No Fly Zone Questions
1471 8 2018-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dhillskiier1653
lvl.2
Flight distance : 391818 ft
United States

I am going to be flying my P3 standard at the point on the attached image. Will I be able to take off or is there some restriction I don't know about? I never been near these no fly zones so I don't know what to expect.
Screenshot_20180320-190543.png
2018-3-21
Use props
WD9EON
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

Should be able to take off OK.  Might be limited in altitude if you fly north or north east
2018-3-21
Use props
Dhillskiier1653
lvl.2
United States

Also forgot to mention that the orange lines that are in a circle identify a helipad zone. I don't know if that changes anything
2018-3-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, please check the NFZ in GEO map as well: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
If you have got the local authorization, feel free to send emails to flysafe@dji.com for unlocking.
2018-3-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

+1 on Susan's post.

I guess you're referring to recreational flying.

Those yellow circles surrounding airports you see on your app may or may not be restricted on the DJI map/systems depending on the size of the airport.  You really need to look at the DJI map linked above to know for sure.  Study the differences between Restricted Zones, Authorization Zones, Warning Zones, and Enhanced Warning Zones so that you know what to expect.  

2018-3-22
Use props
Dhillskiier1653
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-21 23:12
Hi there, please check the NFZ in GEO map as well: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
If you have got the local authorization, feel free to send emails to  for unlocking.

So when I checked that link for the location, there was no circles. Am I good? The location is the point with the circle filled in. See attached image.
2018-3-22
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

It looks like you checked the Enhanced Warning Zone but didn't check the Warning Zone on the DJI map.  That's okay because you only get a pop up warning for the Warning zones anyway, they won't affect your flying.  That's the long answer.  

Short answer is Yes.  You are good.  

Don't forget you still have to notify those smaller airports shown in the OP if you fly within 5 miles of them.  
2018-3-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Dhillskiier1653 Posted at 2018-3-22 03:06
So when I checked that link for the location, there was no circles. Am I good? The location is the point with the circle filled in. See attached image. [view_image]

You may need this screenshot for a better understanding of the GEO Classification.
GEO Classification.png
2018-3-24
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

At the risk of being redundant, I don't think so, you are asking two different questions whether you realize it or not.  While most comments have generally hit on those two areas, let me attempt to be more direct.
First there is the question of your ability to fly based on DJI's Geo Fence, which is not always accurate and not necessarily up to date with FAA zones/fields; as you can see from this example where you get one set of zones with one app and a different set from DJI.  That said, if you are inside a DJI Red or Yellow circle then you will be restricted.  In a red zone you will not be able to takeoff and/or you will not be able to enter that defined area.  You will need to not only get permission from the FAA (first) but then you will have to apply to DJI to have them unlock that zone once you prove approval from the FAA.  In a yellow zone you can takeoff after you get a mother may I permission from DJI which you can do by simply following the prompts on the app or in advance on the DJI website for this Geo Fence system (yes you will need permission from a foreign corporation to fly in US airspace, regardless if the FAA already permits it and/or you have the permissions).  Now all of this covers what DJI may or may not permit.
However, as noted above, the other question is what you can do in the real world and that is required by the FAA's designated airspace restrictions, the ones that really count.  So, even if DJI says you are good and will allow you to takeoff and fly it does not necessarily mean you are OK as far as FAA rules go.  As noted you are not permitted to fly within 5 miles (there is a debate whether it's statute or nautical miles, I use nautical as that is what the FAA uses in nearly all their distance determinations) of any established airfield, not accounting for abandon or private use that may no longer be in use (one source for why DJI's circles are wrong at times).  Bottom line, stay away from any airfield or heliport by 5 miles unless you have appropriate FAA approval.  In addition, there are many major airports that have much larger airspace definitions with varying altitudes (known as the upside down Birthday cake) depending on distance from the field, the closer you get the lower the altitudes are until they reach the surface.  
All this means is if you can takeoff and fly you may still be restricted, which requires you to first check DJI's Geo Fence (a show stopper either way if they wont let you even start your motors) then if clear you must check for FAA designated and defined airspace that impacts your planned flying area and don't forget any federal, state, and local laws that my further restrict where you can takeoff from; while the FAA controls the airspace the other entities control where you can operate from.  
Realizing the train may have left the station on this, hope this helps clarify things a bit more
Fly Safe
2018-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules