Spark or Mavic Pro Platinum for a Sailing Trip
2227 17 2018-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I'll be going ot the Carribean for a sailing trip in a couple weeks and was wondering whether the Spark or the Mavic is the way to go for this trip? Does anyone have experience in taking one or the other and what are the pro's and cons with one or the other.

At first, I was thinking the Spark but now I think the Mavic will be the way to go. I'm still trying to weight it out. Things that I'm thinking about is the following:

Power: I think we have a way to power up devices but things to consider what I have.
  • Mavic I have 4 batteries
  • Spark I have 6 batteries and a DJI portable charger.

Flight Time:
  • I don't know what kinds of winds I'll be facing or whether I plan to take a video while moving with the sailboat. The point is that the Spark may have trouble keeping up with the sailboat (although I prefer to not fly while moving with the sailboat). Also flight time wise, I think 10/15 minute flight time with the Spark may be too little to have to keep bringing it back in for another battery (although I have 6 in rotation).

Functionality:
  • Certain things that the Mavic will have over the Spark. Aside from the Spark being ultraportable. I'm talking more like RTH function where it will hover before landing something like that.

As far as packing goes, I can make either one packable really small. So it doesn't matter for me.

I don't know if I'm missing anything else but please let me know your experiences and suggestions.
2018-3-18
Use props
Arnor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

I took my Spark on our boat last year. As long as you are still, I think both are perfect options. When sailing, the Spark is getting tricky: you have 5min to take a shot, then 5 minutes to get it back. You really need some extra time because a the boat is moving/rolling/pitching, it's difficult to land and avoid hitting cables, ropes, sails, ...

Palm landing was a great help but it wasn't always as smooth.

Cheers!
2018-3-18
Use props
SkyBug
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487566 ft
United States

Take whichever one that needs a bath.
2018-3-18
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Mavic Pro: as you can disable "Smart RTH" and set RC signals lost to "Hover"
These settings are crucial when flying above water

Although Spark's palm take off could be very useful.
2018-3-18
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Arnor Posted at 2018-3-18 08:55
I took my Spark on our boat last year. As long as you are still, I think both are perfect options. When sailing, the Spark is getting tricky: you have 5min to take a shot, then 5 minutes to get it back. You really need some extra time because a the boat is moving/rolling/pitching, it's difficult to land and avoid hitting cables, ropes, sails, ...

Palm landing was a great help but it wasn't always as smooth.

Yeah you're right about that 5 minute capture, 5 minutes bring back. The size of it seems like it would be easier but you don't have a whole lot of time to manage it before it is time to come back.  Also I think the constant changing of the battery will cause more risk to bringing it in and take it off again.
2018-3-18
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-3-18 10:08

Actually that is what I meant in my post about the whole hover feature that the Spark doesn't have.
2018-3-18
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

nutsnbolts Posted at 2018-3-18 10:20
Actually that is what I meant in my post about the whole hover feature that the Spark doesn't have.

What I meant was bring the Mavic Pro and remember to set those settings correctly.
2018-3-18
Use props
Jetta-The-Hut
lvl.3

United States

With the winds on the open ocean or even right off shore, I wouldn’t take the spark. It’s the main reason I’m saving for a Mavic Pro.  Spark won’t be able to handle the winds and depending on if have a head wind, it may not make it back to the boat.
2018-3-18
Use props
Arnor
lvl.4
Belgium

Jetta-The-Hut Posted at 2018-3-18 11:04
With the winds on the open ocean or even right off shore, I wouldn’t take the spark. It’s the main reason I’m saving for a Mavic Pro.  Spark won’t be able to handle the winds and depending on if have a head wind, it may not make it back to the boat.

I did some test with Spark under heavy wind and it takes the punishment wel...it keeps very steady, but I wouldn't try that on a boat...you won't be able to land, i think with any drones it 'd be a nightmare.
2018-3-18
Use props
Arnor
lvl.4
Belgium

ps: https://www.skypixel.com/videos/ ... aign=share&sp=0
2018-3-18
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Arnor Posted at 2018-3-18 11:39
ps: https://www.skypixel.com/videos/48675e72-9fee-4c9e-8909-921a08a2cab4?utm_source=copied&utm_medium=PCWeb&utm_campaign=share&sp=0

That's pretty cool. Seems calm, how was the experience. Seems also a lot of space to be able to land the drone...or room to hand catch it without worrying about a mast.

Anything you can share about issues that encountered? Perhaps?
2018-3-18
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-3-18 10:38
What I meant was bring the Mavic Pro and remember to set those settings correctly.

Thanks, any other settings that I should also think about setting?
2018-3-18
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

SkyBug Posted at 2018-3-18 08:57
Take whichever one that needs a bath.

haha! I was thinking the same. Take the Spark because it's less money falling into the water. But also the Palm Landing and Launching would probably work better on a boat.
2018-3-18
Use props
Arnor
lvl.4
Belgium

nutsnbolts Posted at 2018-3-18 21:38
That's pretty cool. Seems calm, how was the experience. Seems also a lot of space to be able to land the drone...or room to hand catch it without worrying about a mast.

Anything you can share about issues that encountered? Perhaps?

Plenty of space indeed.

Major challenges :
- Boat still :-) for take off / landing ( GPS still ) > painful experience
- Sun glare and difficult to locate the drone when flying.
- Active tracking is too slow ( default config ) to follow boat
- Palm landing can be more tricky
- Carefull with metal structure, radar, ...
- As such the water is only a psychological challenge, the wind can be more tricky in critical parts ( landing and take off )
- Low battery warning gets another meaning when the drone wants to auto land, and the landing spot is moving

For the rest, it's great fun flying above water from a boat.
2018-3-20
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

There is always a lot of wind in the caribean so be aware of that.
Don't forget to set dynamic homepoint to on.
You can use follow me instead of active track.(mavic) Radar has interference on your compass and you know what compass failure means on a Spark (you loose him) Better switch radar off.
On a sailboat is hard to land and take off, you always sailing, even when the nose is in the wind, the sailing vessel is turning towards the wind.
I wouldn't do it with either Spark or Mavic
2018-3-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think palm launch/land is something to consider when taking off from a boat but the MPP will deliver far more when in the air.
2018-3-20
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-3-18 10:08

I have just seen a guy "throwing" his mavic in the air. So kind of palm start should be available for it, too.
I just haven't seen it focused and very close, but the one moment he had it in his right hand, the other it was in the air.
And he grabbed it also out of air, somehow
I just wondering, Spark, Mavic, if startet with sticks, what is happening if moved (thrown) up. Trying to stay in position/altitude? Or ist throwing and ascending the trick?
2018-3-20
Use props
nutsnbolts
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Ok, am I reading the responses correctly. Even in still water or not moving boat, it's a challenge to land and/or hand catch it?? Obviously if it's moving, you're looking for trouble.
2018-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules