Is the Spark no more.
1439 13 2018-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

I visited the Photography show yesterday at Birmingham's NEC in the UK.

Dji had a stand there. The only drones being demo'd were the Phantom 4, Mavic Pro and Air. Not a Spark in site.

This would also seem to tie up with the massive deals and also free controllers currently being given away by Dji, its like they are trying to clear all stocks, with all promo material being pointed at the Mavic Air.

What are your thoughts, is the Spark's used price just going to drop away. ?
2018-3-20
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

I wouldn't take a booth display as an indication of the future.

Compared to the other products displayed, the Spark is less interesting.  If anything, I'm surprised that they had a Mavic Pro there.
2018-3-20
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Sweden

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-3-20 07:08
I wouldn't take a booth display as an indication of the future.

Compared to the other products displayed, the Spark is less interesting.  If anything, I'm surprised that they had a Mavic Pro there.

True, but at a show like this every other manufacturer was showing everything they had.

If the Spark is still part of the current line up, then I would of expected it to be there also.
2018-3-20
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
United States

jksphoto Posted at 2018-3-20 07:15
True, but at a show like this every other manufacturer was showing everything they had.

If the Spark is still part of the current line up, then I would of expected it to be there also.

Interesting.  Well, they are definitely crowding the lower end of the drone spectrum lately with the Tello, Spark, Mavic Air, and Mavic Pro all available for under $1k.
2018-3-20
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Sweden

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-3-20 07:23
Interesting.  Well, they are definitely crowding the lower end of the drone spectrum lately with the Tello, Spark, Mavic Air, and Mavic Pro all available for under $1k.

I would agree. But they have the entire drone market, pretty much in their hands.
2018-3-20
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
United States

jksphoto Posted at 2018-3-20 07:26
I would agree. But they have the entire drone market, pretty much in their hands.

I think that this will start to slowly erode with the entrance of other companies making very good equipment.  As of right now, though, without doing research, we are immediately attracted to DJI for it's proven track record of producing extremely capable and dependable consumer grade drones at a decent price point.
2018-3-20
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Sweden

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-3-20 07:28
I think that this will start to slowly erode with the entrance of other companies making very good equipment.  As of right now, though, without doing research, we are immediately attracted to DJI for it's proven track record of producing extremely capable and dependable consumer grade drones at a decent price point.

Yes, I guess they will streamline the lineup.
Technology advances so fast, that a product goes out of date to quickly.
2018-3-20
Use props
ImTravis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 109734 ft
United States

They're probably trying to entice people who will spend more money to buy their drones with better cameras. Since the Spark only records at 1080p, they're probably not showing it at the Photo show. Instead they're showing their 4K camera drones. Just my guess anyways. Only DJI really knows the answer.
2018-3-20
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Sweden

ImTravis Posted at 2018-3-20 08:02
They're probably trying to entice people who will spend more money to buy their drones with better cameras. Since the Spark only records at 1080p, they're probably not showing it at the Photo show. Instead they're showing their 4K camera drones. Just my guess anyways. Only DJI really knows the answer.

and they won't tell us either :-(
2018-3-20
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

jksphoto Posted at 2018-3-20 07:15

Since they didn't have the Inspire, the Osmo, Osmo mobile 2, or the Ronin S, are those camera products also going away?  It would be too bad since they just released the Osmo mobile 2.  How did the DJI Zenmuse X7 and its lenses look?

I would expect the Spark's current model to go away when they release another entry level drone in the $400 dollar range.  Or, even in the $600 range with a fly more kit.  Until then, I don't see the Air at $800 - $1000 as impacting Spark sales any more than the Inspire does.

"It is just a matter of money.  How fast do you want to go?"
2018-3-20
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know why the Spark wouldn't be showcased by DJI, maybe it's the whole 4K thing?
2018-3-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

That is interesting indeed, although I doubt it means more than 'not the latest and greatest' anymore.
2018-3-20
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-20 11:05
That is interesting indeed, although I doubt it means more than 'not the latest and greatest' anymore.

The mavic pro was included and it is far from the latest and greatest.  It is the oldest drone in the lineup.  It think it is built with vacuum tubes, mechanical relays, and baling twine.  I think the twine string use is why the Pro often gets gimbal lock and soft edges on its camera.  
2018-3-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-3-20 12:06
The mavic pro was included and it is far from the latest and greatest.  It is the oldest drone in the lineup.  It think it is built with vacuum tubes, mechanical relays, and baling twine.  I think the twine string use is why the Pro often gets gimbal lock and soft edges on its camera.

Hahahahahahaha.
That might be true....
Although I would suspect they showed the MPP
2018-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules