Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
NFZ on the edge
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bikingdawg
lvl.2
United States

if I’m flying, legally with authorization, as a hobbyist, near a no fly zone. What happens if I cross that line. Will the AC stop? RTH?  
I ask and received the okie dokie to fly on and offshore on Orcacoke Island, NC. The airport is small, but does military touch and goes from time to time.
In shore I’m within a mile.  Offshore I would be fishing about 2 mile into the ATlantic. But what if I flew or drifted within 1.5 miles? Is that going to cause
Problems with th AC?
2018-3-18
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The aircraft will warn you and then land where it is. If that is over water, it will not care and will land in the water. Better not to test the principle.
2018-3-18
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

This may sound daft .... but bear with me.

Have you moved to within the circle of NFZ, the nearest you would ever consider flying and powered up ... you only need to try take off and you should have warning box come up to tell you whats results. Reason I suggest this - your distances I imagine are estimated ?

USA locations of course has the Fly Safe NFZ system enabled, unlike us in Latvia who have the older system.

Nigel
2018-4-4
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-18 16:27
The aircraft will warn you and then land where it is. If that is over water, it will not care and will land in the water. Better not to test the principle.

Agree, it’s kinda like flying under a bridge, it’s best not to ever know if it’s possible...
2018-4-5
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-4-5 01:41
Agree, it’s kinda like flying under a bridge, it’s best not to ever know if it’s possible...

Flying under a bridge is not as implied much problem in fact.

As long as you don't loiter or do it too slow ... its fine. The loss of GPS is only momentary and should not kick out to ATTI unless you are really slow / or the bridge is a very large serious metal structure and affects compass as well.

I and others I know have flown bridge arches many times without problem ... just get it straight and over with ...

Nigel
2018-4-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Kinda like this...?

My understanding is...

IF you have GPS, then, upon coming close to an NFZ, first you'll get a warning on the app, and then the AC will bounce upon an invisible vertical wall... the AC won't enter the NFZ

IF you lose GPS for whatever reason because your on-board satellite module doesn't sense adequate satellites, then without a fix, nothing will stop the AC from entering the NFZ, but upon regaining satellites and finding itself already in an NFZ, the AC will auto-land.  
2018-4-5
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-4-5 01:59
Flying under a bridge is not as implied much problem in fact.

As long as you don't loiter or do it too slow ... its fine. The loss of GPS is only momentary and should not kick out to ATTI unless you are really slow / or the bridge is a very large serious metal structure and affects compass as well.

I’m sure it’s possible and along with many success stories there are also stories of the quad losing signal under a bridge, then attempting a RTH only to fly into the underside of the bridge then crashing into the water below. I’ve also read about a quad approaching a NFZ, becoming confused then do a perfect auto land in a lake never to be seen again. I’m a firm believer in it’s your quad,do with it as you please but personally I would never take a chance...quads can be a tad bit unpredictable, I saw on the news a $20,000.00 Russian mail delivery quad was being demonstrated to the media, after reaching a height of around 50 ft it took off like a rocket smashing into many,many pieces up against a building, lol....
2018-4-5
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Well so far I haven't read any reports of  ''stories of the quad losing signal under a bridge, then attempting a RTH only to fly into the underside of the bridge then crashing into the water below.''.
I am always a bit wary of the so-called 'stories of failures' - because 9x out of 10 ......... they are not due to AC - but the person flying it.

The only likely event is to go into ATTI mode momentarily but even that is unlikely unless as I said earlier. But if anyone is stupid enough to try under a bridge while standing ABOVE the bridge or away so AC is shielded from Controller - then to be honest - that's mistake of the person - not the machine.

Sorry if I sound dismissive - but that's my PoV after more than 55yrs model flying.

As to the Russian Delivery Drone ... that was just plain stupid ..... even Amazon who has been working on this for last 5 yrs hasn't perfected it yet. And its certainly nothing to do with this threads subject !

Nigel
2018-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules