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

Langner91 Posted at 2018-3-18 05:11
I turn on Airplane Mode on my iWatch, which automagically switches my iPhone to Airplane mode.  Then, I manually turn on wifi and connect to the RC.  I don't trust getting a phone call while my AC is flying.  plus, BT is a no-no around the Spark from what I have read.

Hope that helps.

Sometimes, you also need cellular data, to unlock your Spark if you're in certain zones, for example. But you can open Notification Center at any time and switch it on, if you're using your "method", or even if you're using an USB cable and flying in Airplane Mode.
2018-3-18
Use props
Ram-UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1173045 ft
United Kingdom

I just switch off Bluetooth (only if I remember but never had any issues)
2018-3-18
Use props
jimm00re
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1277503 ft
United States

I use a cellular iPad. I keep everything on. It's nice always having maps. I could definitely imagine the need to at least DND a phone to stop incoming calls and texts.
2018-3-18
Use props
Langner91
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3474 ft
United States

KurtVD Posted at 2018-3-18 06:12
Sometimes, you also need cellular data, to unlock your Spark if you're in certain zones, for example. But you can open Notification Center at any time and switch it on, if you're using your "method", or even if you're using an USB cable and flying in Airplane Mode.

Good point.  I live in a rural area, so I haven't had that situation.  I imagine if I travel with it, I will run into that.  Thanks for making that point.

I can just imagine getting  a text from my wife asking "how is the flight going?" at the wrong moment.  So, I haven't taken any chances.
2018-3-18
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

What would happen if you receive a phone call or text message while flying?
2018-3-18
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

dji TO88 Posted at 2018-3-18 17:47

Yes, I'd like to know, too...as I recall, I did have a call once...don't remember what happened.
2018-3-18
Use props
Lyons90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164528 ft
Australia

I had an incoming call once, accidentally hit answer instead of decline.
I decided to run with it, put the call on speaker.

Ran the spark battery dead flying around, taking photos and videos, all while talking on the phone.

No issues, but definitely not something I would intentionally do.
Using a tablet now, so no incoming calls on that.
2018-3-18
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Switzerland

Once somebody frantically tried to reach me while I was flying, first by sending me about 5 messages and then by calling me, followed by more messages since I didn’t pick up. It was really annoying, i kept getting these notifications and my Spark was too far away to just land it and call back. You don’t lose control of your drone, but it’s quite hard to keep focused.
2018-3-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I turn off WiFi, Bluetooth and turn on do not disturb leaving cellular running to cache my maps live in hybrid as I fly.
2018-3-19
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Switzerland

A CW Posted at 2018-3-19 00:20
I turn off WiFi, Bluetooth and turn on do not disturb leaving cellular running to cache my maps live in hybrid as I fly.

I've used "Do Not Disturb" at the beginning, until I've realised that it only silences incoming calls and messages, so an incoming all will still cover DJI GO with the incoming call screen until you either pick up or the caller hangs up.
2018-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

KurtVD Posted at 2018-3-19 01:46
I've used "Do Not Disturb" at the beginning, until I've realised that it only silences incoming calls and messages, so an incoming all will still cover DJI GO with the incoming call screen until you either pick up or the caller hangs up.

Good to know. What iPhone do you use?
2018-3-19
Use props
DTL555
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177313 ft
  • >>>
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Hi,
I also recommend max volume, than General-> Accessibility-> Display Accommodations-> Auto Brightness-> Off, than Settings-> Display& Brightness-> to max & True Tone to off.
All of these to maximise screen brightness and volume.

Also, General-> Background App Refresh-> Off.

Wi-Fi On, BT Off, GSM/LTE Off. You can pre-cache all your maps at home. You basically don’t need mobile internet while driving your drone.

iWatch or any other device which possibly use BT, be aware of them and turn BT Off.

And, one more thing....
Always be aware who is around you, all time!!! Someone curious can approach to you with device/devices with BT on, and then you will be in problem, believe me!!!
I have routine to respect all of this steps, every time just to have best possible audio & screen/video experience, but also to be a peaceful that I do everything possible to prevent some incident or possible flay away.

I use iPhone 8+,

Cheers

2018-3-19
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Switzerland

A CW Posted at 2018-3-19 03:13
Good to know. What iPhone do you use?

iPhone 7, iOS 11
2018-3-19
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Switzerland

DTL555 Posted at 2018-3-19 04:36
Hi,
I also recommend max volume, than General-> Accessibility-> Display Accommodations-> Auto Brightness-> Off, than Settings-> Display& Brightness-> to max & True Tone to off.
All of these to maximise screen brightness and volume.

If you're outside, your display will be at maximum brightness anyway, or you can set it at max in Notifications Center (on the iPhone).  Things like Background app refresh and True Tone won't make a difference, except maybe if you have an old iPhone which struggles to keep up, but I can say that my iPhone 7 never showed the slightest sign of performance problems, it doesn't even get really warm.

iPhone: Be aware, if you switch off Bluetooth and WiFi in Notifications Center, they're not 100% switched off, they're still kind of active and looking for know devices and networks (google it for details). You have to either switch them off in the "Settings" page, or by using "Airplane Mode" (and switching WiFi back on, if you don't need BT, but WiFi).
2018-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules