Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Goggles - Worth Buying?
123Next >
20616 107 2018-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi All,

I have DJI's Mavic Pro and Spark but was wondering how the DJI Goggles fare - is it worth a buy? Is the transmission way more reliable and immersive than just using regular FPV of a smartphone?

Any candid feedback from folks who already have the Goggles is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Single SelectVote, Total 73 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

36.99% (27)
45.21% (33)
17.81% (13)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-3-21
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

yes - depends on your style of flying - but mostly i would say yes for sure.
2018-3-21
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-3-21 15:37
yes - depends on your style of flying - but mostly i would say yes for sure.

That is exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for - thank you.
2018-3-21
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1164226 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can fly in a way with my goggles that I would NEVER attempt to do without them. Way more confidence, that no phone or tablet screen came close to providing.  I fly under bridges and right up mountain sides with no fear. I really like to fly my Phantom 3 4k but don't because I can ride along with the Mavic. I dumped all the whistles and pano BS and rolled way back to a stable fw. Real happy, now.
2018-3-21
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Use the goggles with the inspires and Air so far and have proven to be invaluable, so yes well worth buying.  
2018-3-21
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DroneDriver Posted at 2018-3-21 16:58
I can fly in a way with my goggles that I would NEVER attempt to do without them. Way more confidence, that no phone or tablet screen came close to providing.  I fly under bridges and right up mountain sides with no fear. I really like to fly my Phantom 3 4k but don't because I can ride along with the Mavic. I dumped all the whistles and pano BS and rolled way back to a stable fw. Real happy, now.

Guess I should have added that it is an experience like I have never had before, yea, that good.
And I get to do it every day.
Sport mode 2 feet off the ground balls to the wall. You better be leaning against something!
2018-3-21
Use props
Jay W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 259462 ft
Malaysia

This is going to add another item to my "to buy" list for the MP.
2018-3-21
Use props
BranDrone007
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1179039 ft
  • >>>
United States

You will NOT regret getting the goggles, I can almost guarantee it! Everyone is different and have different tastes for sure.. I also have a Mavic Pro and Spark and the quality of video and signal transmission from the goggles are so good! To be honest, the video quality when using the Mavic is best, you’ll get the full HD experience... I absolutely love them!! I hope that helps... it’s a no brainer, I’m telling you!!
2018-3-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have the goggles, which work well and were primarily developed with the Mavic Pro in mind (Connection to spark would be USB to controller, and limitations apply if aircraft is not initialised with a device running a 'logged on' DJI Go 4 App').

From a practical point of view unless your eyesight is perfect you will need glasses (I have prescription reading glasses, set for reading distance about 9.5 inches if I remember correctly). Many have also had success with 'focus fixing' lenses that can clip into unit. It is a very immersive view, and I find them comfortable enough to wear even with my glasses.

You will also likely need a 'spotter', somebody to keep an eye on the sky for other aircraft & objects that might cause problems. I'm not sure what the FAA rules are, but imagine they would be similar to CAA here in UK.

One of the biggies is the Ocusync wireless feed to the goggles, which at close range gives you a 1080P FPV stream. Also you can give goggles to another person, fly Mavic Pro using your standard display and give them a birds-eye FPV flight :-)

With latest firmware you can also playback any .mov or .mp4 movies on an sd card inserted into goggles, or view your Panoramic photos using head movement.

If you can afford them then I would get them, but be prepared to spend a little time getting correct reading glasses or whatever to get focus good. When that works well then you will enjoy the experience.

There are one or two threads already that are worth reading both here and in the Phantom 'Goggles' section.

2018-3-21
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneDriver Posted at 2018-3-21 16:58

Do the Goggles have a much different interface of the DJI GO 4 than the smart device version? I'm just saying because I have FPV goggles that you can slip in your smartphone and view the app in, I did this with the DJI GO 4 app and the image was good but I would be reluctant to fly under bridges using it, so I'm just asking if the Goggles have a different kind of interface that allows you to see the image more intimately? Thanks.
2018-3-21
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

BranDrone007 Posted at 2018-3-21 17:22
You will NOT regret getting the goggles, I can almost guarantee it! Everyone is different and have different tastes for sure.. I also have a Mavic Pro and Spark and the quality of video and signal transmission from the goggles are so good! To be honest, the video quality when using the Mavic is best, you’ll get the full HD experience... I absolutely love them!! I hope that helps... it’s a no brainer, I’m telling you!!

Thank you for the feedback. All the input I'm getting it's making me think long and hard about getting the Goggles. Thanks!
2018-3-21
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Definitely get the goggles. I got my Re’s in December and been very happy.  Like DroneDriver said you fly with more confidence.
2018-3-21
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Woe Posted at 2018-3-21 18:01
Definitely get the goggles. I got my Re’s in December and been very happy.  Like DroneDriver said you fly with more confidence.

OK, thank you for the reply.
2018-3-21
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-21 17:24
I have the goggles, which work well and were primarily developed with the Mavic Pro in mind (Connection to spark would be USB to controller, and limitations apply if aircraft is not initialised with a device running a 'logged on' DJI Go 4 App').

From a practical point of view unless your eyesight is perfect you will need glasses (I have prescription reading glasses, set for reading distance about 9.5 inches if I remember correctly). Many have also had success with 'focus fixing' lenses that can clip into unit. It is a very immersive view, and I find them comfortable enough to wear even with my glasses.

I will take a look at the two threads that are worth mentioning, thank you.
2018-3-21
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jay W Posted at 2018-3-21 17:14
This is going to add another item to my "to buy" list for the MP.

I'm probably going to be in the same boat as you :-)
2018-3-21
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, there, as far as I am concerned, the Goggles is worth buying.
2018-3-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not in the Netherlands.
We are not allowed to fly without LOS.
So you can share your view with somebody else, but not with yourself.
Now I know there are pilots that still do so, but that is another discussion
2018-3-21
Use props
Andrew_tw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1157464 ft
  • >>>

M2Wair Posted at 2018-3-21 17:08
Use the goggles with the inspires and Air so far and have proven to be invaluable, so yes well worth buying.

So DJI goggles works fine with Mavic Air?
Just like to confirm this... thanks
2018-3-21
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

If you mean the new RE Goggles I love them. but you won't want to use them all the time.
Have you're Tablet running too so you can quickly switch from one to the other, I like to swing the Goggs up and go to the tablet for Takeoffs and landings.
Great fun is using you're Tablet and giving the goggles to a friend so you can both fly in the same Drone, huge fun!
Then again a minority just hate goggles of any kind..
2018-3-22
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Andrew_tw Posted at 2018-3-21 23:30
So DJI goggles works fine with Mavic Air?
Just like to confirm this... thanks

Yes, but whatever mobile device you use will not be operable. We use them mainly on the inspires, one person on the camera and a second to fly.

I would suggest using your goggles with a spotter if used with the air.
2018-3-22
Use props
DroneDriver
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-21 17:47
Do the Goggles have a much different interface of the DJI GO 4 than the smart device version? I'm just saying because I have FPV goggles that you can slip in your smartphone and view the app in, I did this with the DJI GO 4 app and the image was good but I would be reluctant to fly under bridges using it, so I'm just asking if the Goggles have a different kind of interface that allows you to see the image more intimately? Thanks.

The phone in the VR goggles is a joke, a toy, poor man's gaming tool.

If you like the Mavic, you cannot imagine how good this looks and adds depth to the experience like NOTHING else. Do yourself a favor and find a way to try them out.

Owning a Mavic and not having goggles would be like owning a pair of shoes and just wearing one of them, now that I know better.

They look stupid, feel stupid when you wear them, and take a while to learn how to use them. Just call me King stupid on the honor roll...

2018-3-22
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a P4P+ and Goggles. Flying with the Goggles on is the ultimate experience. It completely changes your perspective. Just make sure you learn the settings, and the use of the control pad before you fly.

Jeff
2018-3-22
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-3-21 23:04
Hi, there, as far as I am concerned, the Goggles is worth buying.

But why are they sooooooo big DJI Diana...??
2018-3-22
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Skymax. Posted at 2018-3-22 00:08
If you mean the new RE Goggles I love them. but you won't want to use them all the time.
Have you're Tablet running too so you can quickly switch from one to the other, I like to swing the Goggs up and go to the tablet for Takeoffs and landings.
Great fun is using you're Tablet and giving the goggles to a friend so you can both fly in the same Drone, huge fun!

The RE editions can also be used with Race Quads but I wouldn't turn up with these as they so mahoosive compaired to a pair of FatShark goggles. Just why are they so big ?? Surely the wizards at DJI Bat Cave could have come up with a smaller pair...
2018-3-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

DroneDriver Posted at 2018-3-22 03:06
The phone in the VR goggles is a joke, a toy, poor man's gaming tool.

If you like the Mavic, you cannot imagine how good this looks and adds depth to the experience like NOTHING else. Do yourself a favor and find a way to try them out.

Excellent and I appreciate the perspective from phone in VR goggles compared to DJI Goggles. I'm getting great feedback from everyone and it's certainly helping. Thanks.
2018-3-22
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

They're great for public relations too. Hand them to a bystander and let them see what the AC sees while you fly around in sport mode. Everyone I've done this with is extremely impressed.
2018-3-22
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-3-22 15:34
They're great for public relations too. Hand them to a bystander and let them see what the AC sees while you fly around in sport mode. Everyone I've done this with is extremely impressed.

Good suggestion, thanks for the input.
2018-3-22
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-22 16:43

I'd also have a look at the Epson BT-300 glasses as a comparison
2018-3-30
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-22 16:43

I have a pair of FatShark V3 Dominators (which I have had for years) that I use for my racequads (they have an HDMI MIni In port), I equipped my P3P with a HDMI module a couple of years ago to get FPV out of the P3P, that was one of my critical reasons I bought the Crystal Sky, because it also has an HDMI output and the CS works with all DJI Models, so now when I want to fly FPV with any of my drones I just use the CS. The FatSharks give me more versitility. I clicked maybe, they are a good accessory but there is a learning curve to flying FPV and some people have a hard time adjusting.

2018-3-30
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

lannes Posted at 2018-3-30 16:05
I'd also have a look at the Epson BT-300 glasses as a comparison

Yes - I have reviewed them. The Epson BT-300 glasses are more of a image painted onto your retina type technology, rather than the DJI Goggles as being more of an ambient lighted display that you're watching up close.

Both have their appeals and drawbacks.

I think the DJI Goggles are probably the better to use of the two, when flying a Mavic Pro or Spark. I'd just wish that the size and overall cumbersomeness of the DJI Goggles were more like your typical Fatshark FPV race goggles or something aka small and compactness.

Thank you.
2018-3-30
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-30 20:39
Yes - I have reviewed them. The Epson BT-300 glasses are more of a image painted onto your retina type technology, rather than the DJI Goggles as being more of an ambient lighted display that you're watching up close.

Both have their appeals and drawbacks.

I have a different option, got the googles last November and after few flights I prefer to use the phone to fly. I do not feel like ”flying" or any 3d effect with the goggles. Also, for watching movies or anything else I think my cheap Daydream is nicer.
2018-3-31
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

With those goggles on you can't see the cop car pulling over next to you to fine you for flying beyond visual line of sight.

So I voted not worth it, since the laws over here prohibit you from flying with the goggles on.
2018-3-31
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-31 03:46
With those goggles on you can't see the cop car pulling over next to you to fine you for flying beyond visual line of sight.  

So I voted not worth it, since the laws over here prohibit you from flying with the goggles on.

Can you not use somebody as a spotter, as is allowed in U.K ?

2018-3-31
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

p.s the Goggles U.K price in DJI store has been cut from £499 to £349.
2018-3-31
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-31 06:45
Can you not use somebody as a spotter, as is allowed in U.K ?

That's a very good question, and must admit, I really wouldn't know.
2018-3-31
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-31 08:10
That's a very good question, and must admit, I really wouldn't know.

This is an extract relating to UK models flying FPV:-

1) The person in charge is the person piloting the SUA.
2) The person in charge is accompanied by a competent observer who maintains direct unaided visual contact with the SUA sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions and advises the person in charge accordingly.
2018-3-31
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

eried Posted at 2018-3-31 03:39
I have a different option, got the googles last November and after few flights I prefer to use the phone to fly. I do not feel like ”flying" or any 3d effect with the goggles. Also, for watching movies or anything else I think my cheap Daydream is nicer.

Glad to hear your review and I appreciate your reply. Thanks!
2018-3-31
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-31 06:46
p.s the Goggles U.K price in DJI store has been cut from £499 to £349.

That is a good savings amount of quid..
2018-3-31
Use props
SparksBird
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Making me add this to my must have list now as well.  
2018-3-31
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

SparksBird Posted at 2018-3-31 12:13
Making me add this to my must have list now as well.

Why not? Might as well, you do own a Mavic Pro?..
2018-3-31
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules