9346 32 2018-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
André da Cruz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 52470 ft
Portugal

Hi guys,

Not sure if this issue has been discussed but I really need help.
Today I started my Spark and flew a bit and for some reason the drone bumped in a wall, a very small bump and I was quick to stop it and land it.
It seems the drone lost GPS signal or something.

When I checked the DJI app I was having a "Motor obstructed" error. Immediately turned everything off and checked for any signs of damage.
Everything seems ok, no damage, every motor are rotating just fine by hand. I took the propellers and fit them again.
Turned everything on and no errors or warnings were shown.
I even flew it for a bit in a very controlled way to check if everything was ok and no problems occurred.

Should I be worried to take it to big flights or I shoudn't worry?
This was the first time I "crashed" the drone so I'm a bit worried...

Thank you guys in advance for the help.
2018-3-21
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17913 ft
Philippines

I wound suggest you to open the quad and check for any debris that might get inside it on your crash, or better to send it to DJI or an expert to check.
2018-3-21
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Philippines

I would also not risk flying it too far now with that error. It might shutdown mid air and might cause bigger problem to you. Always fly safe!
2018-3-21
Use props
acferreira
lvl.2
Portugal

RjMllr Posted at 2018-3-21 16:50
I would also not risk flying it too far now with that error. It might shutdown mid air and might cause bigger problem to you. Always fly safe!

My issue is that the error is gone... It showed once and never more... but now I'm a bit suspicious and worried
2018-3-21
Use props
DrohneMann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 87415 ft
  • >>>
United States

RjMllr Posted at 2018-3-21 16:50

I really don't think people should open up their quads unless they are very sure they know what they're doing. I am not sure if their like apple where if you do it yourself you void the warranty, but it just isn't worth the issues should it fail on you. This personal preference but I am just giving my opinion on this topic because if you're like me you don't want to risk breaking your drone even more.
2018-3-21
Use props
acferreira
lvl.2
Portugal

DrohneMann Posted at 2018-3-21 17:06
I really don't think people should open up their quads unless they are very sure they know what they're doing. I am not sure if their like apple where if you do it yourself you void the warranty, but it just isn't worth the issues should it fail on you. This personal preference but I am just giving my opinion on this topic because if you're like me you don't want to risk breaking your drone even more.

I'm absolutely not going to try and fix anything myself. The only thing I did was taking the props and putting them again in place and restarting everything.

The error didn't show yet anymore
2018-3-21
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Philippines

DrohneMann Posted at 2018-3-21 17:06
I really don't think people should open up their quads unless they are very sure they know what they're doing. I am not sure if their like apple where if you do it yourself you void the warranty, but it just isn't worth the issues should it fail on you. This personal preference but I am just giving my opinion on this topic because if you're like me you don't want to risk breaking your drone even more.

It it is still under warranty, just send it to DJI, and they will do the work. If you are not confident doing it yourself, better not to.
2018-3-21
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Philippines

acferreira Posted at 2018-3-21 17:06
My issue is that the error is gone... It showed once and never more... but now I'm a bit suspicious and worried

It is more scary if it reappears mid air
2018-3-21
Use props
acferreira
lvl.2
Portugal

RjMllr Posted at 2018-3-21 16:49
I wound suggest you to open the quad and check for any debris that might get inside it on your crash, or better to send it to DJI or an expert to check.

I'm not confident to open the drone... I just checked the propellers and started the motors to check if they work properly and I couldn't see any problem. The drone flies well and the error didn't show up again.

I'm just a bit afraid to be confident with it again.
2018-3-21
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

Definitely open a case with DJI. DO NOT open ur quad it WILL void ur warranty. If the error is gone there shouldnt be any problems but open up a case anyways.
2018-3-21
Use props
acferreira
lvl.2
Portugal

RjMllr Posted at 2018-3-21 17:10
It is more scary if it reappears mid air

You're right... and yes the drone is still under warranty. I think there's an official dealership in my town, maybe I will take the drone to them and see what they think.

Thank you
2018-3-21
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Philippines

acferreira Posted at 2018-3-21 17:11
I'm not confident to open the drone... I just checked the propellers and started the motors to check if they work properly and I couldn't see any problem. The drone flies well and the error didn't show up again.

I'm just a bit afraid to be confident with it again.

Maybe do multiple flights to build your trust again. Like first you fly 10M away, then 20M next, then 50M next. Until you confirm that the quad has no problem. Be sure to do it in a safe area, just in case
2018-3-21
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Philippines

acferreira Posted at 2018-3-21 17:15
You're right... and yes the drone is still under warranty. I think there's an official dealership in my town, maybe I will take the drone to them and see what they think.

Thank you

That's good to know. Good luck on your quad! Hope it will go ok
2018-3-21
Use props
acferreira
lvl.2
Portugal

BeastMaster_101 Posted at 2018-3-21 17:12
Definitely open a case with DJI. DO NOT open ur quad it WILL void ur warranty. If the error is gone there shouldnt be any problems but open up a case anyways.

Yes, I already sent them an email to know what they think but I'm afraid I already know the answer, they're gonna request me to send the drone to repair... Let's see what they say...

Hopefully it was just once...
Thank you
2018-3-21
Use props
EMTDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247933 ft
United States

I got also got a "Motor obstructed" warning after a minor collision.  It was my first flight and the drone literally drifted backward and bumped the wall and then fell.  I got the obstruction warning and got a bunch of flashing red lights.  I did as you did... immediately shut everything down, popped of the props, checked that the motors spun freely...  I restarted and never had that error again.  HOWEVER... since then I have noticed that my spark tends to drift backward.  (whether I'm inside, outside, GPS lock, atti...)  This last time, it not only drifted backward, it accelerated backward into another wall.  I just sent it into a service center with a rear broken arm, broken motor and cracked top case.  I guess all of this is to say: I wouldn't take any chances... I'd send it in to get it checked out.  I should have done that when it started drifting (not that you have that problem) and got that warning when it crashed
2018-3-21
Use props
acferreira
lvl.2
Portugal

RjMllr Posted at 2018-3-21 17:16
Maybe do multiple flights to build your trust again. Like first you fly 10M away, then 20M next, then 50M next. Until you confirm that the quad has no problem. Be sure to do it in a safe area, just in case

I guess I'll try that... Maybe it was just a warning right after the crash and just a propeller out of place... I hope it was only that...

Thank you so much for the help
2018-3-21
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Philippines

acferreira Posted at 2018-3-21 17:21
I guess I'll try that... Maybe it was just a warning right after the crash and just a propeller out of place... I hope it was only that...

Thank you so much for the help

I just saw a reply from EMTDad, better check it
2018-3-21
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Philippines

EMTDad Posted at 2018-3-21 17:19
I got also got a "Motor obstructed" warning after a minor collision.  It was my first flight and the drone literally drifted backward and bumped the wall and then fell.  I got the obstruction warning and got a bunch of flashing red lights.  I did as you did... immediately shut everything down, popped of the props, checked that the motors spun freely...  I restarted and never had that error again.  HOWEVER... since then I have noticed that my spark tends to drift backward.  (whether I'm inside, outside, GPS lock, atti...)  This last time, it not only drifted backward, it accelerated backward into another wall.  I just sent it into a service center with a rear broken arm, broken motor and cracked top case.  I guess all of this is to say: I wouldn't take any chances... I'd send it in to get it checked out.  I should have done that when it started drifting (not that you have that problem) and got that warning when it crashed

That is sad to read on what happened on your bird. But thank you for sharing it. It will save pilots to avoid this kind of mistake in the future. Hope you can get back into air soon!
2018-3-21
Use props
acferreira
lvl.2
Portugal

EMTDad Posted at 2018-3-21 17:19
I got also got a "Motor obstructed" warning after a minor collision.  It was my first flight and the drone literally drifted backward and bumped the wall and then fell.  I got the obstruction warning and got a bunch of flashing red lights.  I did as you did... immediately shut everything down, popped of the props, checked that the motors spun freely...  I restarted and never had that error again.  HOWEVER... since then I have noticed that my spark tends to drift backward.  (whether I'm inside, outside, GPS lock, atti...)  This last time, it not only drifted backward, it accelerated backward into another wall.  I just sent it into a service center with a rear broken arm, broken motor and cracked top case.  I guess all of this is to say: I wouldn't take any chances... I'd send it in to get it checked out.  I should have done that when it started drifting (not that you have that problem) and got that warning when it crashed

That's my real concern... It was a minor bump and I was able to stop it but the warning popped up... I think I'll try flight it a few times to see if there's any abnormal behavior... If it is noticeable maybe I have no choice but to send it to repair.

Thank you so much
2018-3-21
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I think you got the motor obstructed warning when it hit the wall... you know.. the propeller hit the wall and was obstructed.  If the error did not come back after you restarted the drone then I don't think you have any problem at all.    Still.. do a few caucus flights low and close to be sure all it well.
2018-3-21
Use props
RotorOne
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9619 ft
United States

I would imagine the error message was due to the small impact with the wall if it was there as you landed immediately following the crash. I would double double check those blades and body for damage and reset settings if  you notice any drift/blurr. Take it to a open field and fly low n slow to rebuild that confidence n test for saftey.
2018-3-21
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

acferreira Posted at 2018-3-21 17:25
That's my real concern...  It was a minor bump and I was able to stop it but the warning popped up... I think I'll try flight it a few times to see if there's any abnormal behavior... If it is noticeable maybe I have no choice but to send it to repair.

Thank you so much

I believe that our support will take a good care of your case. Please inform us if you have doubt in the case. Thanks.
2018-3-21
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

LouisP Posted at 2018-3-21 18:35
I think you got the motor obstructed warning when it hit the wall... you know.. the propeller hit the wall and was obstructed.  If the error did not come back after you restarted the drone then I don't think you have any problem at all.    Still.. do a few caucus flights low and close to be sure all it well.

I agree with LouisP...the motor was turning, you hit a wall, it tried to turn but couldn't, that triggered a message.  All should be good from what you say you've done.  Just take it easy.  Maybe fly over grass a time or two...not very high.
2018-3-21
Use props
acferreira
lvl.2
Portugal

LouisP Posted at 2018-3-21 18:35

I will definitely do that. Visually I don't see any issue, everything is ok, I even replaced the blades for new ones just in case. The first flight went ok, but it was dark and I couldn't see properly. I'll do some test flights to see if everything goes ok. Even trying to let the drone be stationary, hovering, to see if it moves by himself.

Thank you so much for the help and hope
2018-3-22
Use props
acferreira
lvl.2
Portugal

RotorOne Posted at 2018-3-21 18:43
I would imagine the error message was due to the small impact with the wall if it was there as you landed immediately following the crash. I would double double check those blades and body for damage and reset settings if  you notice any drift/blurr. Take it to a open field and fly low n slow to rebuild that confidence n test for saftey.

I will definitely  try that... Small baby steps to check if everything works as expected.
Hopefully it was just a scary episode.

Thank you for the help
2018-3-22
Use props
acferreira
lvl.2
Portugal

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-21 19:36
I believe that our support will take a good care of your case. Please inform us if you have doubt in the case. Thanks.

Thank you for the reply.
The support just sent me an email telling me to try flying the drone and check if no error message appears. If everything goes ok, then there will be no problem with the drone and I can proceed with my life

I hope I'm lucky
2018-3-22
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

acferreira Posted at 2018-3-22 02:23
Thank you for the reply.
The support just sent me an email telling me to try flying the drone and check if no error message appears. If everything goes ok, then there will be no problem with the drone and I can proceed with my life

I see. Hope there is nothing wrong with your drone.
2018-3-22
Use props
acferreira
lvl.2
Portugal

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-3-22 03:06
I see. Hope there is nothing wrong with your drone.

Hope so... If I see any abnormal behavior I will contact DJI Support service.
Thank you
2018-3-22
Use props
Jerpie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 191211 ft
Netherlands

Rustic17 Posted at 2018-3-21 21:45
I agree with LouisP...the motor was turning, you hit a wall, it tried to turn but couldn't, that triggered a message.  All should be good from what you say you've done.  Just take it easy.  Maybe fly over grass a time or two...not very high.

I do agree!
2018-3-22
Use props
Firehawk989
Second Officer
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

Yea I think in this case the "OMG! send it back to DJI" is a bit of an overreaction. That error is a normal error if you hit something with the props. As long as it doesn't come back during normal flight which would indicate a bent motor shaft or something along those lines you should be just fine to keep flying! Agree that a low test flight over grass is a good idea just in case, but it should be fine.
2018-3-22
Use props
acferreira
lvl.2
Portugal

Firehawk989 Posted at 2018-3-22 09:18
Yea I think in this case the "OMG! send it back to DJI" is a bit of an overreaction. That error is a normal error if you hit something with the props. As long as it doesn't come back during normal flight which would indicate a bent motor shaft or something along those lines you should be just fine to keep flying! Agree that a low test flight over grass is a good idea just in case, but it should be fine.

I definitely overreacted it was my first crash with my beloved Spark... I will do as you guys say and fly low and in a controlled way to check if everything is ok and also to gain some confidence.

Hopefully everything is ok

Thank you guys so much for the help, I'll let you guys know how it went
2018-3-22
Use props
acferreira
lvl.2
Portugal

Well guys, first of all thanks you all for the responses and for the help.

Today, I finally was able to take my spark for a spin a check if everything was ok, it has been raining everyday, so I couldn't fly it earlier.

I made as you guys said, fly low, controlled over some grass and it went smooth. The spark doesn't seem to have any kind of damage. Also I let it hover for quite a bit and he stayed in placed perfectly. I even pushed a bit by using sport mode and spinning it around really fast and it worked also perfectly.

Overall I really just panic and overreacted.

I fell reliefed now and happy
2018-3-26
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Philippines

acferreira Posted at 2018-3-26 16:53
Well guys, first of all thanks you all for the responses and for the help.

Today, I finally was able to take my spark for a spin a check if everything was ok, it has been raining everyday, so I couldn't fly it earlier.

Cool! Good for you and your Spark
2018-3-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules