859 12 2018-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
KBerrah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4035174 ft
Switzerland

Hi,

I would love to be able to replace a battery without having to shutdown the MavicPro (removing one, adding a fully charged one) while removing a discharged battery. Any option to consider this in futur developements? probably by inserting an intermediate cable when swapping the two batteries?

Thanks  

2018-3-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thats a good idea but probably two or three gens. to go for something like that I'd say.
2018-3-18
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

How would you propose to do that?  You're asking for the Mavic to stay powered up while removing the battery.  If you can do that, you can throw the battery out completely and save us a lot of fretting about charging and charge levels!
2018-3-18
Use props
KBerrah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4035174 ft
Switzerland

For example, technically:
- connect a cable from the mavic to the new charged battery, putting the new battery in parallel to the discharged one
- remove the discharged Battery (MavicPro still power by the new battery through the cable). Now mavic powered with the new cable connected.
- insert the new battery
- remove the cable.
2018-3-18
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

KBerrah Posted at 2018-3-18 12:21
- connect a cable from the mavic to the new charged battery, putting the new battery in parallel to the discharged one
- remove the discharged Battery (MavicPro still power by the new battery through the cable). Now mavic powered with the new cable connected.

There also could be a built in miniature 11.4v  lipo( size of your thumb nail) that could keep power to the electronics for about a minute.
Called a battery backup.

2018-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

- connect a cable from the mavic to the new charged battery, putting the new battery in parallel to the discharged one

It takes less than 30 seconds to reboot after landing I’m wondering why this is needed ?
2018-3-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

- connect a cable from the mavic to the new charged battery, putting the new battery in parallel to the discharged one

"putting the new battery in parallel to the discharged one"

That would require a power rectifier inside Mavic between mounted battery and Mavic's internal power connections.

Otherwise connecting a charged battery to mounted discharged battery, would result in charged battery discharging to charge the mounted discharged battery.

Putting a rectifier inside Mavic between mounted battery and Mavic's internal power connections would result in slight voltage drop across rectifier.  0.7v to 0.3v depending on type of rectifier/diode.  Likely resulting in less flight time.
2018-3-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-18 12:44
There also could be a built in miniature 11.4v  lipo( size of your thumb nail) that could keep power to the electronics for about a minute.
Called a battery backup.

Small internal battery that could provide backup at least for Black-box crash functions would be a plus.  
2018-3-18
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Called a battery backup.

This would be the more logical approach, the Mavic can easily support a battery of this size & capacity to run electronics & fan but would probably reduce flight time as the internal battery would need to be charged by the flight battery, personally I have no problem swapping batteries when needed, gives me a chance to see if I ran through a swarm of "NO se Em's"  or maybe a pigeon crapped on my Quad !
2018-3-18
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I agree. Have 3 batteries and no issue landing and swopping takes a matter of seconds to swap and restart anyway. Also you will need to switch off at some stage to allow the Mavic heat sink to cool down I would guess
2018-3-19
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Called a battery backup.

That's a better idea!
2018-3-19
Use props
sica
lvl.4
Flight distance : 679 ft
Israel

In my opinion? To make DJI a much stronger battery, which, even though it would be bigger and heavier with 2..300 grams would increase the flight time to 45 minutes actually. If it exceeds the gauge to adapt it aerodynamically to the aircraft's gripper and would please many users! This model was also used on smartphones only as the phone was thicker by 2 mm requiring only the change of the back cover covering the battery.
2018-3-19
Use props
GrahamG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73369 ft
United Kingdom

And get the remote to make me a coffee and warm up my BLT at the same time.
2018-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules