Is it legal in the US to fly near wind turbines?
5924 12 2018-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChasesDronePics
lvl.4
Flight distance : 198990 ft
United States

From what I google, I don't see anywhere that says you can't, but I also don't see anywhere that says you can. I'm asking because I'd prefer not to get in trouble and to be respctful.
2018-3-20
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Any restrictions would likely be local laws, and that would therefore depend on where the turbines are.  But be cautious.  Most wind turbans are quit a bit more solid than your quad.    Also, you might not want to fly upwind from one - the turbine's wind that is, not God's.  
2018-3-20
Use props
ChasesDronePics
lvl.4
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-3-20 16:34
Any restrictions would likely be local laws, and that would therefore depend on where the turbines are.  But be cautious.  Most wind turbans are quit a bit more solid than your quad.    Also, you might not want to fly upwind from one - the turbine's wind that is, not God's.

Thank you for the advice! I keep looking for any laws or anything in my area and none are coming up, so I think I'm ok.
2018-3-20
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would love to be able to do a video crossing a wind turbine.  Like StanfordWebbie said check your local laws.
2018-3-20
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I have heard of no laws preventing flying near Wind Turbines.
As long as it doesn't come up as a NFZ you should be fine.

But since they're essentially power plants  there could be interference with your Compass or GPS.

Here is a short video of a flight around a wind turbine.
2018-3-20
Use props
ChasesDronePics
lvl.4
United States

B1houdini Posted at 2018-3-20 17:26

Thank you!
2018-3-20
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

Great video,  thanks for posting!
2018-3-20
Use props
Mountaindrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 26618251 ft
  • >>>
France

Nice video, good idea with the shadow !
2018-3-21
Use props
Gregbella
First Officer
Australia

I agree with Houdini might interfere with your compus
2018-3-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Apart from all the metal etc. there is another aspect to beware of: Wind turbines can generate quite strong vortices. If your AC gets pulled in, you might get it back in slices... ;-)
2018-3-21
Use props
djiuser_GJz8oAhbpqKJ
lvl.1

Canada

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-3-20 16:34
Any restrictions would likely be local laws, and that would therefore depend on where the turbines are.  But be cautious.  Most wind turbans are quit a bit more solid than your quad.    Also, you might not want to fly upwind from one - the turbine's wind that is, not God's.

Actually, the problem is not upwind from a wind turbine but downwind. Wind turbines do not suck in object like aircraft propellers do, quite the opposite, they slow down the wind, both in front of the rotor plane and behind the rotor plane, see the explanation here:
Wind flow around a turbine

Downwind the problem is that wind turbines create turbulence in their downstream wake, see the graphics here:
Wind turbine wake effect

Wind turbine wakes can be felt quite far away downstream, see this image:
Horn Rev I offshore wind farm, Denmark

The reason why you see the cloud formation in the image is that the air temperature and the humidity are a value where the pressure drop behind the rotor plane cools the air off, so that condensation starts.

2020-8-12
Use props
stevecn70
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5303678 ft
United States

djiuser_GJz8oAhbpqKJ Posted at 8-12 06:59
Actually, the problem is not upwind from a wind turbine but downwind. Wind turbines do not suck in object like aircraft propellers do, quite the opposite, they slow down the wind, both in front of the rotor plane and behind the rotor plane, see the explanation here:
Wind flow around a turbine

I was taking pictures of wind turbines this weekend.  When my drone was behind one of them, it had a hard time staying in one place, it kept drifting.  I don't know if it was interference from the generator or the wind.  There were some turbines that weren't moving so I felt more comfortable getting close to those.  There was about a 15 mph wind and I was able to get this close without experiencing any drifting

I also took some pictures at around 750 feet above ground since I was within 400 feet of one of the turbines that have a total height of around 450 feet.
2020-9-21
Use props
djiuser_894lSTjXx8zD
New

United States

I talked a helicopter tour guide into flying between two wind turbines in Brazil. I will try to find my video. In retrospect it was kind of nuts.
2021-2-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules