Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crack in P4 battery
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JMR58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

While charging i discovered a crack into one of my P4 batteries.
The surface of the crack is lightly swollen, so i will let it discharge in a controlled place before bringing it to a speciallised assembling point.
I have seen what a damaged Lipo can do...

IMG_1891.jpg
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry about this. If the battery is still in warranty period, please kindly start a case and send the battery in: https://www.dji.com/support The local team will take care of it.
2018-3-19
Use props
JMR58
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-19 04:21
Sorry about this. If the battery is still in warranty period, please kindly start a case and send the battery in: https://www.dji.com/support The local team will take care of it.

No more warranty,..first battery, has done the job...thanks anyway.
2018-3-19
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

How many charges did you get out of it?
2018-3-19
Use props
JMR58
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

Won't put it back in the ac to read the battery report, but this battery was stand bye for my hobby every day since feb/17, so it was sometimes charged several times a day/week to ensure a fully loaded battery before take off.
I have 2 extra batteries splitting the job now.
2018-3-19
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

That will be perfectly safe, at least for power on the ground.  It is the control board behind the crack, not swollen lithium cells.  Look through the side vents to see if the cells are swollen or not.

There has been a problem with at least one batch of batteries where the springs for the latches push on the plastic and cause a stress crack after a while, I guess that is the cause of your crack.
2018-3-19
Use props
JMR58
Second Officer
  • >>>
Belgium

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-3-19 06:31
That will be perfectly safe, at least for power on the ground.  It is the control board behind the crack, not swollen lithium cells.  Look through the side vents to see if the cells are swollen or not.

There has been a problem with at least one batch of batteries where the springs for the latches push on the plastic and cause a stress crack after a while, I guess that is the cause of your crack.

Checked it anyway! only 40 times charged, can look straight through the vents, nothing to see, just a bubble on the plastic where the crack is, could be one off the stress crack batch you were mentioning...
Wasn't really looking for battery cracks when i check the ac before flight.., good to know, thanks.
2018-3-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JMR58 Posted at 2018-3-19 08:37
Checked it anyway! only 40 times charged, can look straight through the vents, nothing to see, just a bubble on the plastic where the crack is, could be one off the stress crack batch you were mentioning...
Wasn't really looking for battery cracks when i check the ac before flight.., good to know, thanks.

As per post 6, this is an old problem

My battery I mentioned Here is still in use. Cracks not much worse since I stuck a 'Battery 1' label over it :-)
2018-3-19
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

JMR58 Posted at 2018-3-19 05:16
No more warranty,..first battery, has done the job...thanks anyway.

It's a pity. If you need any further assistance, feel free to contact us.
2018-3-20
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2173517 ft
Netherlands

One of my batteries has the exact same crack.. It's there since a few weeks, but the battery is older than 1 year. Is the crack getting larger over time?
2018-9-2
Use props
JMR58
Second Officer
  • >>>

Raimond Kollman Posted at 2018-9-2 22:53
One of my batteries has the exact same crack.. It's there since a few weeks, but the battery is older than 1 year. Is the crack getting larger over time?

I never used it again, brought it to a recuperation center.
2018-9-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

Raimond Kollman Posted at 2018-9-2 22:53

This was a known problem, where the casing seems to be part of a batch produced with cheaper plastic, or not so good case design. The crack is caused by pressure from the retaining spring used to hold battery clips in place when inserted in aircraft. I stuck a bit of tape over one I had like that, and two years later is still going strong.

I just noticed I gave same reply in post 8 :-)
2018-9-4
Use props
DEUCEDOG
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-4 07:37
This was a known problem, where the casing seems to be part of a batch produced with cheaper plastic, or not so good case design. The crack is caused by pressure from the retaining spring used to hold battery clips in place when inserted in aircraft. I stuck a bit of tape over one I had like that, and two years later is still going strong.

Yep i have the same cracks and also some on the sides near the retaining screws , the cells however  are good so i will keep the tape and glue handy
2018-9-4
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Netherlands

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-4 07:37
This was a known problem, where the casing seems to be part of a batch produced with cheaper plastic, or not so good case design. The crack is caused by pressure from the retaining spring used to hold battery clips in place when inserted in aircraft. I stuck a bit of tape over one I had like that, and two years later is still going strong.

Thanks, I'll keep on using it then! :-)
2018-9-5
Use props
Raimond Kollman
lvl.3
Netherlands

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-9-4 10:36
Yep i have the same cracks and also some on the sides near the retaining screws , the cells however  are good so i will keep the tape and glue handy

The other battery I have has quite a few cell deviations according to Airdata.com. I never saw any alarm about this in the app.

I keep an eye on these deviations. It's strange the DJI GO 4 app doesn't notice these deviations at all..
2018-9-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>

Raimond Kollman Posted at 2018-9-5 13:21
Thanks, I'll keep on using it then! :-)

Obviously keep an eye out for any voltage discrepancies etc, but if it's the same fault, as it seems to be, then there shouldn't really be any problems.

There were one or two posts where people had dissected batteries to show the problem.
2018-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules