o(^-^)o
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

matty@psionic.c Posted at 2015-5-10 18:36
Hi Rich,
All battery cells were even and fine on all three batteries. I checked immediately after h ...

This is really weird and needs to be addressed by DJI, hopefully it was on this last firmware update. Thank you for explaining the situation to us and I believe I will need to check my batteries prior to using them. I guess I need to put them on the charger regardless what the led lights are telling me.

Rich
2015-5-10
Use props
amccloud
lvl.1

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-5-10 23:38
This is really weird and needs to be addressed by DJI, hopefully it was on this last firmware upda ...

This just happened to me for the first time. I had a battery that was reporting 75% charged and I updated the my firmware using battery. Once the firmware update was done I had about 65% charge. I cautiously flew my inspire ~5ft off the grown to test out the new firmware and propellers. Exactly 1 minute into the flight the drone decided to land due to critical battery warning. Battery was now at 6%.
2015-5-10
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

amccloud Posted at 2015-5-11 05:50
This just happened to me for the first time. I had a battery that was reporting 75% charged and I  ...

did you top off your battery after the update?

I just finished my flight with the new firmware after topping off the battery. I got about 17 minutes total time with one flight of 8 min and one of 7min (TB47). I decided to let the battery drop the rest of the way from 18%. It only took about 3min to drop to 5% then landed.

Rich

2015-5-10
Use props
peterconquest3
lvl.2

United States

?.

(TB47)
For the long version, see my posting... but the short version of some interesting new data...

At first, I got a failure alert...

Screen Shot 2015-05-09 at 2.20.42 PM.png
Then, reseated the battery, and it flew fine.

Then, on investigating the "History", I see these amazing entries. Notice the contradictions...

Battery History Batt#1.jpg

Then, I look at other batteries history... no entries. And then I go back to my original battery with the bad history... and it now shows no entries, just like the other batteries.

Screen Shot 2015-05-10 at 6.40.50 PM.png
Now I'm completely stumped. DJI, some assistance here please?

2015-5-10
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Hey Matty,

So sorry to hear about your situation.

On another subject, I live about 8 minutes from the Roseville Bridge and fly there a lot.   We should totally go flying sometime!   I have my Inspire and my P3 arrives tomorrow.  

Let me know.

Jim
2015-5-10
Use props
ameya.walavalka
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27345374 ft
India

JKT Posted at 2015-5-6 22:31
The new firware should be able to fix that problem!

Hi,

had this same problem after updating the new firmware today (12th May 2015). Battery showed 33% and i initiated take off just to check that everything was fine. i was hovering at 5 feet when all of a sudden within less than 1.5 mins the aircraft showed only 7% and landed on it s own.

I tried the same thing with another battery that had 17% and the same thing happened.
2015-5-12
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

It continues to seem as though the ONLY safe way to take off is with a battery charged to 100%.  I have flown through multiple packs since the latest firmware/app updates and have seen no drops.  Based on what I've read here I wouldn't dare to take off using a partially-charged pack.
2015-5-12
Use props
amccloud
lvl.1

United States

@RichJ53 I did not top off the battery.

@peterconquest3 I saw exactly those same errors and behavior. Swapped to a battery with 100% nothing in log. Swapped back to failed battery after charging and the errors in the log were gone.
2015-5-12
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hi Rich,
All battery cells were even and fine on all three batteries. I checked immediately after h ...

Matty,
Do you have any news or updates with your batteries? I wonder if you have checked them again.

Rich
2015-5-13
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

So ... any clearification on this yet ?

Do we know if the battery really is "empty" when this alert is triggered or is it only the software that thinks so ?

Where did you store the batteries during auto discharge ... In the Inspire Case or in a ventilated area ?

I have my bird grounded for know (because of the battery problems) but as I yet again got the prompt to do a complete discharge / charge cycle from the pilot app after the latest update maybe this is the only thing I need to do to be able to have a safe flight ?
2015-5-13
Use props
theworstcase
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1407589 ft
Germany

I would call this a bug - my experiences are it happens when you power on with a battery charged less than 65%.

Started with 99% on the TB48 flew a couple minutes down to 60%. Moved to a different location and took off again with the same battery maybe 60 minutes later. After reaching 30% I returned but before reaching my place it dropped within seconds from 28% to 7% powered off and made a hard landing...

The other incident was similar with 1 day in between. Took off with around 55% on a TB47 to practice a couple camera moves maybe 15m above the ground with battery warning at 30%. barely had time to get it back to the ground safely after the 30% warning signal - they drop within seconds from 30% to 8% and emergency landing/crash.

Different Firmware on the two incidents. It would be great if DJI could bring a firmware update so we can fly safe on batteries not fully charged (which is important at least to me flying in remote locations without access to power during the day)
2015-5-13
Use props
TuonoV4
lvl.2

South Africa

Hi Rich,

Partly charged battery on first test flight after firmware update... battery gets to 53% and I get 'critical electrical failure' message. Bird just starts to land itself and in my rush to get her back, she goes down anyway - in real goony bird style. Luckly, nothing broken.

2015-5-21
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

This is EXACTLY what happened to one of my batteries after not being used for a couple of days.

Did you use this battery without any faults efter this ?

Are we safe from this as long as we use 100% fully loaded batteries ?
2015-5-22
Use props
matty
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18656654 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI need to respond to this issue as it's no a one-off event.

Jim, email me at info@rotorworks.com.au if you want to go for a fly.

2015-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules